Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Dual Screen with iBook??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dual Screen with iBook??
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-07-23, 08:00

Firstly is it possible, I know it is with a PB but when I was browsing the apple site it never mentioned hooking up with an iBook. Basically I am a Graphic Design Student going into my 2nd year at uni, I needed a Mac so went for the cheaper option of a 14" iBook. Anyway its getting to the point where my screen is not big enough. I use my iBook as a desktop more or less occasionally moving it around, but this tends to be when at home and not Uni.

Basically I want to know if its possible to hook my iBook up with an external screen?? Also looking for advice on screens. I can't afford an Aplpe one, they are just to expensive for my student finances, so if anyone knows of some Decent flat screens I could use, this would be much apprecaiated!!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-23, 08:09

Yes, it is possible. First, you will need the VGA adapter that comes with your iBook. Once you've found that, you will need a little script called 'Screen Spanning Doctor' that allows for your iBook to run in extended desktop mode. The reason you need the script is because Apple disables the screen spanning feature on all iBooks (to justify the extra cost of the PowerBook), and you must re-enable it via above script (don't worry, it's simply a matter of clicking it and restarting). Finally, you will need a suitable display. I personally use a generic 15" CRT, which can be picked up at garage sales for $20-$30. If you'd like an LCD screen, I recommend newegg.com. Look around, and you can find them for $200-$250.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-07-23, 16:25

Dell flatscreens are good. My iBook is driving the 24" one, but the 20" ones can be had a lot cheaper.
cyrusmekon

Send a message via AIM to cyrusmekon Send a message via Yahoo to cyrusmekon  
2005-07-24, 02:57

Koodari

Whats your opinion on the dell 24" now? Still as impressive when you first got it. I will be in the market around Xmas time. Like yourself an iBook will be driving it.

Your thoughts good or bad would be appreciated. I actually havnt seen the Dell in real life yet.

Cheers.
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-07-24, 08:38

THanks for the recommendations. I will have to eplore further. Am I right in thinking that any TFT monitor will work with my iBook or am i limited?? I would've thought any would work so long as I can get the drivers!!
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-25, 07:43

As soon as I find an RCA cable, I'll find out for sure whether I can span over to my TV.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-08-02, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
As soon as I find an RCA cable, I'll find out for sure whether I can span over to my TV.
Found one, and yes, it'll span!

It works just fine with Keynote's and PowerPoint's presenter tools, too. After setting a color calibration for the TV, I've been messing around for only a few minutes and found one incompatibility -- the 20th Century Voyage screensaver has some weird drawing issues on my iBook's display while the TV shows it fine, if a bit lower framerate than usual.

Right now, this is more unused functionality than something I truly need. But, if I want to, I can put Solitaire Forever on the TV while doing regular stuff on the iBook.. lol
eochs

2005-08-18, 19:50

With spanning on the ibook (and the PB) do you have to run the external monitor at 1024x768? I have a 19" Dell flat panel and am trying to decide between the 2 different 12" laptops...
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-08-18, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eochs
With spanning on the iBook (and the PB) do you have to run the external monitor at 1024x768? I have a 19" Dell flat panel and am trying to decide between the 2 different 12" laptops...
Nope, you can run the external monitor at a different resolution. My TV certainly doesn't do 1024x768.
eochs

2005-08-18, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Nope, you can run the external monitor at a different resolution. My TV certainly doesn't do 1024x768.
I just have to run 'Screen Spanning Doctor' to be able to do a different resolution though correct?

I finally played with a 12" Powerbook tonight at a friends place... I was wary of the screen size and 1024x768, but it is simply beautiful... I want one. now.

But, if the only thing I'm really gaining is the DVI port and the ability (natively with the script) to drive an external monitor, I don't see where the extra money is worth it... At home I will use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so I am not as concerned about the cheaper keyboard on the iBook, but I sure do like the aluminum case on the powerbook... Probably smarter for me to save $500, go up to the 80gb or 100gb hard drive, and 1GB of RAM...

Is it possible for me to just buy a hard drive and install it (go to a MAC authorized service center so I don't void the warranty?)... How big can I go on the drive?
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-08-19, 23:15

Quote:
I just have to run 'Screen Spanning Doctor' to be able to do a different resolution though correct?
Yup. Simple as that. Once that's done, fiddle with the Displays preference pane for a little while and you'll figure out how to set things up.

Quote:
I don't see where the extra money [for the PB] is worth it...
DVD burner, better video, audio in, Superdrive, ... and for practical purposes, that's about it. Depends on how many of those things you could live without.

Quote:
Is it possible for me to just buy a hard drive and install it (go to a MAC authorized service center so I don't void the warranty?)... How big can I go on the drive?
The size of the HD's case would have to remain the same, of course, but you can go with as high of a capacity as they make. You'll probably be able to replace the 100 GB drive with a 200 or 300 GB version in three years.
eochs

2005-08-20, 02:12

Thanks for the info... I am going to buy a 12" PB with combo drive, and then upgrade to a gig of RAM... It comes with the 60GB drive, but I can get my hands on a 100GB 5400RPM drive fairly cheap... Is the hard drive on the PB a lot easier to install then the iBook?

btw, I work in server engineering for a major computer company, I know my way around a system and feel completely at home with it in pieces all around me... Just really trying to figure out how to get around the warranty voiding problem... If I take the 60GB out it is going to sit on a shelf in my closet just in case I need to send the PB out for service...

I really want to go pick this up tomorrow, but the way bills are timed this month I need to wait until about September 10th to do this... If I'm gonna wait that long I might as well wait to see if they actually update the PB's in late September... Killing me that I have to wait another month!!!!!!!!!!!
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-08-20, 09:28

Quote:
Thanks for the info... I am going to buy a 12" PB with combo drive, and then upgrade to a gig of RAM... It comes with the 60GB drive, but I can get my hands on a 100GB 5400RPM drive fairly cheap... Is the hard drive on the PB a lot easier to install then the iBook?
Nah, I don't think so -- the original multicolored iBook started the trend of Apple laptops being difficult to upgrade, and the metal Powerbooks have followed suit.

You will risk voiding the warranty if you open it up yourself, true. If you really can take it apart & put it back together without Apple having a chance to discover your work, then, um, I never heard or saw nuthin'..

Are you going to fill up the 60 GB right away? If it'll take a while, might as well wait until HD prices go down (or capacities go up again).