Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

PCI Extreme & DVD Player

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCI Extreme & DVD Player
Siderits

2005-07-26, 07:11

Hi All,

I'm a long-time PC user who finally saw the light and switched to a Mac (after some spousal urging). I have a B&W G3 that I pulled out of "retirement" and have spend the last 2 months upgrading it to a more usable form. It has a Sonnet ZIF G4 700 processor, 512 MB RAM, a 12 GB hard drive with OS 9 and backups and a 60 GB HD with OS X Tiger 10.4.2. The drives are connected to a Sonnet Tempo ATA card. A bootable DVR106 from Pioneer has also been added.

For video, I have a flashed Radeon 7000 32 MB card that has worked very nicely. However, without Quartz Extreme enabled, the Dashboard and Expose effects were not fluid and the Quartz screensavers in Tiger were disabled. I downloaded and installed the PCI Extreme hack v 3.1 and am very pleased with the improvements to the fluidity. Problem is, now my DVD player is very choppy.

Before applying PCI Extreme, I could watch the DVD at about 2/3 to 3/4 of full screen, but true full screen was choppy. Now, even a very small window for the DVD player is too choppy to watch. I know that use of PCI Extreme is associated with DVD player issues. So here's the question: other than turning off PCI Extreme, is there any way to improve the DVD player function? Would upgrading to a 64MB Radeaon 7000 do the trick? Is there some other equipment upgrade that would offset the problem?

Thanks in advance for your input!