User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Porting and Compiling in OSX

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Porting and Compiling in OSX
JCB

2005-01-07, 11:02

If I want to try and run a linux application in OSX, what must I do? I think fink is compiling/porting software, but I am not sure if that is what or all that I need to get going. I am not entirely sure if it is on my machine at this time, but I know where to get it if it is what I need. Right now in the normal terminal and X11 terminal, the commands "make" and "install" are not recognized. I have OSX 10.3.7. I have a little prior linux knowledge, but not much with OSX. I have X11 installed and running. If I use Fink, will the linux applications that were compiled/ported run under OSX, X11, or both?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-07, 11:17

If you want to roll your own code, you need to install Apple's free developer tools package.

If you purchased 10.3, there should be another CD in the box for it. If you purchased a Mac with 10.3 already installed, the dev. tools should be in /Applications/Installers. If you can't find the installer, you can download it for free from Apple by signing up for a free online account at http://connect.apple.com.

If you have little Linux knowledge and experience, unless you're a really good programmer, you probably aren't going to have a lot of success building your own ports. In that case, Fink would be for you.

As you seem to know already, Fink is an installer for open source software titles that have been ported and configured to run on Mac OS X. I would only suggest using Fink's packages if you just love to tinker with OSS or you absolutely need a certain program that it offers. Fink's programs are only ported with minimal changes, just enough to get them to run. As such, the GUI apps require X11 and do not take advantage of most of Mac OS X's special technologies.

Just my two cents.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-01-07, 19:52

Yeah, you'll need to install the Developer Tools, as Brad described.

A surprising number of GNU tools and things developed for linux will compile cleanly on OS X using the usual ./configure; make; sudo make install. I tend to go for this first, as these packages are often radically more up to date than the fink ports (lftp, for example, is about 30 iterations behind at fink). If you go with hand-compiling, however, you may have to add the more usual linux paths to your /etc/profile file.
JCB

2005-01-08, 22:09

Thanks guys for helping me get straightened out. I downloaded and installed Xcode Tools v1.2. I will download Fink to how it works, but want to keep trying everything via command line if possible. It's so easy to just forget about the unix under the hood with an apple. Everything works great on the desktop.