User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.
Page 26 of 28 First Previous 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2019-07-29, 13:46

That thing is wicked fast. It's tempting to incorporate it somehow into the rail system... or maybe it's a system on its own? Very cool (pun intended ). Oooo - I wonder if water bubblers would work raising a boat up? Then down is just a gravity launch.

btw, that waterway tunnel is meant to connect the western & eastern oceans. It's a bit bigger than Brad's container ship's draft, so there's the possibility of another ship or two making their way to the drawbridge. Eventually. It was kind of messy towards the bridge-end so I worked on it a bit to pretty it up. Still a work in progress.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-29, 15:24

Wowee! Fast indeed. I haven’t measured anything yet, but that certainly feels faster than flying with firework rockets at full speed.

That of course leads me to believe it is probably considered to be a bug by Mojang to be squashed in a future update. (RIP classic Minecraft boat elevators. )

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-07-30, 08:57

I think they've already nerfed it once, as originally you could go faster than the chunks could load and you literally fell off the end of the world.

I'm not even sure the test track gets you up to maximum possible velocity. I think I was still accelerating all the way to the end.

I might look at extending the track South until I hit the circular lawn at the museum, although it will require a shallow tunnel.

Last edited by Bryson : 2019-07-30 at 09:07.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-30, 09:04

That would be awesome!
¡Damned!

2019-07-30, 09:22

I did test the water bubbler theory yesterday, and it works kind of. Problem is as soon as you get into the bubble chute you get launched upwards as such velocity that you lose your boat behind you, so you have to wait at the top - swimming - until the boat floats up underneath you. Then you can jump back in and carry on. It's not perfect but it would work for the occasional level change.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2019-08-04, 14:20

I was computer-less from Wed until last night and when I logged in today I was sooooo bummed that you leveled an entire city block, Brad. It took me way longer than I'll admit to figure out what happened. I was even pulling up old screenshots trying to figure out what was missing, because nothing seemed to be!

Anyways. There's a lot more green around the channel area, and the water is bluer, which is very nice. If we're still able to do that (apparently we are!) I'd like to request the amusement park turned into mooshroom fields. Just a big, crisp rectangle from the NW corner to SE corner fence. There's another area that I might want to change for a project way down the road, but we can talk about that later.

If you post the region heat-map thingy I'll do the coloring-in, or if you want coords I'll grab them.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-04, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I was computer-less from Wed until last night and when I logged in today I was sooooo bummed that you leveled an entire city block, Brad. It took me way longer than I'll admit to figure out what happened. I was even pulling up old screenshots trying to figure out what was missing, because nothing seemed to be!
I love it.

Quote:
If we're still able to do that (apparently we are!) I'd like to request the amusement park turned into mooshroom fields. Just a big, crisp rectangle from the NW corner to SE corner fence.
I'll just knock out the amusement park biome on my own. That kind of adjustment is easy enough because I keep a layered Photoshop file to combine the biome images with saved overhead world reference images. I actually did the same over the weekend to a few other spots (not just the church graveyard) that had been an occasional nuisance to kept sufficiently well-lit as "creative" project areas.

In that same vicinity, I was also thinking that when the KotM materializes, I would make her silhouette mooshroom as well so she doesn't have to be splattered with torches.

This offer stands for anyone else as well! If you have some region that you'd like to have biome-swapped, the tool I built several months ago does indeed still work, and if the request is reasonable, I'll be happy to oblige. The tool I built can either spit out a PNG image of an existing region or read a PNG and use a built-in color map to overwrite any existing biomes in the region.

For example, this easily identifiable region that has received a handful of strategic edits…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2019-08-04, 18:31

Can I possibly get you to move an object? I've already completed the prep work, and was just about to do the teardown/reconstruction, but if you have the power to move things it'd be so much easier.

It's just a Z move, basically.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-04, 19:49

Sure thing! MC has a hard limit that the cubic volume must be < 32k blocks for any clone/move operations. Anything larger needs to be carved into pieces to move.

Where is it? If we don't bump into each other online, I'll need:

- smallest X,Y,Z coordinate corner to copy
- largest X,Y,Z coordinate corner to copy
- smallest destination X,Y,Z coordinate to move (most northern, western, lowest block)

Disregard. We meet online and did it live.

¡Damned!

2019-08-04, 21:15

So much better.

For those interested, we moved the bobsky totem to beneath the Skyranch. I had already carved out the area below and was about to demolish and rebuild the statue, but BradMajik made it so much easier. Thanks for your patience and mathness!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-08-05 at 09:27.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-06, 18:48

Because I am plagued with a Minecraft scatterbrain of late and can't focus on one project for any stretch of time…

Other than very gradually filling that swamp for Bradtropolis manifest destiny, I have a moderately large idea for a different terraforming project I should ask here about. This mountainous region here with the wonderful Tranquility color wheel on top:

It's a lovely natural landscape formation in the middle of so much flatness! I certainly wouldn't want to strip it away, but I might like to enhance it's natural bigness and add something slightly artificial to the western side of it. Looking at the way the river cuts through it, if one were "just" to grow up some of the mountainous sides, one could make an elevated water reservoir in the valley and build a bridge+dam at the end with a creative "hydroelectric power" station underground.

Something akin to this very rough illustration:

Thoughts?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-06, 18:54

And as I'm rocketing around to survey the area, I see that the mountainous region that extends to the north side of the canal could suit this purpose as well, though I think that side would need a bit more terraforming to "sculpt up" the mountainside.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-08-06, 21:04

That sounds good to me (as the builder of the Serenity Colour Wheel)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-06, 22:57

Sounds good to me, too, as a builder of things far, far away!

I've been looking for a place to build a dam, so I am totally cool with it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-08, 23:22

Way too many stone and dirt blocks later, I think I have a decent barrier built up around the future reservoir. I might make a few more adjustments before filling it with water, but the shape is pretty much there. I marked along the inside where the water level will be.

Anyone want to take a final walk around it before the flood comes? This is also your chance to point out any egregious flaws in the landscape that I overlooked while placing all these blocks.

I'll probably fill it some time over the weekend. I want to carve out some underground/underwater passageways for the dam first while it's still dry.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-09, 11:32

In order to make this project as realistic as possible, are you going to go ahead and flood out the oomp-loompa that's down in there, along with his llamas? Or are you going to relocate him to the city, where he will be very much more happier?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2019-08-12, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
In that same vicinity, I was also thinking that when the KotM materializes, I would make her silhouette mooshroom as well so she doesn't have to be splattered with torches.
I could go for that with Mothra as well. She's survived quite a bit of lightning but I'm getting to the point where I just want to cover her in carpet instead of forever fixing the holes in her wings. That means no more torches, and once a piece of carpet gets zapped off it invites baddies to appear.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-12, 23:45

Quote:
I could go for that with Mothra as well. She's survived quite a bit of lightning but I'm getting to the point where I just want to cover her in carpet instead of forever fixing the holes in her wings. That means no more torches, and once a piece of carpet gets zapped off it invites baddies to appear.
Oof. That's a good point. I'll put Mothra on the mooshroom list for fixin' tomorrow.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-13, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Oof. That's a good point. I'll put Mothra on the mooshroom list for fixin' tomorrow.
The chess board would be nice, too. I don't want to have to light the thing with torches, and glowstone does not fit the interior decor.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-14, 21:58

Mothra and the chess board have been mooshroomified.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-15, 00:15

woot!
¡Damned!

2019-08-15, 06:55

Thanks Brad!
¡Damned!

2019-08-17, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm not even sure the test track gets you up to maximum possible velocity. I think I was still accelerating all the way to the end.

I might look at extending the track South until I hit the circular lawn at the museum, although it will require a shallow tunnel.
I added a bubbler-elevator at the channel end, and continued the track northward. If you enter the track at the circular lawn and go full speed into the bubbler you might not lose your boat on the way up. Even if you do lose it, it's easy enough to hop back in continue on.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-18, 14:40

D'oh… and I was just about to ask about moving the hyperloop test track slightly west and down to run under that nearby road so it wouldn't butt-up against the dam. I haven't looked at the latest changes, but would moving be a lot more trouble now?

I thought I mentioned that here, but I can't find any trace, and I guess I may have only mentioned it in-game somewhere.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-18, 14:50

Well, if we're okay with scooting the track over by a few blocks to run under that road, it should be relatively straightforward to use commands to move everything else over a bit too.

How would we all feel about that? I was also thinking about replacing the road stones with grey-stained glass over where the track would run so you could see out, and I was also considering where to put an entrance since it would no longer be directly surface accessible. A mini subway stop near where the current chests and signs are probably makes sense.

¡Damned!

2019-08-18, 16:52

Fine by me! I was just piggy-backing on Bryson's test.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-08-18, 16:53

The Hyperloop was only ever really a technology demo. If it’s a problem where it is, we can just demolish and rebuild somewhere more useful.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-18, 20:46

I have lots and lots of dynamite.
¡Damned!

2019-08-26, 18:20

Amateur.

Two words: Nether Crystals. They are way more powerful, and unlike TNT they will all explode at the same time.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-26, 21:21

oooooooooooooooo … where can I get these crystals?

edit: Oh, dear. I've found the recipe. So, if I lay a trail of these things all the way from 13topia to, say, someplace not mentioned, and I whack the one nearest me, then … hmmm …

edit 2: Remember fellas, we are a non-griefing server. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!