User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Flying Squirrel in my Apartment (only cute pics allowed!)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Flying Squirrel in my Apartment (only cute pics allowed!)
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-05, 14:46

Ok, this little guy woke me up at about 3:30 last night. After chasing it around without success for an hour, I gave up and went back to bed. At least two more times during the night it jumped (flew, glided?) onto my bed waking me up (and giving me quite a fright). At first, I thought it's a squirrel or chipmunk, but after doing some more research, I think I have determined it is a flying squirrel. He's really cute, so I definitely don't want to kill it. I'm thinking about keeping him as a pet.

not my pic, btw
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-05, 14:49

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

*ahem*

Sorry, that there's a mighty fine squirrel ya got there.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-10-05, 15:16

Watch out for the flying squirrel turds... they're deadly. And by that I mean you'll get squirrel flu.
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-10-05, 15:22

Banzai!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-10-05, 15:30

If I woke up and one of those bastards were flying at me in the dark, I'd probably freak out and snatch it and throw it into the ceiling fan.

The thought of a random rodent coming at me in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping doesn't really get my rocks off.

Cute bastards though.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-10-05, 16:38

Awwwwww cute. I want one! (I wonder what you feed them? It would be creepy if it was like small mammals.)
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-10-05, 16:42

Windswept
On Pacific time

2009-10-05, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Ok, this little guy woke me up at about 3:30 last night. After chasing it around without success for an hour, I gave up and went back to bed. At least two more times during the night it jumped (flew, glided?) onto my bed waking me up (and giving me quite a fright). At first, I thought it's a squirrel or chipmunk, but after doing some more research, I think I have determined it is a flying squirrel. He's really cute, so I definitely don't want to kill it. I'm thinking about keeping him as a pet.

not my pic, btw
Very cute little fellow. Do you leave your windows or sliding glass doors open, and that's how he got in? Or do you have an upstairs balcony near tree branches, and that's how he got in?

The thing that worries me, and I hate to mention it, is that anytime you see an animal acting in an out-of-the-ordinary way, and appearing in an out of the ordinary place, there's always a concern that it might have rabies. Sorry. But, maybe you could look in the phone book and call the Fish and Game Department for your state and ask what they think. Don't give them your name, and maybe call from a phone booth so they can't use caller-ID, because they might come and seize your little squirrel without giving you a choice in the matter.

In the meantime, I think the squirrel might actually use a cat litter box, and you might feed him a dish of nuts, like sunflower seeds (some cracked open, and some still in the shell, to see which he prefers), and be sure to have a dish of water handy -- all until you can figure out what to do about him. What a dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

*ahem*

Sorry, that there's a mighty fine squirrel ya got there.
Squeee, eh? You silly ol' country boy. You thinking that squirrel is cute, or you thinkin' he'd make a mighty fine squirrel stew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Awwwwww cute. I want one! (I wonder what you feed them? It would be creepy if it was like small mammals.)
They collect and store nuts in trees to tide themselves over the winter months, right? I don't think they're carnivores.

Oh, and speaking of squirrels, I think the way Brits pronounce "squirrel" is really cute. Heh. They say "skwi-rel", whereas we Americans say "skwurel" - one syllable, and very hillbilly-sounding in comparison.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-05, 18:10

I'm going to try to trap it with this hav-a-hart cage:

I put some peanuts in it and a trail of peanuts leading to it. He seems to be sleeping right now behind the couch.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-10-06, 05:02

Scratt countdown...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-07, 23:40

Any luck finding/catching him, ezkcdude?

Also, this thread needs more cute squirrel pictures. Saw this little guy munching on a mushroom cap a couple yards from my car last fall.

Shame the focus was a bit off.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-07, 23:58

Aren't they usually dieased? I would get rid of it asap. I just don't see it being a "pet" as much as a feral animal. This whole situation reminds me of anime, it seems like the main character always has a chipmunk or little rodent pet.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2009-10-08, 09:17

People actually sell these little guys as pets, they're usually referred to as Sugar Gliders in listings.
¡Damned!

2009-10-08, 10:28

“A squirrel is just a rat with a cuter outfit!”
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-08, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Any luck finding/catching him, ezkcdude?
He got out. I would like a pet though. I'm going to look for these little guys. Irresistably cute. This could be the next "lap animal" craze.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-10-08, 12:16

What an awesome visit to have in the middle of the night!

They are really really hard to keep as pets. Very very needy.
Probably the cutest, cuddliest squirrel you could ever find.
They like nothing more than to curl up in a pocket of your clothing.
In fact they are nothing like real squirrels at all. Because squirrels are anything but cuddly!

They sell them here and we got a baby one a few years ago.
I've never lost a pet / friend to anything other than old age before, and I sat up with this one night after night as it got weaker and weaker. Very sad.
Mugwai we called him. *sniff*

Scratt OTOH, my namesake, has been living with us for 6 years now and is the absolute embodiment of Scrat from Ice Age... in all ways. She can gnore through concrete (and has done in our condo) but lives in a wooden aviary where the doors are simply an agreement between us on boundaries.

Here she is the other morning on her way to the kitchen for her ball of cooked rice! We were up late so she was coming to get it herself.. She will do that. I never leave expensive imported snacks lying around the house any more!

http://web12.twitpic.com/img/3481573...e1dba-full.jpg

The only control we have over Scratt is one of the Ice Age Scrat stuffed toys they made. She is petrified of it.
I guess she thinks it's a really fucking big squirrel! If I get it out she knows she's in trouble!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by Brad : 2009-10-08 at 20:49. Reason: broken image :( fix plz
Windswept
On Pacific time

2009-10-10, 15:30

Awww...