iBook Logic Board Questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook Logic Board Questions
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2004-12-08, 10:45

I'm sure we are all aware of the iBook logic board repair program.

Back in April my iBook crashed hard, lost both the logic board and the HD.
I have a 14" iBook G3 600 with 640 ram and a third party 60 gig HD.

The HD was still under warrenty, and the guy replaced the logic board. (so he said) But he told me that the "new" logic board would not allow me to boot into OS9 because that OS was no longer being supported.

Some time in August I was looking around, and went into the start up disc System prefs and found an OS9 folder, clicked on it and restarted. Up into OS9 went the iBook!!??!! While wondering why the repair guy would tell me that it wouldn't when clearly it would, I noticed that much of the software that was part of a basic OS9 install wasn't there. I put in what I needed, installed "ProTools Free" (the reason I still want to boot into OS9) and went on with my life.

About a week ago on a flight from Detroit to Amsterdam the iBook crashed again. It was in my case asleep, I took it out, plugged into the Air planes provided power source, and opened the iBook. Nothing. Powered it up, all I got was a grey screen?? My first thought was that the power on the airplane was funky and it had "zapped" my iBook. But when I got to Amsterdam I tried it again, and it worked just fine!!

Put the thing to sleep and got on my next flight. Got to Madrid and the iBook is still working. I then had to check on my next flight, put the iBook to sleep again and it has not worked since. Nothing but the grey screen no matter what I do.

I have taken it to a different repair guy, his diagnosis is that the logic board is dead, but that the HD is ok. When he opened up the iBook, we saw that the logic board said "Apple 2001"???

Here are my questions:

1: Does Apple sell re-furbished logic boards?
2: Anybody ever had problems powering their laptop on an airplane?
3: Is it possible or likely that the constant rebooting between OS9 and OSX
is what's causing the logic boards to fail?

I wonder about that last question because the first repair guy obviously didnt put in a "new" logic board, and he told me that I wouldn't be able to boot into OS9. Also because of a coversation I had with another Mac guy while in Spain. He said he had heard that the constant rebooting between the OS's could cause "issues".

Sorry for the long post, but I really want to figure out what is going on. A new laptop isn't in the budget, but I would really hate to keep pouring money down the drain on this iBook!!

thanks in advance,

rob

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-12-08, 23:24

1: Does Apple sell re-furbished logic boards?

Short answer, no, Apple does not 'sell' refurbished iBook G3 logic boards to people who have the logic board replaced under the replacement program.

The replacement program covers the part and labour for a logic board replacement on G3 iBooks if the iBook is showing the right problems. (mostly video related.)

Guess what, most of these boards were made back in 2001... now, the 'Apple 2001' thing you saw might just be the date of design too. Either case, if you replaced the logic board through the program, then it does not matter what logic board Apple gives you, as long as it works.

2: Anybody ever had problems powering their laptop on an airplane?

This could have been what caused the relaps of the iBook... but it could also be many other things.

3: Is it possible or likely that the constant rebooting between OS9 and OSX
is what's causing the logic boards to fail?

I don't see any reason how booting into OS 9 and OSX back and forth would cause problems... in fact that sounds a bit odd. Now, what could cause a problem is if you are in OS9 and you start poking about your OSX folder. . . this may fuck something up.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-12-08, 23:26

I'm not sure that you should need to pour money into this iBook for its repairs. I did get AppleCare, but apart from that, I haven't spent a dime on any of the times that my G3 800 needed to be fixed.

I can't imagine that booting into different OSes would have anything to do with hardware failure. iBooks aren't combustion engines trying to run on diesel and hydrogen, after all.

Start bugging Apple for a whole new replacement. No need to start yelling or cursing at them, but be stern and professional about it. I'm on my fourth logic board now, and the agreement I have with them is that if there's anything going wrong with it (even if it's not video-related), they'll give me a new one. I've been really patient, and I think they know that.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2004-12-09, 14:17

No, I haven't poked around in OSX stuff while in OS9.

I was just wondering, and trying to make 2 + 2 = 7
Really no idea why, just a bit miffed that I am going thru this again.

Good news is, the first repair guy is going to submit this logic board to Apple for replacement. So all I will be out is shipping. No big deal. Should have it back in a week or so. Hopefully this time is will last until I can afford a new box!

BarracksSi, Apple told me on my first phone call this summer. (just after my iBook was added to the "recall") "We could not be asked to pay for somebody else's work!"

Not sure why I should have to "front" them the money for a logic board while they wait and see if I'm going to be part of it. I got the last logic board for about half of what Apple is asking....

thanks guys.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-12-09, 16:11

Hmm, interesting...

Nobody's worked on my iBook except Apple, so that might be why they don't have any concerns about what's been done to it -- anything wrong is entirely Apple's fault and can't be pinned on someone else, even if another repairman is like a repair god.

Maybe Apple can be persuaded, since this is a problem regardless of who worked on it. The odds of that happening are worse in your case than in mine, though.