Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iTunes 5.0 speculation

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes 5.0 speculation
Page 5 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5]  Thread Tools
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-05-01, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by irchs
Please give us some official Ogg support, with streaming, and hopefully iPod support too. Rumor has it that the new newer processors going into the iPod have the power to decode Ogg as a reasonable rate, so this feature wouldn't go unappreciated.

And for informative purposes, Ogg is much better at lower bitrates than any other codec, particularly the newer versions.
Ogg Vorbis is only marginally better than AAC, is hardly adopted in the industry at all, thus uninteresting, and takes up much more CPU power, thus draining the battery and being non-realtime on older-generation iPods.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-05-01, 00:49

I know you can do it manually but I'd like to see a back-up or sync service offered for .Mac users where every song you buy is either cataloged or stored in your account. That way if your HD drives and you haven't had a chance to back up your purchased music you can either download it again from your storage space, or from iTunes again without being charged.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-05-01, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHogan
I know you can do it manually but I'd like to see a back-up or sync service offered for .Mac users where every song you buy is either cataloged or stored in your account. That way if your HD drives and you haven't had a chance to back up your purchased music you can either download it again from your storage space, or from iTunes again without being charged.
Post of the week.
webavatar

2005-05-01, 14:15

All of these threads deal with minor updates or subscription services or something at least 100 other people have thought of before.. so I ask all of you..

What about something NEW For iTunes 5

Something revolutionary that is different from every other service.. that offers something nobody else does. Forget subscriptions because Apple won't do that unless its affecting their market share.

Think about something like this:

Millions of people still use p2p right? Even some of those who use iTunes still illegally swap songs sometimes and many dont even buy anything legally.. this is still a huge problem for the music industry. Why? I think its more that people like to swap music and check out other people's favorite songs than it is that they refuse to shell out 1 dollar a song..

So what if there was iSwap? All your songs that you purchsed from iTunes are available to other users.. BUT.. its a trade-off situation.. use the DRM.. let users swap songs 1:1
Not make a copy.. literally swap.. that way you aren't losing revenue persay.. and your appealing to that wide audience of people who like to check out everyone else's music.

Or they could share songs with a protected DRM that lets the recipient get a copy (like existing p2p) but the DRM only works for a week.. then if you like it you buy it..

This could even work in conjunction with a future subscription service.. you could pay per month for the service and it would include a modest fee to swap the songs (covers Apple's bottom line with the record companies)

Even if not combined make it a seperate fee.. 2 bucks a month.. anything.. 2 or 3 cents a song.. then you have something revolutionary that will attract p2p users.. prevent piracy.. help attract more users/iPod buyers.. offer NEW features for existing customers.. and doesn't hurt Apple's bottom line.. and also makes them even more popular with record labels than they already are.

Innovate.

Share your thoughts below.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-01, 14:18

A yellow icon would be pretty innovative.
Rich

2005-05-01, 14:24

eww not yellow just keep green or a new shade of blue
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-01, 14:25

I've been using a yellow icon for over a year. Looks great
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-01, 15:59

Threads merged.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-01, 18:00

Hogan has the right idea. Apple needs to give users more piece of mind that if they accidentally lose their purchased files (or they become corrupted or whatever), that they can quickly have a means to access them without any run-around or red tape. And it would be a great way to sell more .Mac accounts for Apple.

...into the light of a dark black night.
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-05-01, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I meant your assertion that shuffle is weighted towards iTMS AAC files. Do you have any data to back that up? I'm not seeing it on my system, and the number of people who have been confused by the concept of 'random' with respect to shuffle has been large. ("OMG! It played two Justin songs back to back! That is like sooooo not random!")
I've noticed this for a while.

As I mentioned back on page 1 or 2 of this thread iTunes, my 4G iPod, and my iPod Shuffle all seem to favor iTMS and AAC files over MP3 files. I'm not sure how I would go about testing it in a more scientific way, but if someone has the way, I have the will. What bugs me about this is that Apple has repeatedly refused to explain how the shuffle is calculated. I distinctly remember in the Newsweek premature specification leak of the 4G iPod, Mr Ng refused to elaborate on the shuffle feature.

Ok, now for HOM's Official I've Been Bitching About These Since iTunes 2 Feature Request List™:

A randomizer that actually fucking works.

An iPod firmware update that
fucking respects the iTune's playlist shuffle setting. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this hasn't been a part of the iPod since it came out. For all the talk of 'integration' between iPod and iTunes, it doesn't really do much at all.

An indicator of status of the iPod charge. A little batter icon like the menu bar would do just fine.

To be able to tag a song to multiple albums and have it show up properly in both iTunes and the iPod. I must have 10 copies of Mrs. Robinson. But I have no way to tag it to each album so it's either one copy in only one place or 10 copies.

If someone has an ADC account and can log bugs, I've got $5 via PayPal to the person that logs these and can send me proof that they have been logged.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-05-03, 05:32

1: iTunes Mobile might not be iTunes 5.0 but it must be what they've been working on the past year...

2: The scientific way to find out if iTunes' shuffle function is biased, is to take a large sample and see how much the presence of features like AAC, mp3 etc in your shuffle playlist differs from the proportions in which they exist in your total library. There are mathematical methods to calculate the chance that this difference in proportion is more than mere coincidence (which I can't reproduce right now). If if the chance that it's only coincidence is less than 5%, statisticians tend to see that as a proof that the Shuffle function is biased.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-05-03, 11:04

The only thing I want as a new iTunes feature is A WAY TO SELECT SONGS NO LONGER IN MY LIBRARY. I mean really, why put the little ! icon there if I can't sort by that column? I'm probably just dumb for deleting things in the finder and not via iTunes but hey old habits die hard.

Shhhh, I can't see!
bwhaler

2005-05-11, 05:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
I've noticed this for a while.

As I mentioned back on page 1 or 2 of this thread iTunes, my 4G iPod, and my iPod Shuffle all seem to favor iTMS and AAC files over MP3 files. I'm not sure how I would go about testing it in a more scientific way, but if someone has the way, I have the will. What bugs me about this is that Apple has repeatedly refused to explain how the shuffle is calculated. I distinctly remember in the Newsweek premature specification leak of the 4G iPod, Mr Ng refused to elaborate on the shuffle feature.

Ok, now for HOM's Official I've Been Bitching About These Since iTunes 2 Feature Request List™:

A randomizer that actually fucking works.

An iPod firmware update that
fucking respects the iTune's playlist shuffle setting. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this hasn't been a part of the iPod since it came out. For all the talk of 'integration' between iPod and iTunes, it doesn't really do much at all.

An indicator of status of the iPod charge. A little batter icon like the menu bar would do just fine.

To be able to tag a song to multiple albums and have it show up properly in both iTunes and the iPod. I must have 10 copies of Mrs. Robinson. But I have no way to tag it to each album so it's either one copy in only one place or 10 copies.

If someone has an ADC account and can log bugs, I've got $5 via PayPal to the person that logs these and can send me proof that they have been logged.
I logged them for you (without the profanity.)

No need to send me the 5 bucks. We're all Apple family here...
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-05-11, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhaler
I logged them for you (without the profanity.)

No need to send me the 5 bucks. We're all Apple family here...
You're the man!

Thanks...