User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

New 23” iMac coming in second half of 2020?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New 23” iMac coming in second half of 2020?
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-05-23, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Will not matter, new Mac's have not had built in card readers for a while now.

Last edited by PB PM : 2020-05-23 at 20:50.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-05-23, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Will not matter, new Mac's have had built in card readers for a while now.
I know they have. That's why I was hoping we get this new crazy fast format instead of being stuck with the old one when we see the new machine at WWDC.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-05-23, 20:49

Might get them might not, many newer Macs have dropped the card reader.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-05-23, 20:51

The Apple Store says the current iMacs have SDXC card slots.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-24, 05:05

The Mac mini no longer does. That’s kind of a shame.

Anyway, no, this year’s iMac (if it comes) almost certainly have the new spec. For one, it’s barely out. And two, it relies on PCIe 4, which Intel doesn’t offer yet.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-05-24, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The Mac mini no longer does. That’s kind of a shame.

Anyway, no, this year’s iMac (if it comes) almost certainly won't have the new spec. For one, it’s barely out. And two, it relies on PCIe 4, which Intel doesn’t offer yet.
Fixed the typo. Seems to be a recurring problem in this particular thread.

I hadn't realized that the Mini dropped the SD card reader. In truth, it's probably better to have Apple drop it in the iMac, so it can be added back with an adapter. You have to add third party front ports to the iMac anyway to be really productive.

I do want to see SD card support back in the 16" Macbook Pro, but maybe Apple held off because this new standard wasn't ready to go.

I was wondering about PCIe 4 when I read the article, but couldn't find out what version was being used in the MacBook Pro.
Another concern is whether if using a USB adapter, the SD Card reader/USB4 can be secured by the T2 chip.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-25, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Fixed the typo. Seems to be a recurring problem in this particular thread.
Oops. That’s what happens when I keep editing a sentence.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-09, 12:05

Rumors are heating up on this front as well. Can't wait. I finally have the cash for a new iMac, Apple is rumored to be adding interest-free Apple Card financing on Macs, and I am patiently awaiting a new industrial design. Hoping this is my year, and hoping there is something smaller than the 27".

Rooting for this!

Let's go Apple. You can do it!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-15, 16:45

The leaks keep leaking!
chucker

2020-06-16, 03:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The leaks keep leaking!
Couldn't that just be a generic "external display" icon?
¡Damned!

2020-06-16, 08:12

I sure hope so because that is one fat-ass bezel.
chucker

2020-06-16, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I sure hope so because that is one fat-ass bezel.
Yeah. Doesn't seem attractive as a "the all-new iMac" icon. But I could be wrong.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-16, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Couldn't that just be a generic "external display" icon?
Could be, but it's got the same foot as the iMac image next to it, and Apple doesn't use their own design language when representing generic items.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-06-16, 15:02

Someone pointed out that that is also a symbol used to show a connected PC.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-23, 16:32

I'm guessing that the iMac will get an "update" in July. It will also be the last Intel Mac.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-06-23, 16:57

Quote:
I'm guessing that the iMac will get an "update" in July. It will also be the last Intel Mac.
Yes. The question is: Does it get the new form factor, or does that wait for the Ax model?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-23, 17:41

I tend to think they will wait for the new form factor. Just seems like a clean break. Who knows what they will do though. The mini came out in G4 and then switched to Intel.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-23, 17:46

Any Intel stuff is going to remain in the current design. The transition to ASx (I'm calling it that now: Apple Silicon x) will garner a lot of media attention and will require a big event (October). Doing an all-new form-factor Intel machine would also require a big event, but we just passed that. And I don't think Apple is going to release "lot's of Intel-based products". I think they are done with that*. The iMac gets a minor bump, and then they begin the switch over to ASx.

*It's possible that the 16" MB Pro could rev as well.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-06-24, 00:35

One thing about this move to Ax chips is that I think we'll be largely flying blind on product updates from here on.

The rumour mill bakes in that we see a new iPhone chip annually in the fall, so production begins in the spring.
But specifics about the chips themselves are usually hard to come by.

We're going to miss Intel's public product releases.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-24, 10:18

I'm not going to miss them. Hasn't been anything to see there since 2005.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-06-24, 10:26

Quote:
The transition to ASx (I'm calling it that now: Apple Silicon x) will garner a lot of media attention and will require a big event (October).[/size]
Will it though? In tech media, sure, but I'm not sure why mainstream publications should care. The average consumer won't notice a difference between Intel and Apple chips.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-24, 10:51

Apple likes to show off new designs. And it will make a difference. People will ask what processor it has. They do it all the time.

Every day.

Day after day after day after day …

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-27, 11:44

More iMac rumors. Updated systems in August with same industrial design.

That will not surprise me. The Apple Silicon iMac will be the one that gets the fancy, new shiny.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-07-27, 23:08

Quote:
More iMac rumors. Updated systems in August with same industrial design.

That will not surprise me. The Apple Silicon iMac will be the one that gets the fancy, new shiny.
My iMac started exhibiting some graphics issues yesterday in Safari, and I was like "No! I need six more months!"
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-08-04, 00:55

We're in an exceptional year, so things like 'Back to School season' are subject to change.

But today would normally launch the traditional B2S season, and Apple often has an early August event.

If things are on schedule, I'd expect the Intel iMac update (spec bump, no big design changes) to happen this week.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-08-04, 09:57

They should extend it to high school students this year, since the majority will be distance learning to start. Even living where the transmission rate is the lowest in the US, I’m not chancing it with my kid.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-04, 10:25

Looks like they did get a bump today. Good call.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-04, 11:08

Yep. the boss got an email from Apple this morning. As suspected, it's the same case design with 10th-gen Intel stuff. No surprises, other than the fancy screen coating.

SSD's are now standard, and the base model has no upgrade path beyond 256GB.

dglow

2020-08-16, 16:28

Greetings everyone. Please indulge me in some display speculation regarding this rumored 23" iMac.

I propose that, as part of the transition to Apple Silicon-based Macs, Apple will seek to unify its display makeup between macOS and iPadOS.

Today Apple's Retina screens exist in several versions: iPhones traditionally occupy 326 pixels-per-inch at 2x resolution, iPads are 264 ppi, and retina Macs operate between 218 ppi and 226 ppi. Additionally, 'Super Retina' (OLED) iPhones run at a 3x resolution of 458 ppi.

This arrangement presents some issues when running iPad apps on the Mac. Specifically, all iPad apps adapted to run via Apple's Mac Catalyst technology encounter an automatic downscaling to 77% of their native iPad size. If you've ever looked at the News app on a non-retina display and thought the text looked small and blurry, this 77% scaling is the reason why.

Interestingly, a few things change with Big Sur:

1. This automatic scaling of Catalyst apps is now optional. Developers can choose to run at the full 'native' iPad scale factor.
2. The UI design in Big Sur is notably more spacious. Many running the betas have noted the expanded layout of Finder windows, table views, and the menu bar.
3. And perhaps most significantly we know that Big Sur, running on Apple Silicon Macs, will be able to download and run iOS apps natively, without alteration or adaptation.

It is for these reasons that I believe Apple will adopt a native screen density comparable to the iPad with its Apple Silicon Macs. By doing so, iPad apps will display properly and with no scaling, and Apple will be able to advertise even greater screen resolutions for its brand new line of Macs.

In a way Apple have been flirting with this already. Take the first retina Mac, the 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Its display is 2880x1800, or 1440x900 at 2x resolution. When it first shipped in 2012 by default this Mac ran in its 1440x900 mode, even though it is capable of simulating two higher resolutions: 1680x1050 and 1920x1200, both at 2x.

However, in the latter years of its run, the 15" rMBP shipped with its 1680x1050 resolution active by default. This resolution requires the GPU to downsample the virtual resolution to the screen's native pixels. Some Apple pundits have complained about this and called for Apple to ship a display that was a true 'native' 2x of its shipping default resolution. In the case of the 15" MacBook Pro, that native resolution would have been 3360x2100. Of course, Apple chose not to do this.

Even the newer 16" MacBook Pro, like the 15" before it, runs in a virtual resolution out of the box. Its native resolution is 3072x1920, or 226 ppi. However, the 16" ships running at 3584x2240, which is 264 ppi. And if you've read this far, you'll note that 264 ppi happens to be the exact same density as an iPad.

Back to the main topic: what might this 23" iMac look like? The rumors call for vastly reduced bezels and an appearance which resembles the current iPad Pro. If you measure today's iMacs, their faces – including the metal chins – measure around 1.6:1, the golden ratio. Migrating to an iPad Pro-like appearance would mean removing the chin, which (barring other changes) would result in a 16:10 display aspect ratio, the long-preferred screen ratio for Apple's laptops.

So in conclusion: a 23" diagonal screen, running at 264 ppi, in a 16:10 aspect ratio... adds up to a 5120x3200 native resolution. This would be more pixels than the 5K iMac squeezed into a 23" form factor!

I for one welcome our new Apple Silicon overlords.
chucker

2020-08-16, 16:47

I sure hope Apple increases resolution. Shipping with a scaled resolution by default is… weird.