Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Card slots on future Cinema Displays?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Card slots on future Cinema Displays?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-02-04, 20:39

Would you find use or like future Apple Cinema displays to include ports for SD/CF card slots?

As much as I love the miminalist design of Apple's Cinema Displays, I must admit some of Dell's displays are so feature ladden that I pose this question. Now before anyone gets all excited that it's going to look junky, I'd only want nothing less than a elegant implementation or don't have it at all.
And if it's possible, I'd love to see the same implemented on future AIO iMacs.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-04, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Would you find use or like future Apple Cinema displays to include ports for SD/CF card slots?
No. Ugh.

Quote:
As much as I love the miminalist design of Apple's Cinema Displays, I must admit some of Dell's displays are so feature ladden that I pose this question.
Aren't you contradicting yourself? You either like minimalism, or you like lots of features. The two can't go hand-in-hand; they're opposite each other.

Quote:
Now before anyone gets all excited that it's going to look junky, I'd only want nothing less than a elegant implementation or don't have it at all.
If vendors could agree on one(!) single(!) standard that will last us for years to come, i.e. will be actually scalable, then yes, I'd support this. As it is, however, we have to deal with dozens of different standards. If you were to do SD, pro photographers would be locked out. If you were to do SD and CF, Sony customers would be locked out. If you were to do SD, CF and MS, Fuji customers would be locked out. By the time you add XD, you can't speak of "minimalism" any more, and yet: the list goes on.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-02-04, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself? You either like minimalism, or you like lots of features. The two can't go hand-in-hand; they're opposite each other.
If you look at the back of an iMac, there are lots of features/ports but implemented nicely. Adding a CF/SD slot wouldn't add much clutter or additionally it could be elegantly concealed by a slide out panel.

As far as locking out certain users, floppy drives, ADB, SCSI, USB 1.0 ports, were all once on Macs but hey, that's progress. You can't please everyone, so pick the major card formats.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-04, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
If you look at the back of an iMac, there are lots of features/ports but implemented nicely. Adding a CF/SD slot wouldn't add much clutter or additionally it could be elegantly concealed by a slide out panel.

As far as locking out certain users, floppy drives, ADB, SCSI, USB 1.0 ports, were all once on Macs but hey, that's progress. You can't please everyone, so pick the major card formats.
But floppies, ADB, SCSI and USB all had their own legitimate uses. USB universally superseded ADB, and optical discs pretty much superseded floppy disks.

Memory card formats, however, do not supersede each other. As I pointed out, there's at least four widespread formats in use right now, and that's not even counting the smaller forms such as microSD.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2007-02-04, 21:47

Ugh is right!

USB and FireWire = externalize all that sloppy sh1t like ZIP drives, floppy drives, SD/CF cards etc....

Integration sucks. Bleargh! Ack!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-02-05, 18:12

No. In a way the fact that Dell does it is a pretty good indication why Apple shouldn't. Dell is known for doing gimmicky crap to make their computers more full-featured looking or modern looking. Their Industrial design nearly always sucks and card slots is rarely an exception. Those readers can short out pretty easily. Image the possibility that your system stability gets hosed, because of some faulty pins or card bus. It's just a stupid thing IMO.

Personally I don't like readers that much in general. Just adds to the cable-clutter of your workspace. I wish the cameras themselves were all fast enough to just hook up the cable directly. Make the issue of readers a moot point.

...into the light of a dark black night.
SilentSpectre

2007-02-05, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
My read on this is that while the poster loves Apple's minimalist designs, their is also a certain attraction to the features of Dell's monitors. They are most certainly NOT mutually exclusive. I love good old fashioned American muscle (especially 60's and early 70's trans-ams!), but I typically buy Lexus or Infiniti. There's nothing wrong with loving the beauty of one thing but wanting something that you view as more practical or useful.