COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 8 of 42 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-05, 16:18

Today I went to leave to go buy something from a store that I needed to get. My van wouldn't start. The battery had died. Guess I have been a hermit for a good little bit. I was able to jumpstart it, but now I need to add "take cars" out for a roll around the block" to my list of things to do while not going anywhere.

I'm not going crazy in this isolation. My family keeps me hopping and I have quite the project going on right now that is encompassing my whole family. Still, it seems odd that I'm supposed to wear and mask when going into the store. It isn't the end of the world but it sure seems like people think it is.

Then on the flip side you have idiots throwing COVID-19 parties to infect each other. Or go on spring break and damn the consequences. I don't care if you want to infect yourself, but quit spreading it to those who might be facing complications like death. Sure it might not have been that lady the infected him, but someone sure did.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-04-05, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
So you think the Chinese government lifted the lockdown on Wuhan Province because they’ve given up on trying to contain the virus? Doesn’t seem like a logical reaction at this point.
The lockdown hasn't been completely lifted, but if you envision that they understated the deaths by 10-fold, then the number infected could have been closer to 1-1.5 million if not more. Perhaps they think this is sufficient buffer in the event of furthering outbreaks (which are all but guaranteed).

I am not sure the Chinese government is going for logic at the moment. Given that the evidence suggests a more pronounced and deadlier outbreak there, there's no saving face by admitting things are worse than they've been reported. So go with what you've been doing and accept the consequence of more deaths... The world isn't really paying attention anymore...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-05, 17:39

And, it gets more fun.
¡Damned!

2020-04-05, 20:48

I pulled out of the closet and dusted off my sewing machine today - made myself a mask following these directions. Pretty pleased with myself honestly. Anna says the fabric I used makes me look creepy as fuck, so good to go I guess.

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-04-05, 20:51

That could be a bad sign. In my mind more troublesome question is if COVID-19 could be transmitted from one person (or animal given the above) to another via, say mosquitoes bites? If it could be, summer could be bad news.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-05, 22:30

Dude, you've got to show pictures of the mask. Fine if you don't want to show it on your face but I'd love to see what it looks like.

To help brighten any day...though this could be real!

I mean, you could have made one like this:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-05, 23:07

709 probably used his jock strap.

I'm gonna make mine out of an auxiliary pair of underwear!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-06, 10:53

This seem like a pretty cool lady. I know nothing of her politics or how she actually is in real life but this seems like a great thing to have done for moral.
Coronavirus: Easter bunny can come during lockdown, says NZ PM

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-07, 20:24

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-07, 20:42

“Worthless...$10 from a Walmart down the street. But I take it, bury it in the linen closet for 100 days and it becomes priceless. Men will kill for it.”
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-07, 23:06

Hey, I have a wood shop. And in my wood shop are—you guessed it—cheap dust masks! Who knew they would be worth more than the solid wood tables I make in there.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2020-04-08, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Dude, you've got to show pictures of the mask.

Tried a few different fabrics - some thicker and less iron-able than others - but they all seem to work pretty well and are at least breathable. Upper-left is my initial attempt, and when worn it kinda gives off 'killer clown vibes', according to her. Probably doesn't help that I was putting off getting my hair cut even before all this went down, so now I'm giving Boris Johnson some serious competition

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-08, 09:03

Now’s a great time for people to buy a set of Wahl clippers/guards, take in some YouTube tutorials and learn how to cut (or at least trim) their own hair (and/or that of their family and kids).

No telling how long barber shops and salons will be shut down, so you might as well a) learn a new, super-useful skill, and b) save some $$$. You might find, after this all settles down, you prefer the control/convenience of handling this task yourself?

Been cutting my own hair since summer of 2017 and the freedom, flexibility, convenience and savings ($400+) have been wonderful. I’ve learned to do a nice fade and taper, the choppy/textured top/front. Zero previous experience, so if my dumb ass can learn how, anyone can.

The best part is the “in between” trim/maintenance you can do in 5-6 minutes, any time it’s needed. No having to schedule, wait or pay for something so quick and easy you can do yourself. Very easy to always stay tight and crisp, if you want. I do that around the back/sides/ears every 2-3 weeks and then a full-on, proper all-over cut about every 6-8 weeks. That $22 Wahl kit has more than paid for itself...after about the second use, way back in summer 2017!

Just something to consider, for those of you veering into werewolf territory as all these closures and “stay home” scenarios play out...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-08 at 09:18.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-08, 17:46

Those are cool masks. I have to admit I'm not wearing them but then again I'm also not leaving home. When I have left home it was for the dump. There I need a nose plug.

For the hard thing, I'm so glad I got my wife to learn how to cut hair as I was getting out of the Navy. Now she is the family barber and we look like we always have. Kinda nice actually not worrying about the hair thing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-08, 19:48

Exactly. I like not having that hanging over me. I've enjoyed doing so for nearly three years, but it's really been something nice to fall back on the past 5-6 weeks, once things started to get a little sideways...this has been about the one thing I've not worried about (or overthought) lately.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-04-08, 20:50

I dunno, for a while I've thought about growing my hair back out. May as well do it now when there's nobody to see the inbetween stages.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-08, 20:53

That’s always an option too. Do your thang...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-08, 20:54

... after the social distancing is over.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-09, 20:25

It's been weird being in a world Tom Petty is no longer in, and now John Prine.

This virus is just all kinds of a bastard.

Those were my two favorite American writers/performers. Two different overall approaches/career trajectories, but just so many great songs from both. I've never heard anything sadder - or funnier - than some of Prine's lyrics. Been aware/a fan of him since ninth grade or so (1984ish), when someone loaned me a couple of albums (his 1971 debut and Sweet Revenge from 1973 or so), knowing I liked/listened to stuff most of my peers didn't (and was into songwriter types vs. "rock stars").

"Here, you'll appreciate this...".

I did indeed.

Got to see him perform live twice, so I'm lucky.

Quote:
I know a guy that's got a lot to lose.
He's a pretty nice fellow but he's kind of confused.
He's got muscles in his head that ain't never been used.
Thinks he own half of this town.

Starts drinking heavy, gets a big red nose.
Beats his old lady with a rubber hose,
Then he takes her out to dinner and buys her new clothes.
That's the way that the world goes 'round.

You're up one day and the next you're down.
It's half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown.
murbot
Hoonigan

2020-04-14, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I dunno, for a while I've thought about growing my hair back out. May as well do it now when there's nobody to see the inbetween stages.
I read this as "growing my back hair out" at first... and thought for a split second, hey man me too

BTW I took the clippers to my mop last night, with the thought that whatever, if I fuck it up, down to the wood it goes. I think I actually pulled it off. Didn't touch the top, just did the back and over the ears, and blended that sumbitch. Think I'll grab some Crown Royal tonight with my haircut savings!!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-14, 13:26

I moved the political stuff over to the "blame a politician" thread.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-21, 14:50

More interesting data.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-21, 15:30

Sure got quiet in here.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-21, 15:33

We are all enjoying the quarantine now pretending all the bad things away.

Feels like old news to me now. I'm sure I'm like most. Then again, maybe I'm just fried still from my move.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-21, 15:39

There was a headline somewhere that "a hurricane would be really bad mixed with COVID-19" or something like that. Thanks, for that, professor!

We have a short attention span. It's just not scary enough, so let's start mixing it up.

Instead of Sharknado, we'll have Hurricane Corona. That'll keep the masses in panic mode!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Dr. Bobsky

2020-04-21, 16:16

Well with social distancing ending in several states, we're sure to start seeing some interesting headlines again.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-04-21, 20:07

Our government is talking about maybe mid-May for reducing some of the restrictions. New cases have already started to drop shapely, but we will continue to ban international travel until the end of the year.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-04-21, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Our government is talking about maybe mid-May for reducing some of the restrictions. New cases have already started to drop shapely, but we will continue to ban international travel until the end of the year.
Domestic travel is a bigger problem and threat and will never be limited.

I fully expect a “2nd wave” to be much worse because we let our guard down and got complacent.
¡Damned!

2020-04-22, 04:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Sure got quiet in here.
Hiding from the swarms of people outside that are freaking out about their natural hair-color growing in.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-22, 04:59

Yeah. Celebrities being called “brave” by a fawning, dipshit “press” because they’re apparently exhibiting Normandy Invasion-levels of grit by appearing on social media with flecks of gray/silver in their hair.

Places like Yahoo will run stories like this 10 times a day.

I don’t really need to know how long it’s been since Reese Witherspoon has had her wang scabbard waxed. Nor do I think she is all that “courageous” for sharing it.

But I’m weird like that.