Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Great Christmas Freeze of 2022

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Great Christmas Freeze of 2022
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-12-24, 07:43

It's 8° Fahrenheit here in my part of the country right now. With wind chill it's -6°; pretty much life or death for anyone or anything without shelter (edit: at least in this region).

We have a stray cat that has bedded down in a weatherized dog shelter, and I have a camera inside that lets me check on her (she's fine).

Last edited by drewprops : 2022-12-24 at 10:21.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-12-24, 12:45

It's 15 degrees Fahrenheit back home in CT with a feels like of 2 degrees...

....but we're currently in London where it is a balmy 50 degrees so it's nice to avoid all of that.

Happy holidays everyone. Glad to see that this place still exists, even on a limited basis.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-12-24, 14:09

It was -33° with windchill here yesterday in Cleveland.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-12-24, 14:18

We were out of power for 12 hours yesterday, during which the average temperatures were in the low 20sF (-7 to -4C) with a wind chill around 7-10F (-14 to -12C). With high winds, a tree fell somewhere and destroyed some power infrastructure that took longer than usual to repair. We're used to the occasional downed tree limb taking out a line during a heavy storm, but the utility company usually gets those repaired in about an hour.

We're lucky to have a fireplace in our house. After the first hour, when we realized this could be a while, I moved our couch up close to face the fireplace, and we sat there with blankets for most of the day. Unfortunately, I don't keep much firewood because we very rarely actually use it (it's been at least a few years — since before covid — since I fired it up), and I had to run to the grocery store to buy some obscenely priced wood for burning. We went through at least $30 of firewood over those 12 hours, and that was with me conservatively turning over embers and adding logs slowly. With the fire going all day, immediately next to the fireplace was a cozy 70F (21C), but other parts of the house had dropped to 50F (10C) by the time power was restored. It would have been a rough night for us if the outage lasted much longer.

We didn't get nearly as cold as more northern states, but our community is also generally very ill-prepared for extreme cold. We're lucky to have a single snow event each winter here in central NC.

Boy… those winds were strong. When I went to the store, I also stopped to refuel my car, and standing outside, the best way I can describe it is that it felt like a cold hurricane. It was cloudy and drizzling with a steady strong wind and occasionally sustained strong gusts. In the few minutes I stood outside pumping gas, I had to cup my hand over my ear not just because it was icy cold (which it was) but because the pressure from the wind gusts was actually hurting, messing with whatever that middle-inner ear system is called.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-12-24, 15:04

Parts of Colorado got down to -60F with the wind chill. For the first time ever I'm glad to be in Arizona.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-12-24, 15:32

We had a real cold snap this past week, with 14" inches of snow. Temps stay around -9°C/12°F most of the time. Warmed up yesterday and we got freezing rain all day and into the night. Now temperatures are above freezing (7°C/30s°F) and just rain. Lots of rain pooling on the snow, due the ice storm.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-25, 17:11

It got down to 5DegF might before last. Overnight last night it was milder in the teens. Duke has threatened blackouts but we haven't lost power yet. The heat pump thermostat has reported there might be a problem though because aux heat has run for more than 180 minutes.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-12-25, 17:28

A cousin who lives south of me had his evaporator drain pipe freeze up into a giant icicle that only melted today.

So many systems failed this weekend!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-25, 18:57

Thankfully I've had no damage that I know of yet from the deep freeze. I mean, other than my power consumption is higher than normal.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-12-25, 19:00

No power outages in my neck of the woods, but it's been cold. Home heating bills are going to be high.
Lots of accidents on the highways.

Just thought I'd stop in today and wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and Happy Hanukkah to those celebrating as well.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-12-26, 04:36

Yes, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all celebrating too!

Keep safe and warm/cool - wherever you may be!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-12-26, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
...Keep safe and warm/cool...
Oh that's right, y'all are in the warm times now!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-26, 18:05

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah! I forgot to mention that yesterday.