AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times
Page 8 of 12 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-11, 15:28

What noise do Endermen make? I keep hearing a sort of violin stab every now and again and can't work out what it's supposed to be. I haven't seen any Endermen yet. (Although, I have been sleeping at night, not exploring. At least until I get some proper armor and weapons.)
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-11, 15:31

They make zombie noises at the moment, at least when you hit/kill them. Not sure if that'll change at some point.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-11, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
You guys can use whatever you want, but "Applenova" isn't going to be the server seed.
Sacrilege!

Time to break out the torches and pitchforks again, lads!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
They make zombie noises at the moment, at least when you hit/kill them. Not sure if that'll change at some point.
C418 asked people to stop bugging him because he did make separate Enderman sounds. Mecause people are manually installing the bet 1.8 jar, their clients aren't downloading the new sound files. I'd bet we'll get them later this week.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Sacrilege!

Time to break out the torches and pitchforks again, lads!
Seriously, though, if everyone explored the same seed, that would kill a lot of the fun/point of having a multiplayer server. Collaborative and new exploration, discoveries, and adventure... you know, that stuff.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-11, 15:41

I understand really. Just messIn' with ya!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 15:49

Yeah, it is mostly underwater. At least one block. Nice actually. I haven't explored much really. Just doing house keeping and cutting the grass, growing wheat, etc...

I just gave my oldest her code. I'll get her added to the white list once she chooses her name.

BTW, I love the background image on the game now. Very nice touch Brad.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 19:22

Ok, had to post this. As I mentioned I have given my oldest daughter a MC code and she is getting her name in mind so we can register it for her.

She came over an watched me working in the village and saw all the over grown grass. With she makes the statement, "You need to cut your grass."

My reply, "This is why I gave you a code!"

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-09-11, 20:01

So here's a fun one. Tried another SSP seed, and spawned in a tree that was overhanging a chasm.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 20:30

Skellie-Rider! This was so cool because I never get to see them normally so this time I actually caught it on video for all of you. A few comical moments in there too though.

Video in SD | HD

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-11, 20:44

I just had an idea: trainable spiders. In daylight give them enough silk, and they follow you/actively defend you until they or you die; however watch your back at night, they have a reversion rate.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-11, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
So here's a fun one. Tried another SSP seed, and spawned in a tree that was overhanging a chasm.
What's the seed (if you remember and don't mine sharing)?
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-11, 21:21

Ok. I am done with the pre-release. I was trying to play a game straight -- you know, spend first day collecting resources, first night shitting yourself/building tools and small shelter, but then I accidentally ended up generating an infinite pickaxe source that kept filling my inventory and the furnace kept crashing.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-09-11 at 22:15.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 21:33

What mode are you playing? SSP? I'm not seeing this on my SMP. In fact, SMP is playing really good. Other than chests that moved over from a 1.7 world don't lay right. They operate right, just not displayed right.

Yes, the block I'm looking at when right-clicked opens the chest. Right clicking the ground where it looks like I should doesn't.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
What mode are you playing? SSP? I'm not seeing this on my SMP. In fact, SMP is playing really good. Other than chests that moved over from a 1.7 world don't lay right. They operate right, just not displayed right.
Seen this in both SSP and SMP with old pre-beta 1.7 chests. I haven't manually dug into the data files yet, but based on some observations, I'm pretty sure that this is because the chests in beta 1.8 have new rotation position metadata. The old chests have garbage/no data there, similar to the "calico leaves" that appeared in old trees after new tree types were introduced a few major versions ago.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 22:11

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining what's likely the issue.

Man, now I can't get into my own server to show Mrs_T what 1.8 is like. Using a stock MC server is there a way I can make it connect? We get our login to the user but when it tries to connect to the server it times out and all the other stuff.

I'm using this: java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-11, 22:16

That should do it. If you copied the setup from mc.applenova.com, torch the server.properties file and let it be regenerated. If that doesn't help, stop the server, set online-mode=false in the properties file, and restart the server. That will allow players to join without requiring the server to authenticate with MC.net.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-11, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
That should do it. If you copied the setup from mc.applenova.com, torch the server.properties file and let it be regenerated. If that doesn't help, stop the server, set online-mode=false in the file, and restart the server. That will allow players to join without requiring the server to authenticate with MC.net.
Ok, this is actually a new clean install. I only replaced the world files to play using AN's world. I'll see about making this change.

Works perfect now. Thanks you. Had to edit the file.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-11, 22:22

Map seed: Glacier (1772835215). Coordinates: x = -162, z = 470.

Also, I just set a grass-covered plain on fire not far from there. No trees, just grass. Spreads decently fast, too.

Last edited by SpecMode : 2011-09-11 at 22:40.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-11, 23:16

One more: I found this totally awesome canyon. Underneath an ocean. Giant waterfalls from holes in the top of the canyon, with lava pools and flows scattered about.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-11, 23:44

Amazing!!
I can't wait until we can all go exploring a world together so that I can hide behind other people when things get dicey.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-12, 01:05

I made a random map in creative mode and started running around. I found an NPC village, but somehow all the houses got filled with TNT...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-12, 01:07

Have you always been able to do this, or is it new in 1.8?

This is my little village - it seems to be much smaller than others I've seen, and the well is in a lake. That seems useful.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-12, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Have you always been able to do this, or is it new in 1.8?

I'm reasonably sure that we've been able to put torches on spawners for a while now (or at least as of 1.7.3). Pretty sure I had done that to a few in my 1.7.3 SSP world.

Meanwhile, I spent over an hour flying around in Creative mode in the world I took the screenshots above in, and I have yet to find a single village. Plenty of mineshafts branching off from the canyons I found, but no villages.

Also, if you hadn't already figured it out, you can fly in Creative by double-jumping. It even works in mid-air if you're falling, too. Hold space (or whatever you've got jump set to) to go up, shift (crouch) to go down. When you hit the ground, you're back to walking. And, you can blow right through the 128-block "ceiling" to get some awesome landscape views, though you still can't actually place blocks up there.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-12, 02:29

I've been putting torches on spawners for a good while. It's my preferred way of lighting them up.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-09-12, 06:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
What's the seed (if you remember and don't mine sharing)?
I believe that one was Mastadon Paradise (didn't write down the map seed #).

Quote:
Map seed: Glacier (1772835215). Coordinates: x = -162, z = 470.

Also, I just set a grass-covered plain on fire not far from there. No trees, just grass. Spreads decently fast, too.
I've been using that one as a new SSP to actually build on. I've been working on an area at x = -258, z = 738

Quote:
One more: I found this totally awesome canyon. Underneath an ocean. Giant waterfalls from holes in the top of the canyon, with lava pools and flows scattered about.
Those are fun to find and are about the only interesting thing in the ocean worlds. I had one that dropped down to bedrock and another small one that dropped me on top of a zombie spawner.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-12, 06:59

Fence gates! Awesome. My world is ready now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-12, 18:08

Jeb has been busy today! This is the list of items he was working on today (and presumably got most fixed):

Quote:
* SSP chunk memory leak
* Mineshaft density (half now)
* Increased stronghold count to 3 per map instead of one
* Furnace tile entity crash
* Crafting bench ghost items
* Vines (and leaves) crash in nether
* Use item animation in SMP (blocking and eating)
* Blocking in SMP
* Sprinting with right-click or sneaking
* Added some blocks to creative mode
* Fixed dropping items
* Nothing can be eaten in creative mode
* Enderman client-side problems
* Chicken and cow drop burned food
* Squids drop exp
* 1.7 worlds should get structures
* Farmlands rejecting melon and pumpkin seeds
* Bonemeal on melons and pumpkins
* Bonemeal on mushroom only works on dirt or grass
* Added item drops for cracked and mossy smooth stone brick
* Adjusted fog strength at low positions
http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/113289341761093632

Also relevant:

Quote:
I said this earlier, but tomorrow I will *at least* upload a new pre-release
http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/113343463705165825

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-12, 21:23

I am seeing some strangeness with the terrain generation: perfectly rectangular volcanic plugs (or the minecraft equivalent), also.... i would prefer a mix of this terrain with its breathtaking mountains and the rolling terrain of the previous incarnation. Not every mountain has to be a holy shit phenomenon.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-12, 21:44

So I started a new world with the seed RowdyScot. Found this after a scary first night at sea.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards