User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Kernel Panic!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Kernel Panic!

2005-04-28, 20:07

Well I feel like the unluckiest person in the world today. With my tiger OS coming tomorrow, my 17" powerbook chose today to die. What happened was after my Safari browser crashed, I decided to restart the computer. But upon clicking the restart button, there was the dreaded spinning beach ball. So I was foolish enough to unplug the power cord and manually took out the battery to shut the machine down. When I restarted it, the OS told me to restart the computer. So I followed the instruction only to receive the same message. I put in the pather installation disk hoping to correct the problem only to get the kernel panic message! Now it's at a apple store to be fixed, but the queue is over a week like for the technician to check my machine! can anyone explain to me what the problem is? Is it rare or happen quite often?

Words of comfort would be appreciated at these trying times... :P
nomorewindows

2005-04-28, 20:12

This is your chance to experience the concept of delayed gratification. I only say this because I won't have Tiger until probably next week, and I'm jealous of anyone who gets it sooner than I do (no jokes here, please). For what it's worth, you do have my sympathy.

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-04-28, 20:44

That's totally fixable on your own. Check the Genius Bar sticky for how to zap your PRAM. I'm pretty sure that'll do it.
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-04-28, 21:09

I got two Kernel Panics since I switched to Mac in Feb. Once was when I un-installed Norton AV and the second one was the other day. After having cloed teh HD to my iPod using CCC I went to chage the Start-up disk in prefrences. As soon as i cliked the iPod disk to select, there was kernel panic. Well, got to restart the PB but lucky me, it started without any problems. I am new to mac so have messed a lot with it since i got it two months ago , kernel panic was kinda expected . I have however pressed the shutdown button few times 'cos beachball would not stop spining and nothing else would worl as well but it started without any prob. Never went to such extremes to remove the battery to shut the PB though. Anyway, i wih you luck that you get your PB back sooner than expected.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB

2005-04-28, 22:25

Thanks for the advice Torifile, I wish I visited here before i took in the powerbook for repair. I panicked and zoomed strait to the store ASAP. Maybe I should revisit the store tomorrow to try to zapping PRAM thing to see if I can fix it. I wouldn't mind waiting for them to diagnose it but I got a few documents on there I'm working on which I don't have any backup copies. That's really worrying.