Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Anti Virus for Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anti Virus for Mac
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-03-03, 02:05

Should we install AV for Mac? I had installed Norton AV but uninstalled it after reading so many posts here regarding Kernal Panic it causes and other problems.

Any suggestions for anyothe anti virus software for Mac?

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-03, 02:13

Not worth it, IMHO.

Maybe once (if) a virus ever surfaces for Mac OS X, you should install some antivirus software (Virex is good), but until then it'll just be another program wasting your computer's resources.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
naashraf

2005-03-03, 02:22

But Brad if you read some posts here http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...2M.0@.3bb85b0c don't you feel a little scared. I mean some ppl have mentioned getting virus on their Macs.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-03, 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by naashraf
But Brad if you read some posts here ... don't you feel a little scared. I mean some ppl have mentioned getting virus on their Macs.
Not at all.

I haven't read through all of those threads, but from glancing at the first few, I am still 100% certain that these users are sorely mistaken if they think they are infected with viruses. There is not a single virus native to Mac OS X. The day that one is actually discovered, it will be met with fanfare across hundreds of websites and newspapers and magazines and a war will erupt online between the Mac and Windows fanbois.

Virex and NAV can detect Windows viruses on your computer. If these people are finding infected files, that's what they are. Notice how this user finds infected .exe files on his Mac? Those are Windows executable programs. Windows programs and viruses, however, will do absolutely nothing on your Mac. They'll just sit there completely inert. They can't execute even if you try to launch them manually. Windows executable code will run as well on your Mac as Mac OS X executable code will run on a Windows PC. That is, it won't run at all.

So, again, don't sweat it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
naashraf

2005-03-03, 02:47

Thanks .
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-03-03, 03:25

I've had more problems trying to use an anti-virus (updating it, running it, worrying about it) than I have had without Virex. And I've heard Norton is no picknick itself... Don't waste your time and money, just stick around, we'll let you know when a virus comes out.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-03-03, 09:16

naashraf As you now know, there is no real need to be concerned about a virus or viruses for OS X. If you still really want peace of mind, you might be interested to know that Virex is a free download for .Mac members.

However, like Sh0eXax/MacieJ, I have found getting Virex updated and running properly took a bit of effort for a while there. It is smooth sailing now of course, but eh .. what is it doing exactly? (Answer: not much.)
Kurama

2005-03-03, 10:16

well I just wanted to know; even if OSX can't be infected can these trojans and viruses spread through CD or DVD's when you burn something on a mac? And get your other computer (having to be PC being infected once entered the CD rom tray.)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-03, 11:50

Yes, that's pretty much the only reason Virex and NAV exist on Mac OS X. They make you "a good neighbor" when sharing files with Windows users. If you receive an infected file from a Windows user, these programs will clean them up so you won't inadvertently infect someone else if you share that file.

trevo

2005-03-03, 18:53

I totally agree with that, however I am concerned about RATs (remote administration tools). What are your thoughts on firewalls; I bought Norton Personal Firewall 2005. I've heard Norton products can cause some problems with the OS?

Matt.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-03, 19:11

norton's products suck.

the OS has a built in firewall that you can enable. i'd just turn that on. if you need more tweaking, there are a variety of good, free tools that will do the job.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-03-03, 19:16

As an OS X user your time is better spent on a good backup scheme.

You're way more likely to lose important files via stupidity or harddrive failure. To me, planning for my own stupidity is the smarter way to spend time and money...

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-03, 20:43

Agreed - save your money on anti-virus and firewall software (they're really not necessary, or worse, redundant), and buy an external hard drive instead. Get one the same size as your internal drive. Go download RsyncX. Set it up to do automated mirroring. Never worry about backups again.*

* Yes, yes, yes, I know about off-site backups, incremental archiving, keeping a rotating pool of backup media and all that. And I *do* most of that. But for most home users, a simple incremental mirroring done at 3am every night is more than enough.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-06, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
norton's products suck.

the OS has a built in firewall that you can enable. i'd just turn that on. if you need more tweaking, there are a variety of good, free tools that will do the job.
OS X firewall is robust but acts only for incoming only. If you happened to have something nasty on your Mac (unlikely given lack of viruses and spyware), OS X firewall won't prevent it giving your details to the outside world. For all its sins (and I take the Kernal panic point) , Norton will prevent incoming and outgoing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-06, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
OS X firewall is robust but acts only for incoming only.
Wrong!

The dumbed-down options that are offered in the System Preferences' Sharing panel only set filters for incoming transmissions. However, if you configure the built-in "ipfw" firewall software manually or with one of the tools like Brickhouse, you can block literally everything.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-10, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Wrong!

The dumbed-down options that are offered in the System Preferences' Sharing panel only set filters for incoming transmissions. However, if you configure the built-in "ipfw" firewall software manually or with one of the tools like Brickhouse, you can block literally everything.
Sounds good - I'm looking at Brickhouse as we speak.