Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Found a great deal, share it here!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Found a great deal, share it here!
Page 9 of 17 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Last Thread Tools
Delkan Cott

2010-10-10, 14:34

Off Slickdeals. Bejeweled 2 free today for both Mac and PC.

http://www.popcap.com/games/bejewele...pc_10_10_10_EN
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-10-10, 14:59

Osmos HD and bit.trip HD are both $.99 today. Two great games and totally no brainers for $.99.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-10, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkan Cott View Post
Off Slickdeals. Bejeweled 2 free today for both Mac and PC.

http://www.popcap.com/games/bejewele...pc_10_10_10_EN
Son of a bitch. Looks like Popcap games choke on hackintoshes because it doesn't find the right network adapters or something. I get "please contact customer service (nohwid)" as an error message. A quick search doesn't lead me to any real solutions. Bummer.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-14, 15:25

Target is launching their new Target Card rewards program. When you pay using a Target Card, you get a 5% discount on pretty much anything in the store. Not 5% cash back — a 5% discount, right then and there. This is a huge upgrade from their old rewards program, where you earned one day of 10% off shopping after spending $1,000. (Well, assuming you spend less than $500 each trip.)

"But Robo," you might say, "this is just a campaign to get everybody to sign up for their super-high-interest credit cards and you're falling for it hook, line, and sinker!" And it's true that they probably want people to sign up for their super-high-interest credit cards. But.

You don't need a Target credit card to take advantage of the rewards program. Target doesn't really promote it, but they also offer a Target debit card. The Target debit card is free, and it works just like a regular debit card at Target stores, except that it now gives you 5% off at checkout. You can even get use it to get cash at the till (up to $40).

If you shop at Target a lot, and don't mind giving Target your checking account information, this is actually a really compelling deal. They're basically saving money on card transactions and passing the savings on to you — but whereas stores like IKEA give you 1% cash back for using a debit card, Target gives you a 5% discount. You just have to use their debit card. I looked through the short list of exclusions and it's really only the obvious ones (no $100 gift cards for $95 for you). IIRC Target Pharmacy purchases are the only "real" purchases that don't get the discount, because Target has a different rewards program for their pharmacy.

I don't want to sound like a shill or anything, and no, I don't work at Target. Just thought I'd share. ("Attention Target shoppers," ha ha.)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-10-14, 17:32

Do we look like the target market or something?!?

(OK, probably lamer than my beer addled brain thinks at the moment. )
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-14, 17:41

'fiend, it's 6:30. And you're already beer addeled? Awesome.

As for the Target thing - it's a great deal for almost everything. We shop at Target more than we like to admit. It's convenient, has decent selection and is clean in addition to being reasonably priced. Just remember to pay off those creditcard bills in full every month and don't buy anything you wouldn't normally buy and it's like getting a real 5% discount.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-10-14, 18:02

I played a show at work today for a United Way function. We had USFL cheerleaders fronting our band while we played and a local brewery providing free samples and the cafeteria providing munchies. Not a bad way to spend the last few hours of work today.

As for Target, they sell Malt O Meal's Tootie Frootie cereal so they're OK in my book.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale calling my name.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-14, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
'fiend, it's 6:30. And you're already beer addeled? Awesome.

As for the Target thing - it's a great deal for almost everything. We shop at Target more than we like to admit. It's convenient, has decent selection and is clean in addition to being reasonably priced. Just remember to pay off those creditcard bills in full every month and don't buy anything you wouldn't normally buy and it's like getting a real 5% discount.
Target actually has been having really good prices lately. They beat Amazon's pricing on Iron Man 2, they had that DJ Hero deal, I got the first two Steig Larsson books for $4 less than Amazon...

If you buy an iPad at Target with the 5% deal that's $25 saved right there. On an Apple product! And you don't have to sign up for a credit card or anything. And their stores are always clean and well-stocked. Yeah, I'm a Target fan We're planning on getting an HDTV there on Black Friday.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-15, 16:06

Fable II is currently free on Xbox Live.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-10-15, 16:10

...wat?

Games on Demand?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-15, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
...wat?

Games on Demand?
Yup. Good game if you don't have it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-23, 08:17

Amazon is offering a free tier of their cloud services. I'm not 100% clear on what it all means aside from the 5 gigs of superfast S3 storage. It seems like their offering something comparable to a linode service. I'm still trying to figure it out. At any rate, I'll be using the storage to host the media for my wordpress site.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-23, 15:26

Quote:
Amazon is offering a free tier of their cloud services. I'm not 100% clear on what it all means aside from the 5 gigs of superfast S3 storage. It seems like their offering something comparable to a linode service. I'm still trying to figure it out. At any rate, I'll be using the storage to host the media for my wordpress site.
I found a really nice walkthrough of setting up S3 and Cloudfront with a wordpress site. Seems easy enough and should alleviate a lot of the burden on your server. Cloudfront isn't free, but the storage is. I suppose it's possible to use the simple storage service for free. But at $.15/gig, I'm not too worried about breaking the bank.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-10-23, 15:27

Looks like this might be just what jdcfsu was looking for.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-23, 17:26

I've also found a couple of plugins that can use the S3 storage directly rather than having to route through the Cloudfront, so it would be free up to a point. I'm going to see what's easier to use.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-24, 12:22

Don't worry tori — this isn't a video game deal!

I'm sure some people are probably going to be getting the new version of Office:mac. Best Buy is giving away $20 gift cards with all versions, and they have the Home & Student edition for $119, so it's sort of like getting Office for $99. That's even less than Amazon.

And while you're there, itisbuytwogetonefreeonallthegamesintheirweeklyad, includingallthenewreleases.

*whistles innocently*

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-24, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Don't worry tori — this isn't a video game deal!

I'm sure some people are probably going to be getting the new version of Office:mac. Best Buy is giving away $20 gift cards with all versions, and they have the Home & Student edition for $119, so it's sort of like getting Office for $99. That's even less than Amazon.

And while you're there, itisbuytwogetonefreeonallthegamesintheirweeklyad, includingallthenewreleases.

*whistles innocently*
Shut up shut up shut up shut up
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-30, 23:37

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are $9.97 each. If you haven't played these games, you should. I've gotten nearly 80 hours of play out of the 2 of them and I don't typically play games that long.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-31, 05:10

If any of you like Bose in-ear headphones, Target.com is giving them away free with the 32GB iPod touch (the new one with FaceTime). They're a "$90 value," so. The link is here, the price should drop to $299 any minute now. The 32GB iPod touch is already the best deal of the iPod line, so...

Virgin Mobile is continuing to offer their amazing $25 300 minutes + unlimited messaging + unlimited web plan, and I will continue to shout it from the rooftops. This week, their lowest-end phone for that plan — Kyocera's Loft — is $49 at Radio Shack. That's my least favorite of their "Beyond Talk" phones, and I wouldn't get it for web browsing, but for talk and text it should be decent ($49 is cheap for any qwerty phone). If you want something moar awsum, Target is including a $20 gift card with Samsung's Android-powered Intercept ($249), which amazingly can still use the same $25 plan. The resolution is a little bit low (WQVGA), so you won't be running all the Market apps, but for a contract-free smartphone it certainly beats a BlackBerry (which actually costs $10 more each month).

Finally, if you're krazy for Kinect (sigh), Target is giving $20 gift cards with the 4GB Xbox + Kinect bundle ($299), and Best Buy is including an extra song ("Control" by Janet Jackson) with Dance Central. There's other deals, but if you buy any other Kinect game, you deserve to waste your money.

These are all peanuts compared to coming Black Friday craziness, of course. Which, increasingly, starts the first weekend in November.

Starting on Sunday, September 7, Toys R Us is offering a $50 gift card when you buy two $59.99 games. I probably don't have to remind you all that Call of Duty: Black Ops also comes out next week. Also, if you're a member of their free rewards program, you'll earn a boosted 10% credit this holiday season (which you'll get in gift card form...after the holidays). So it's essentially buy one get one free, which handily beats the buy two get one free sale Target is running on games this week.

Last edited by Robo : 2010-10-31 at 05:48.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-10-31, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Starting on Sunday, September 7, Toys R Us is offering a $50 gift card when you buy two $59.99 games. I probably don't have to remind you all that Call of Duty: Black Ops also comes out next week. Also, if you're a member of their free rewards program, you'll earn a boosted 10% credit this holiday season (which you'll get in gift card form...after the holidays). So it's essentially buy one get one free, which handily beats the buy two get one free sale Target is running on games this week.
Just remember that you won't be teaming up Gran Turismo 5 with Black Ops for the coupon.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-10-31, 13:05

Amazon is matching Target's buy 2 get 1 sale.

No. More. Games. For. Me. Seriously.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-01, 22:11

The Roots' Things Fall Apart is $3.99 @ Amazon. Use code "STUDENT3" for $3. Get the album for $.99!

(Redeem the code where it says "Redeem a gift card or promotion code & view balance". It took me a little while to find it.)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-11-01, 22:13

Quote:
The Roots' Things Fall Apart is $3.99 @ Amazon. Use code "STUDENT3" for $3. Get the album for $.99!

(Redeem the code where it says "Redeem a gift card or promotion code & view balance". It took me a little while to find it.)
I used that code to get $3 in MP3 credit. Is it good for more than that?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-11-01, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I used that code to get $3 in MP3 credit. Is it good for more than that?
I think that's all it's good for.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-02, 00:28

Quote:
No. More. Games. For. Me. Seriously.
Me too.

Even though Vanquish is only $34.99 at Kmart.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-02, 01:06

I know the last IKEA thread was oddly controversial, but there's some charitable IKEA deals I wanted to share.

First of all, holiday cards! It's that time of year again, and IKEA is the best place to buy UNICEF holiday cards. I like giving UNICEF holiday cards because they're just as nice as more expensive greeting cards but they're a fraction of the price and they help UNICEF. Instead of paying seriously like $4.50/card at the mall you can get a dozen for $10 (or $20 if they're really fancy, like pop-up cards). If you don't have an IKEA nearby you can always order the cards from UNICEF and all the proceeds after the cost of producing the cards will go to UNICEF, but IKEA actually goes one better: IKEA donates the full purchase price of the cards to UNICEF, plus $1, and you don't have to pay for shipping. You spend $10, UNICEF gets $11, and you get nice greeting cards to boot. Win!

Also, if you are thinking about donating toys this holiday season, you can double-donate by buying stuffed animals from IKEA. IKEA's plushes are less expensive than toy store plushes. They're probably not lovingly hand-crafted from the finest materials by master artisans, but neither are toy store plushes, and kids don't care. IKEA has a plush shark. Who else has a plush shark?!

Anyway, for every "soft toy" sold between now and Christmas, IKEA donates a euro ($1.39) to UNICEF/Save the Children. In fact, they donate a euro even if you buy a tiny $0.49 plush. That's better than the best corporate gift matching schemes, and you get a toy to donate...or keep. (Just keep in mind that some organizations, like hospitals, dislike soft toys.)

Finally, I just wanted to briefly mention one of my favorite IKEA products, the solar-powered SUNNAN lamp. It's a simple LED lamp that never has to be plugged in, which makes it both eco-friendly and conveniently portable. It's $19.99, and for every one sold IKEA donates one to UNICEF/Save the Children so a child in a country without affordable power can do things after dark. Since many children in those countries are busy working during the day, a lamp allows them to reclaim the evening for studying and receiving an education.

I happen to like the bright colors SUNNAN has always come in (including orange!), but if you don't, I just wanted to mention that IKEA has just recently starting making it in both black and white, which you may find more agreeable.

Anyway, enough IKEA shillery. I thought those were neat deals, anyway. On my last IKEA pilgrimage, I got a plush Westie with a cute tartan and I've been pleased with the quality so far. So.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-06, 01:10

While I'd still say the PSP-3000 is the better gaming machine, $149 isn't at all a bad deal for a large-screened 16GB media player that also happens to play many PSP games, and that's how much Best Buy is selling the PSP go for today. Just keep in mind that the PSP go doesn't support all PSP games, so if there's a particular game you're buying the system for, double-check that it's offered on the PSN first.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-07, 02:38

Black Friday is a-coming, and that means one thing: irate crowds special video game hardware bundles.

~ Holiday Hardware Guide ~

•••

Nintendo has red Mario DSi XL and Wii bundles out today at $179 and $199, respectively, but since the the Mario Kart/DSi XL bundle costs $10 more than a standard DSi XL and the red Wii bundle just swaps out Wii Sports Resort for New Super Mario Bros., they're not the best deals around. It wouldn't be Black Friday without two special DS bundles, though, and they just leaked: A bright Mario-y red DSi and a bright Luigi-y green DSi, both with Mario Party DS for the same $149 price. So if you have two kids, you can get them matching DSis and they can play Mario Party together. You'd be psychologically conditioning the one with the red DSi to always be the star of the show, though.

Lots of retailers give gift cards with DSis on Black Friday, so if you play your cards right (see what I did there?) you can get the free game and a ~$20 gift card. And specially colored systems, too (red and green are perfect for the holidays, no?). The systems don't have any special markings, though. You'd have to get the special Mario DSi XL (or import the Japanese Mario DSi) for that.

Yes, the 3DS is coming in March, but it's probably going to be pretty expensive (~$250), and the DS should have plenty of developer support for a good while yet. The DSi/XL is still a Robo-approved gift, especially at the new prices. But unless you have a library of beloved Game Boy Advance games, I really can't recommend the DS lite for even the youngest player any more, not when you can get much nicer hardware, a game, and a $20 gift card for, well, an extra $20. (Plus, kids just love the crappy camera app for some reason. OK, goofing up people's faces is sort of fun.)

•••

Sony comes out with PSP bundles year-round. As of this writing, you can currently get the MLB 2010 The Show, Madden 2011, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Invisimals, God of War: Ghost of Sparta and even last year's Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines and Hannah Montana bundles at Amazon. These are all okay deals — they pretty much all come with a game, a special system, a Memory Stick, and either a movie or free music downloads for $30 more than a standard PSP; the MLB 2010 and Madden 2011 ditch everything but the game but cost the same as a gameless PSP — but not really Black Friday-caliber, yet. If they come with gift cards, though... (The standout bundles are the two newest ones; the blue Invisimals bundle comes with the PSP camera and the red/black God of War bundle actually includes both PSP God of War games.)

An all-new PSP (which may or may not be a phone) is expected in time for next holiday season, but again, it will be more expensive. A new model of the current PSP might be announced much sooner, and will probably be cheaper than today's PSP. So buying a PSP this holiday is a bit more of a gamble.

EDIT: Found confirmation of the Sears PSP bundle, and it's the best deal yet. Little Big Planet, The Karate Kid on UMD, and a Memory Stick, all for the same $169 as the naked PSP is a really good deal; Sears taking $40 off the top on Black Friday makes it an crazy deal. You can barely even get a PS2, a Memory Card, and a game for $129.

Special PS3 bundles are also a Black Friday fixture. These vary from store to store but typically bundle the $299 PS3 with either two PS3 games or a game and a Blu-ray. This year's Sears PS3 bundle, for example, includes the spectacular Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, along with a Blu-ray of The Karate Kid and what looks to be a PSN download voucher for...something. There's no new hardware on the horizon, and a price drop in the near future seems unlikely, so Black Friday should be the absolute best time to buy a PS3. And don't worry about crowds — even if you don't want to order online, last year I hopped into a Best Buy fifteen minutes before they closed on Friday night and picked up one of the PS3 bundles without issue. Stores typically get plenty of them.

•••

Microsoft always bundles two games with their hard-drive-packing Xbox for the holidays, as well, and this year is no exception. Unlike Sony, their bundle is the same for all stores, and it's actually available now. You can now get Forza Motorsport III and the hugely underrated Alan Wake for free with 250GB Xboxes. In a departure from previous years, Alan Wake is actually included as a download voucher instead of an a disc, so you'll have to download it; this shouldn't be a problem, though, since the new Xbox finally includes f$%@ing Wi-Fi. Hopefully this means buyers will get the full retail box for Forza — Microsoft typically throws both the bonus games back-to-back in a single ugly box.

This is unlikely to be the best deal on the Xbox this holiday season; Microsoft is known for their aggressive holiday promotions. Last year Walmart offered up a $100 gift card for free with the $199 Xbox, for example, and that wasn't even on Black Friday. We'll have to wait for all the deals to leak, but so far we know Sears is going to be including Halo: Reach for free with the $199 Xbox, which is worth more than Forza and Alan Wake combined, and on the cheaper Xbox to boot.

•••

Ho-ho-hopefully that at least helps somebody, and doesn't make me look crazy obsessive compulsive. I'll keep on posting any crazy Black Friday deals in this thread, as they leak. Other than new hardware launches (and there were none, this year), Black Friday is always the best time to buy game hardware.

Last edited by Robo : 2010-11-07 at 03:15.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-07, 10:18

Oooh, that's a very nice post.

The possibility of a $199 Xbox with the $100 dollar gift card really caught my eye. Would you mind keeping us (me) updated?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-08, 23:54

What's the best place to keep an eye out on these holiday deals?