User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help. Hard drive space went from 30.5 GB to 26.85 Gb.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help. Hard drive space went from 30.5 GB to 26.85 Gb.
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-30, 15:48

Ever since 10.3.4 update my HD space was dropping. Before I did the update the HD was at 30.5 GB free space. After the update it went down to 29.85 GB. Then the next day it went to 28.85 GB. Now it is at 26.85 GB. I did disk repair permissions. I didn't do any downloading after that. Will the Hardware test pick anything up? Please help.

giggity
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-30, 16:52

D00d, I love you man. Even if you are having us on.

Free Hard Drive space decreases as you load more information onto your computer. At some point, your computer will get full of information and your free space will be close to zero. Understand?

:squinty:

bouncy bouncy
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-30, 16:56

I am sorry that I am being a little rude. I didn't add or download anything on the computer. It is dropping for some strange reason. Hardware test did nothing. No more music went on the computer. No games, no updates no anything since the 10.3.4.

giggity
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-05-30, 17:14

download omnidisksweeper from www.omnigroup.com/applications/

it is free and will help you to find where your data went...

I'm betting that it is either cached webpages OR you have something like poisoned installed and don't realize it...

I would also delete your caches and fix permissions/fsck and that whole nine yards...

then reclaim any lost space with the app I referenced above...

you should also delete the folder ~/Library/Safari/Icons/

it keeps LOADS of files and slows web browsing considerably... see here

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2004-05-30 at 17:26. Reason: added good info
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-30, 20:46

I think I found the problem. It looks like my sister hijacked my powerbook and put songs on itunes. Then she burned them on cds and forgot to erase the music. I will get back to you all to see if it works.

update: It didn't work. I didn't get the missing space back.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2004-05-30 at 20:55.
¡Damned!

2004-05-30, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I think I found the problem. It looks like my sister hijacked my powerbook and put songs on itunes. Then she burned them on cds and forgot to erase the music. I will get back to you all to see if it works.
Where is the pushy-eyed smilie when you need it?

LOL, Quaq. Good detective work.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-05-30, 22:11

Have you tried restarting the computer?

Might be your swap files

Last edited by _Ω_ : 2004-05-31 at 00:00.
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-30, 22:23

I had tried restarting it. When I tried to do a persons advice in this post deleting the caches, I accidently deleted everything. So every was the same when I got the computer. I managed to fix everything back except for the missing space. I am currently taking desktop photo's to show how much free space is going down. I am not going to download or save anything on my computer to see what happens. If this continues I will take to my local apple store. Also the S.M.A.R.T status said verified so something else is happening.

giggity
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-31, 04:19

Quote:
I am sorry that I am being a little rude. I didn't add or download anything on the computer. It is dropping for some strange reason. Hardware test did nothing. No more music went on the computer. No games, no updates no anything since the 10.3.4.
Oh, sorry d00d.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-05-31, 20:28

check your console (it is in the utilities folder)

should give you a heads up on any errors going on behind the scenes...
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-31, 20:43

The console says this

2004-05-31 15:35:53.203 Safari[445] GIF decompressor: GIF image ran out of compressed data at offset 0x21
2004-05-31 15:35:58.205 Safari[445] GIF decompressor: GIF image ran out of compressed data at offset 0x21

giggity
Akumulator

2004-05-31, 21:52

Quote:
The console says this

2004-05-31 15:35:53.203 Safari[445] GIF decompressor: GIF image ran out of compressed data at offset 0x21
2004-05-31 15:35:58.205 Safari[445] GIF decompressor: GIF image ran out of compressed data at offset 0x21
OH SHIT!

You need to get as far away from you Powerbook as possible, FAST!!! That thing's about to blow! Take it to the middle of a field, drop it off a bridge, or throw it in front of a bus....what ever it takes! Hurry, you don't have much time left! If it beeps or even if the fan kicks on, it may be too late!
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-31, 21:53

It was so funny I forgot to laugh. Hahahahahahha. So you can come and steal my powerbook. If it was a pc laptop I will allow you to steal it because it is a piece of shit.

giggity
Akumulator

2004-05-31, 21:55

Ok, send it to me then... I'll figure out what's wrong with it.

Edit: Seriously though, is it the Powerbook with the built-in keyboard? Those things can eat up ROM disk terminal swapper.

Last edited by Akumulator : 2004-05-31 at 22:01.
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-31, 22:12

Don't all powerbooks come with a built in keyboard?
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-05-31, 22:50

Quote:
Don't all powerbooks come with a built in keyboard?
yes, they do. he was probabyl just being an asshole.

when you removed your sister's music, did you remove it from within iTunes the program, or did you route around the hard drive for it? If you did it from iTunes, I think iTunes should have asked you if you want to delete the files, or just delete their reference in the library. You may have opted to just remove their references. In which case, you'd have to manually look around your hard drive for the music. The no-cost omnidisksweeper program mentioned above (in paul's post) should be able to tell you how heavy (in terms of MB) various sections of your hard drive are (if it acts like i think i remember it does). Most likely, if your sister's music is still on the computer, it will be bunched together in a folder. ods should be able to find it. and if its not the music, ods should be able to find whatever the problem is anyway.
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-31, 22:54

Thank you I will try that. Unfortunatly not right now because I just shut down my powerbook and writing this on my parents Powermac G4 400 mhz. Do you have any clue what folder it would be under? Thanks.

giggity
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-05-31, 23:09

Quote:
Thank you I will try that. Unfortunatly not right now because I just shut down my powerbook and writing this on my parents Powermac G4 400 mhz. Do you have any clue what folder it would be under? Thanks.
well, it depends on how the music was attained, ie: legally or iLegally. of course, if its the latter, don't admit it online. iTunes, when you rip a cd, puts music (i think) into a subfolder in the Music folder in your home directory (or, as the case may be, your sister's home directory). Older versions, if memory serves, put it in the Documents folder, possibly under a iTunes, or Music, subfolder. p2p music sharing programs have various places where they put music. i'd like to think that most of them put it somewhere in a user's home directory, probably under the Documents or Music folders. mutella, which a certain freak might have occassion to use for his own amusement, creates a folder called mutella, in this certain freak's home folder, wherein it stores its downloads. i haven't used limewire in a while, so i dont remember where that puts stuff.

All of that paragraph is muddied though, because nearly all programs allow the user to configure, in preferences, where to put the music. the ods should be able to find it all though. personally i haven't used it in a while, but i remember it being really keen when i did.
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-01, 15:22

I did found that file and trashed. Yes, and I did get back the 4 GB missing from the HD. Thank you all for your help and especially you thuh freak. I am up to to 30.33 GB

giggity
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-01, 16:35

Quote:
I did found that file and trashed. Yes, and I did get back the 4 GB missing from the HD. Thank you all for your help and especially you thuh freak. I am up to to 30.33 GB
thanks are most appreciated in cash form.