AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Hitachi boosting Microdrive production

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hitachi boosting Microdrive production
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-05-16, 23:20

Hopefully soon enough we'll see what kind of rates Apple really can get on iPod mini sales. Hitachi is spending $200 million to increase the amount of microdrives made... with expectations of 2 million units/quarter by the end of 2004.

Full info from Macminute:
Quote:
Hitachi to boost production of iPod drive
May 17 - 00:01 Hitachi said on Sunday that it plans to spend about US$200 million to double the hard disk drive output of its Thailand factory, including the 1-inch 4GB Microdrives that are used in the iPod Mini. The company said Microdrive production will rise to about 2 million units per quarter by the end of 2004, up from 200,000 in the first three months of this year. Apple announced in March that the iPod mini would not be released worldwide until July due to inadequate supplies of the hard drives required. Apple's US online store shows an approximate wait of six weeks for the colorful digital music players.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-05-16, 23:44

If I'm not mistaken, the Hitachi drives are also in the muvo2. The supply for those is also severely constricted. They're a really hot commodity. But not as music players - it's because the high end digital cameras can use them as CF cards. Pretty funny if you ask me.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-18, 13:12

I think that Apple probably has some sort of contractual agreement with them...a first dibs kind of thing. I could be wrong though. I think Apple (as well as everyone else) knew the mini would be huge, so they could afford to poor a lot of money into them, in the way of an agreement with the manufacture for the first few production runs of the drives.
Yeah, they can be used in digital cameras but I think they will be limited to the mini and a handful of other cameras for the time being.

Come waste your time with me
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-29, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ View Post
…with expectations of 2 million units/quarter…

Yeah, right. Apple's never gonna sell 2 million of anything per quarter.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-20, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Hitachi drives are also in the muvo2. The supply for those is also severely constricted. They're a really hot commodity. But not as music players - it's because the high end digital cameras can use them as CF cards. Pretty funny if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

What the hell is a muvo2? Some of these 15 year old threads are gold mines.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-21, 10:11

Yeah, it's lots of fun to dig around back there and yank some of them forward once in a while. You know, for giggles and all.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-21, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

Calling it. PlaysForShizzle and Windows Media 9 are gonna obliterate iPod.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-21, 12:37

Oh, I agree! PlaysForShizzle is expected to outpace all iPod growth over the next ten years. I mean, with all those Windows users out there ready to adopt Microsoft music technology there's no way iPod wins this race. No way in hell. In fact, I will eat my hat if iPod outsells Zunomatic 1.0!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-21, 12:53

Crapple is doomed. All the experts say so.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-21, 13:05

They're gonna have to license OS X.