AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacPro Kernel panic in 10.6.2, 10.6.3, Windows video card related

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacPro Kernel panic in 10.6.2, 10.6.3, Windows video card related
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-03-29, 18:02

So I'm putting this here in the hopes that someone might know an answer, but more importantly to document the issue for anyone else searching the web.

I use my machine in both OSX and Windows.

For gaming I boot into windows.

The card I have is a PCI-E card that has beefy power requirements. Both the PCI-E power supplies on the MB are used to power the card. In 10.6 this was no problem.

In 10.6.1 this was no problem.

10.6.2 and 10.6.3 will both cause the machine to KP during the boot up process, well before you can get into single user mode or safe mode.

As of now, I have confirmed that by unplugging the video card's power, the card appears to go into some kind of "safe mode" with the fan fully on, and the machine will boot just fine.

I'm going to try switching the video card slots to see if that makes a difference, but I think the Mac side has to have the primary video card in the first slot to work. Anyone else run into this before? Have any other suggestions?

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-29, 18:38

A Windows video card in your Mac Pro will cause a KP, if it is the only or first card installed.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-29, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
A Windows video card in your Mac Pro will cause a KP, if it is the only or first card installed.
Well then I'm hosed, because it's the second card and there are no other channels to put the Windows video card in.

Stupid thing is specific to OSX updates too, which is really F'ing annoying. I'll see what else I can try, but I don't think I have any other options at this point other than unplugging it when I want to boot into OSX or reverting back to 10.6.1 or 10.6.

Very annoying knowing that there's nothing wrong with the machine, software or third party hardware but I still can't get it to boot.

Anyone know if there's a way to tell OSX that a specific PCI-E slot is disabled at a very low level, so that during the boot up process it just ignores that slot?

Google is your frenemy.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-29, 19:13

Everything I've read online about this issue says that you have to unplug it, unless you want to mess with the machines firmware (which is risky).
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-29, 19:18

Quote:
Everything I've read online about this issue says that you have to unplug it, unless you want to mess with the machines firmware (which is risky).
Have you come across any reason why it works in previous builds of OSX but not .2 and later? That's what really annoys me. If I downgrade back to 10.6.1 I'll be fine, but there are some annoying quirks that are fixed in 10.6.2 (printer drivers for an HP printer I have to be exact) that it would be nice to have fixed.

Google is your frenemy.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-29, 19:50

I suspect Apple has done it to push people into buying the HD4870.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-30, 16:03

Quirky, weird update.

Apparently, if you hold down the alt key during the boot process to select from either the Windows boot drive or the Mac boot drive, then proceed to select the Mac boot drive, it will boot just fine. (sometimes. other times it KP's again. what a piece of CRAP.)

If you have your machine set to boot into OSX by default and *don't* manually select the boot drive, it kernel panics.

Google is your frenemy.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-30, 16:08

Well, you cannot expect a video card without EFI firmware to be problem free in a machine with EFI firmware.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-30, 16:51

Quote:
Well, you cannot expect a video card without EFI firmware to be problem free in a machine with EFI firmware.
I can if it's NOT USED at all, and was working just peachy with older versions of the OS. Looks like I'll be downgrading to 10.6 again and then stopping at 10.6.1 and waiting until 10.6.4 to see if they can fix their shit. I'd bring it to an Apple Genius but I'm sure they'd be zero help.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to editing out the availability of this PCI-E slot in my Macs EFI please feel free. I can always restore it if I hose it up too badly.

Google is your frenemy.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2010-03-31, 04:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I can if it's NOT USED at all
It is used! By being plugged in its memory gets allocated address space, drivers get loaded, etc, etc... It's quite possible that something Apple has put in to fix one of its own display issues is causing the Windows card to barf!

Quote:
...and waiting until 10.6.4 to see if they can fix their shit...
I'd prefer them not to attempt to support every single configuration. The fact that Apple control hardware and software is what makes OS X... well, OS X!

Why did you pick a Windows GFX card?
(By Windows, I actually mean IMB PC / Non EFI, but its quicker to say Windows and you all know what I mean!!! )

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-31, 10:17

I boot into Windows for gaming, and a high quality windows gaming card is less than half as much as the closest actual Mac supported video card. Plus this one also has passive cooling, meaning less noise. The Mac ones didn't.

It just annoys me that it would work no problem in their initial builds of 10.6, and then fail so catastrophically down the line for a card that OS X won't even use anyway. The stock graphics card is still in the machine, and still in the primary PCI-E slot. This is just the second card. If there were some way to just tell the EFI to ignore that slot I would be happy.

Google is your frenemy.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2010-03-31, 11:37

Quote:
The card I have is a PCI-E card that has beefy power requirements. Both the PCI-E power supplies on the MB are used to power the card. In 10.6 this was no problem.
Could you wire an external switch into the extra power line? It could be dangerous, though, depending on what happens when you accidentally bump it and a new PCIe card magically appears on the bus.

Have you tried asking Apple? You'd probably need to talk to an OS engineer, which is doubtful over the phone, but maybe possible through the developer program. And yes, it is frustrating to have an OS update bork it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-31, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Could you wire an external switch into the extra power line? It could be dangerous, though, depending on what happens when you accidentally bump it and a new PCIe card magically appears on the bus.

Have you tried asking Apple? You'd probably need to talk to an OS engineer, which is doubtful over the phone, but maybe possible through the developer program. And yes, it is frustrating to have an OS update bork it.
That I haven't yet, wasn't sure how to even get in touch with someone who might know the answer. Not part of the developer program, but I can look around and see what other contact options there are.

Google is your frenemy.