Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Ibook tried to cook itself last night

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ibook tried to cook itself last night
dazwan

2006-01-24, 10:09

Hi,
I just wondered if anyone else had experience anything similar to what happened last night. I was using my iBook last night and had it plugged into the mains. I then put it to sleep and left it in it's Gimp sleeve but still plugged in, and went to bed.

I awoke at 5am this morning to the sound of my iBook's fan going hell-for-leather whilst zipped up all snug in it's sleeve. When I realised what was happening I unzipped the sleeve and took my baking hot ibook out of the sleeve. Nothing was working at the time (overheated I guess!) but the fan just went on for a few minutes before eventually managing to get the heat down as it now had somewhere to exhaust all that hot air.

Thing is, the laptop had been sat for well over 5 hours and was on the "normal" power settings for being plugged in (ie, even if I didn't wait for it to sleep it should have gone to sleep after 15mins of inactivity surely). Fortunately after a reboot everything worked fine as far as I can tell, but I wondered if this was one of those stupid things that you should never ever do that I wasn't aware of or was it some freak occurence. One thing's for certain, the ibook is never napping in it's bag again.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-24, 10:16

Well, you shouldn't put it in anything fabric-based while it's doing stuff. However, you said you put it to sleep. So it would appear that for some reason, it went out of sleep. Will be difficult to figure out exactly what happened without more information.
arnoct

2006-01-24, 10:34

yeah never have something on in a fabric enclosure. Even if it's asleep, things like this can happen.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-24, 11:06

The battery of my PB gets quite hot while charging. So it doesn't surprise me that it overheats when put into a sleeve, with no way of getting rid of the heat - even when turned off/sleeping.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-01-24, 11:25

Maybe when the fan turned on, it kicked it out of sleep?
dazwan

2006-01-24, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoct
yeah never have something on in a fabric enclosure. Even if it's asleep, things like this can happen.
I know that now! . I'll never leave it in it's sleeve again!

I guess ultimately, it just serves as a warning that sometimes computers will do something stupid if given half a chance. I'm just glad that nothing got damaged as it was very hot. I wonder if I could cut a vent in my slip case to let the air out...
evilswan

2006-01-24, 12:14

maybe the mothership at cupertino sent it a message to suicide - forcing you to buy a macbook.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-24, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazwan
I guess ultimately, it just serves as a warning that sometimes computers will do something stupid if given half a chance.
Batteries get hot when they're being charged, that's nothing special, and not your poor computer's fault
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazwan
I'm just glad that nothing got damaged as it was very hot. I wonder if I could cut a vent in my slip case to let the air out...
Why do you have to keep it in there? It won't get scratched from just lying around.
dazwan

2006-01-24, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Batteries get hot when they're being charged, that's nothing special, and not your poor computer's fault

Why do you have to keep it in there? It won't get scratched from just lying around.
The battery was fully charged, so it was cool.

The machine had also been off for 5 hours, this is what I can't understand, why did my machine just decide to wake up in the middle of the night and then not go back to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity?

I usually keep it in the case so I can just pick it up in the morning and stuff it in my bag without messing about too much. I also have a 2 year old son which means that things do in fact get broken or scratched just from lying around!

I guess I'll just have to live and learn. I definitely won't be keeping it in the case and will just have to find somewhere good to hide it when my son is around.
dazwan

2006-01-24, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilswan
maybe the mothership at cupertino sent it a message to suicide - forcing you to buy a macbook.
I've just noticed this headline on Gizmodo:
Quote:
MacIntel Only 25% Faster than G5 - When Jobs Lies, MacBooks Fry

Too much of a coincidence for my liking!
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-24, 13:47

I thought you had charged it in the sleeve, my bad.