Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacPro and Airport Extreme Card

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacPro and Airport Extreme Card
randomrules

2006-08-07, 23:38

Hello all.
My Quicksilver G4 took a dive a month ago after 4+ years of solid service and 2 cross-country moves. I was able to hold out until WWDC to make my decision between a new iMac and a MacPro. After today's keynote, I have decided on the MacPro. I am quite anxious to have it in my hands as soon as possible (and my girlfriend is quite anxious to have her iBook back, too.)

Due to my apartment setup, having a wireless card is a must for my computer. To my dismay, adding an Airport Extreme as a BTO option on the MacPro bumped the ship date from 3-5 business days to 2-4 weeks. I am hoping somebody here can help me with the following questions;

- I assume the Airport Extreme that is included as the BTO option is the same card that I can purchase as a seperate item in the Apple Store for $50. The only reason I question this is due to the fact that the specs on the Airport Extreme card specifically note that it does not work with the Dual and Quad G5s from October 2005. Since those were the most current towers, I wonder if this carried over to the MacPro.

- If the Airport Extreme card that I purchase seperately will work, I am confident in my abilities to install it (having done so in 2 G5 iMacs - I also looked through the MacPro service manual and the installation is very straight-forward.) If I do this, will I void my warranty?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-08-09, 03:46

This link may explain the delay on BTO > http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0608airportexpress.html . It seems Apple will be using Broadcom rather than Atheros going forward.
randomrules

2006-08-09, 10:56

Ah, that explains it.

I'm glad I didn't add a regular Airport Extreme card to my Mac Pro order yesterday. I do have an extra Airport Express, so I think I will be able to use that via an ethernet cable to obtain the wireless signal.

I guess I'll have to go to an Apple Store when the new cards are available and have it installed.