AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Amazon dash wand

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Amazon dash wand
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-06-19, 01:31

Anyone get one of these? Mine arrived today. AmaOn is charging $20 for it but then crediting your account $20 so it’s free

It’s amazing. Basically amazon Alexa in a magnetic stick with a barcode scanner that allows you to order anything by asking Alexa or scanning a barcode, plus it has all of Alexa’s other features including smart home control.

Again... this is free.

I love the industrial design of it as well. It’s design is so practical and useful. Something Apple would never do... have a rubber end to the device with a loop hole in it to hang it places.

I’m very impressed. Alexa works incredibly fast on it as well.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-06-19, 07:12

I thought about it because it's basically free.

I'm just not sure about adding yet anything thing that I can buy things from Amazon on just yet...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2017-06-19, 20:08

I've seen these before and they are tempting because of the initial free money, basically, but I don't have anything that I need that badly. Just seems gimmicky.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2017-06-20, 09:58

reading the reviews, the jacked up prices on everyday items would catch me if I wasn't 100% on top of it. think i'll pass until Amazon is able to police the pricing better.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-20, 22:36

Doesn't it add it to your cart but not buy them? So at least you can review the cart before ordering. I kinda like the idea, but not sure I want Alexa in my house. At all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-06-21, 01:18

Yes. You can either add to cart or buy items instantly. Default is add to cart and review later.

I think the key is basically a free equivalent to Siri in a really clever design.

It’s really smart and and as Amazon makes a stronger push into grocery stores and delivery I can imagine every item from whole foods having a scannable barcode and when you use something or run low just scan quick with this wand at your fridge and it’ll be in your next delivery.
Stoltz

2018-06-05, 12:39

I recently got to try the wand and I'm really impressed with it. It's so easy to use and it works great with Alexa. I'm thinking I need this in my life lol.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2018-06-06, 12:46

I've never even heard of the Amazon Wand. So I went to search on Amazon.com. Other than the wand itself, most of the search results are dildos. ROTFLMAO!

I bought an Amazon Echo Plus (?) in December. However, I promptly returned it. I couldn't get it to work with the free smart bulb included in the package. More importantly, the damn thing responded to mention of Alexa in a TV commercial. That drove me nuts, and made it clear that Alexa has no place in my house.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2018-06-06, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
I've never even heard of the Amazon Wand. So I went to search on Amazon.com. Other than the wand itself, most of the search results are dildos. ROTFLMAO!
Yeah, I had no idea what the dash wand was and when I saw the title my first thought was, "Amazon's making a knockoff of the Hitachi Magic Wand?"

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2018-06-07, 13:07

I got one when they had the "buy a dash wand for $20 and get a $20 credit towards your next Amazon purchase" deal going. I buy from Amazon all the time, so it made the wand free. I've had it out of the box once, just to see. I scanned something and it ended up in my Amazon cart. I noped right out of that mistake waiting to happen.

Ugh.