2.7GHz Quad- Core Intel i7
16GB RAM
NVIDA FeForce GT 650M 1GB
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB
500GB SSD
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-07, 13:58

Won't be the temp sensor I was thinking of (hard drives on iMacs have them). Could definitely be dusty (like the heat sinks are full of dust). Take off the back panel and blow it out good. Blowing canned air into the vents will not cut it. The back panel is held on by I think ten or so pentalobes (bummer without the driver, 1.2mmx25).

If the heat sink is full of dust it cannot cool down, and blowing from the back will not dislodge that stuff. The fans could also be too dusty, there could be dust in the air ducts, etc., and it could be collected all over the board (especially if you have indoor pets). A low-pressure air compressor is best for this. Canned air is a bad plan for this because of the condensation it can cause.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-07, 14:17

I've mentioned it a couple times, but the one part of the whole thing that I dont understand is the slow down is better 2-4pm every day and only during that period. Can't vouch for after that because this is my work computer so I'm gone after that.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-07, 14:52

I suppose it could be a strange network thing? Have a look at Activity Monitor and check all the stats, including network activity.

Then, check for gremlins.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-07, 15:06

Is it possible that the issue could be coming from the Thunderbolt port? I have 2 monitors hooked up, 1 via Thunderbolt, and 1 via HDMI. I unplugged the Thunderbolt port and immediately the Kernel_Task from from a couple hundred percent down to under 10%. The CPU Temp has dropped from 205-210˚ down to around 190-195˚right now and the fans have dropped to around 75% usage.

@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-07, 15:36

External display resolutions?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-07, 16:07

They're only 1080p, nothing crazy. Just using for work with Pages, Numbers, Quickbooks, ect.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-08, 11:44

Yeah it's definitely something with that Thunderbolt port with a monitor connected via an HDMI to Mini Display Port cable. When I unplug it, the CPU 4 cores temp drop from 210˚-ish down to 180-185˚ area and the fans go from 5900-6000 RPMs to around 3500-4000 RPMs.

@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-08, 11:50

Replace the cable? Or use the HDMI port on the computer?

Or maybe I am misinterpreting your computer description. You said "MBPr" where I am interpreting the "r" to be "Retina"? The Retina model would have HDMI.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-08, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Replace the cable? Or use the HDMI port on the computer?

Or maybe I am misinterpreting your computer description. You said "MBPr" where I am interpreting the "r" to be "Retina"? The Retina model would have HDMI.
Correct. I have 2 monitors. One is already hooked up to the HDMI port. I can try and replace the cable. Correct, it is the Retina model.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-08, 12:36

And you've tried the other Thunderbolt port?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-08, 12:41

Yeah they both cause spikes. I ordered a new cable so I'll try that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-07-10, 18:56

LOL I just bought a MBP13" because *that same exact model* (2012 MBPr) did the *exact same thing*. Same setup. One HDMI -> monitor, one TB2 -> HDMI -> monitor. didn't matter which TB port I used, either.

Unless I shut the laptop lid and turned off the on-board display.

It could handle two external displays just fine, but if those *and* the Retina display were on, it simply could not handle the load.

Try running it with a BT keyboard/mouse, closed up. That did the trick for me.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-11, 08:15

Funny enough, I am using it closed up with a BT Keyboard and Trackpad, lol. I switched the cable yesterday and it seemed to handle better but it was too small of a sample size. Funny thing is, I've been using this same setup for probably close to two years and it just started out of the blue a month ago.

@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-12, 01:25

Well, things do fail "out of the blue".
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-07-12, 14:22

I know I had CPU spikes and sleep issues when the Thunderblot ports on my 2011 iMac started to go, so that sounds about right.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-17, 08:09

So after using this new cable for a week, I haven't the dramatic slowdowns like I have previously, but the temp and fan speeds are still up, though not as much. There are more periods of slower speeds but seems like things are working better. It's not great like it was, but I can live with this. My work station is actually usable where as before the simplest task would take forever. *Knock on wood* we'll see if it maintains this way.

@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-17, 10:45

Interesting.

Well, glad that helped a little bit.