User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New iPhone line, October 2011 — free iPhone! Sprint iPhone! Scary iPhone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPhone line, October 2011 — free iPhone! Sprint iPhone! Scary iPhone?
Page 5 of 12 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
So a mac rumor site has a theory about that. I don't see where that obliges Apple to manage the scrum of wild speculation that surrounds their every product release, and it doesn't strike me as any kind of failure on Apple's part to decline to preempt same with some kind of controlled leak.

Again, the main point being that none of this matters, at all. For people that follow this stuff, it's all very dramatic and they might experience the difference between made up shit and reality as a personal affront or a keen loss. But those people are a tiny minority. Even the people that bother to read tech articles claiming "people" are "disappointed" are a tiny minority.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-05, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
So a mac rumor site has a theory about that. I don't see where that obliges Apple to manage the scrum of wild speculation that surrounds their every product release, and it doesn't strike me as any kind of failure on Apple's part to decline to preempt same with some kind of controlled leak.
a theory? The author of that report was a Senior Manager of Apple Marketing.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-05, 08:21

Quote:
Again, the main point being that none of this matters, at all. For people that follow this stuff, it's all very dramatic and they might experience the difference between made up shit and reality as a personal affront or a keen loss. But those people are a tiny minority. Even the people that bother to read tech articles claiming "people" are "disappointed" are a tiny minority.
When CNN and the Today show discuss the disappointment it is not a "tiny minority" and it is a PR problem.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 08:27

Quote:
a theory? The author of that report was a Senior Manager of Apple Marketing.
OK, so they've done that in the past. Still not getting why that obliges Apple to control the rumors, or indeed how that would even work. If the WSJ or NYT runs a "inside sources" article before a hardware release, does that silence all the other outlets claiming inside sources? Does the hysteria abruptly die down because a big media outlet said something? If Apple had done exactly what's being described, and carefully laid out exactly what they were releasing a while back, would everyone now be going "Well, a bit underwhelming but then again we knew all about it because of that one anonymous tip in the WSJ story so it's all good?"

My impression is that while Apple might use controlled leaks to increase publicity for something they want to hype, it doesn't really work to dampen other speculation or rumor, which I think is what you are saying they should have done (not that I think they really needed to do that anyway).

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-05, 08:31

Quote:
OK, so they've done that in the past. Still not getting why that obliges Apple to control the rumors, or indeed how that would even work. If the WSJ or NYT runs a "inside sources" article before a hardware release, does that silence all the other outlets claiming inside sources? Does the hysteria abruptly die down because a big media outlet said something? If Apple had done exactly what's being described, and carefully laid out exactly what they were releasing a while back, would everyone now be going "Well, a bit underwhelming but then again we knew all about it because of that one anonymous tip in the WSJ story so it's all good?"

My impression is that while Apple might use controlled leaks to increase publicity for something they want to hype, it doesn't really work to dampen other speculation or rumor, which I think is what you are saying they should have done (not that I think they really needed to do that anyway).
Do you think it was just coincidence that the WSJ (quoting Apple officials who wished to remain anonymous) shot down the reports of an iPhone 5 for Sprint that surfaced the day before the announcement?
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 08:32

Quote:
When CNN and the Today show discuss the disappointment it is not a "tiny minority" and it is a PR problem.
I can think of lots of time the mainstream media played an Apple release as a disappointment. They do a few stories and then it's gone, lost in the data tsunami. No one will remember what CNN or Today said about the new iPhone in a week. No one remembers what anyone said about the iPad, which, as you may not recall, was met with a great deal of negative "just a big iPod" press. Lots of people were "disappointed", and Apple failed to manage expectations properly, or something.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-05, 08:42

Quote:
I can think of lots of time the mainstream media played an Apple release as a disappointment. They do a few stories and then it's gone, lost in the data tsunami. No one will remember what CNN or Today said about the new iPhone in a week. No one remembers what anyone said about the iPad, which, as you may not recall, was met with a great deal of negative "just a big iPod" press. Lots of people were "disappointed", and Apple failed to manage expectations properly, or something.
That's simply not true. Apple has become a pop culture icon.... CNN actually had a "breaking news" ticker on the iPhone 4S announcement.

With multiple sources suggesting an iPhone 5 was coming, as recently as this week, that is what most of the headlines and stories predicted going into Tuesday. As a result, the "4S" is deemed a disappointment.

You try to argue that most people don't care about this stuff because they aren't as involved in the tech world back and forth debate and details... yet, its these people that are most impressionable by what they see on tv and in the news and who simply read headlines and make judgments.

The iPhone 4S will sell... of course it will... but I think it would have sold better and received better press reaction if Apple had done a better job at tempering expectations leading up to the announcement.

What the media latches on to matters.... antennagate proved that.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 08:45

Just saw a cool little thing at Gizmodo-- the famous Knowledge Navigator video shows an onscreen document dated Sept. 16, 2006, which the main character refers to as being "about 5 years old."

So in 1987 Apple predicted the arrival time of Siri to within a few weeks.

addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 08:50

Quote:
That's simply not true. Apple has become a pop culture icon.... CNN actually had a "breaking news" ticker on the iPhone 4S announcement.

With multiple sources suggesting an iPhone 5 was coming, as recently as this week, that is what most of the headlines and stories predicted going into Tuesday. As a result, the "4S" is deemed a disappointment.

You try to argue that most people don't care about this stuff because they aren't as involved in the tech world back and forth debate and details... yet, its these people that are most impressionable by what they see on tv and in the news and who simply read headlines and make judgments.

The iPhone 4S will sell... of course it will... but I think it would have sold better and received better press reaction if Apple had done a better job at tempering expectations leading up to the announcement.

But what I'm saying is that Apple has no way of tempering expectations, short of just coming out and announcing what they're going to be releasing. Like I say, do you really think if Apple had slipped some info to the WSJ in the manner of the article you linked to there would have been some general consensus that that was the truth and then everyone would have settled down? And CNN would be running stories that talked about how the new iPhone was just what everyone expected, so all is well? Leaks can drum up enthusiasm, but they can't dampen unreasonable speculation.

And I still maintain that a passing mention on the news means nothing, and I still direct your attention to the iPad-- which had a ton of negative press of exactly this "America is disappoint" quality.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-05, 08:54

So much news, so many sites, so many networks, etc. all going 24/7. It overloads, and it doesn't take much for them to all jump on to the next thing. Man bites dog = "Apple disappoints with underwhelming release". It'll be a story for a few days. I don't think it'll be anything like the antenna thing from last summer, however.

For what it's worth, I've talked to five friends/relatives about this new iPhone since yesterday...three last night, two this morning (emails or phone calls). None of them have an iPhone. Four of them contacted me to ask about it. They like that free and $99 price. They love the Siri video demo. They like that it looks like mine (the one they're always playing with or using when I'm around them). None of them expressed any disappointment or displeasure, including the fact that the design remained the same. Not one. These aren't geeky tech types either. Most have just regular cell phones, with a lot of the keys and buttons and the slider design, so all this stuff is "cool and amazing" to them.

People, depending on how they see things, will either think something of it, or not.

Anyone can look and see that those were nice upgrades. If people are going to claim it's a downer or failed presentation, that Apple is losing their hold, etc. because the design stayed the same, there's really nothing that can be done or said about that.

Apple certainly can't rush out some sort of "we're sorry" rumor-matching 4-inch teardrop iPhone next week to satisfy all those people who bought into some rumors. That's all this stuff is, regardless of who reports it. You shouldn't really believe anything until it exists. That goes for lots of things. It's not Apple's fault that many chose to latch onto some mockups, or put their faith in the fact that a few Chinese firms produced thousands of cases for a design that didn't come to be. It's fun and neat to speculate and dream, but if you're basing purchase decisions on a pure "maybe", that's kinda on you (the person doing it), not Apple. I love this stuff, but I know better than to get wrapped up in rumors/speculation too much. You always have to temper it, consider the history or past approaches of the company in question, use your head, etc.

I don't base my wants or purchase plans on anything/anyone until the product is announced and exists. And then I go from there. That's kinda what you're supposed to do. I speculate and dream as much as anyone, but hell...that's all it is.

But I truly believe most people - regular people who don't obsess on specs, crawl around rumor sites and who only upgrade phones when/after their two-year commitments are up - will love this. There's nothing not to love...it's a steady, solid improvement on what's already a great-selling, popular device. I think the bulk of buyers will be people who currently have no iPhone at all (still a lot of them out there, including the five people above), and those coming off their two-year 3Gs contracts (or whose contracts ended two months ago and they've been waiting for Apple to announce something).

A week from now, if not sooner, nobody's going to care what the analysts and all were saying. The minute something else big or crazy happens, this "story" dies...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-10-05 at 09:16.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-05, 09:01

Quote:
It's not a tiny minority, and it is a PR issue. Whether it's a problem, I'm not so sure.

While Slashdot is hardly mainstream media, its "no wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame." comment on the original iPod was quite representative of the general press reaction, and even the reaction among many Mac rumor geeks: that, compared to the expectation that it would be the Newton, reborn, it was quite disappointing. That we really didn't want or need Apple to make an MP3 player. That its choice to make one was puzzling. And that reaction? It was completely wrong.

And yes, the general reception of the iPad as "just a big iPod touch" is another example. It's not an incorrect assertion at all, and yet it misses that a product is far more than the sum of its parts.

I don't expect the iPhone 4S to lead us to entirely new territory; its changes compared to the 4 aren't major enough. Unlike with the jump from the 3G to the 3GS, there was an imminent need, then to significantly improve performance (the 3GS brought with it an entirely new microarchitecture; many applications are now specifically compiled for it); there wasn't after the 4. But if anything, that confirms Apple's choice not to make a huge leap right now.

Sure, as far as specs are concerned, cellphones like the Samsung Galaxy S II are much faster. And yet, so far, iOS has been shown to be more efficient at running tasks than Android (as has Windows Phone!). The early reviews I've seen mirror this: in the real-world perception, everything is fluid.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 09:06

I found this post interesting:

Why Apple's Amazing Siri May Herald the End of the iPhone

Quote:
Ultimately, Apple faces a business model choice. It can continue to try to build handsets so amazing that they lead us to buy devices we didn’t think we needed. As the lack of an iPhone 5 announcement today showed, that is no small feat. Or, Apple can use its incredibly sticky services to bring new users into its franchise, gradually leading them to pay more money for software than they ever dreamed possible. The transition would not happen overnight — imagine the annoyance of people who just waited in line for 2 days to get the latest handset — but an eventual shift would open huge new markets for the company, making today’s colossus seem positively small.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-10-05, 09:17

Quote:
Yeah, the iPhone 4 was a total dud. Apple hardly sold any of them.

Oh, wait, the iPhone 4 is the best-selling phone in the world, six months running.

Quote:
...but I think it would have sold better and received better press reaction if Apple had done a better job at tempering expectations leading up to the announcement.
Surely you jest.

Apple didn't say anything about this years iPhone until a week ago, and when they did, they sent out a whopping three words. How is this not tempering expectations in the extreme? What else could Apple have possibly done to "temper expectations?" Tell everyone in June "hey guys try not to get too pumped about the next iPhone, it's gonna be a real stinker?"

If the media—mainstream and bloggers—wants to run amok spouting Apple rumors, you seriously expect Apple to call them up and say "hey guys, cool it?" How would that do anything but heighten expectations?

The best thing Apple can do to "temper expectations" is to remain completely silent... which is exactly what they did. Compare this to 90% of other tech companies: they toot their horn early, often, and way too loud, only to cut features and miss release dates. Perhaps they should be the ones tempering expectations.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-10-05 at 09:36.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-05, 09:27

Exactly. It's not Apple's job to contact and wag their fingers at rumor sites or people posting "this is the iPhone 5!!!" mockups. They're one of the few companies who seem to keep their head down, mouth shut and not fan the flames! They don't show up at CES and hype/crow about stuff 8-14 months out, pre-announce their entire year, etc. like a certain other company seems to do every year.

Their silence, while sometimes aggravating, is their best asset and protection. I prefer that approach.

It wouldn't be like them to issue dozens of press releases to respond to every half-assed rumor or alleged leak.

There was never any real, hard evidence for this larger-screen, teardrop iPhone. If people want to latch onto that, based on nothing real...how's that Apple's problem?

Everything remotely legit - software releases, premature website updates, store inventory tallies/placeholders, etc. - all referenced an "iPhone 4s". Anyone who halfway pays attention, then, should know, as in 2009, the "s" probably means an under-the-hood refresh to an existing design. That's the only thing that even crossed my mind when I kept seeing "4s" references..."they're going to give it the A5, I suppose? Probably tweak the camera and graphics a bit...they like this glass/metal band design and it seems popular."
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-05, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Surely you jest.

Apple didn't say anything about this years iPhone until a week ago, and when they did, they sent out a whopping three words. How is this not tempering expectations in the extreme? What else could Apple have possibly done to "temper expectations?" Tell everyone in June "hey guys try not to get too pumped about the next iPhone, it's gonna be a real stinker?"

If the media—mainstream and bloggers—wants to run amok spouting Apple rumors, you seriously expect Apple to call them up and say "hey guys, cool it?" How would that do anything but heighten expectations?

The best thing Apple can do to "temper expectations" is to remain completely silent... which is exactly what they did. Compare this to 90% of other tech companies: they toot their horn early, often, and way too loud, only to cut features and miss release dates. Perhaps they should be the one tempering expectations.
Did you not read any of the previous conversation?

Quote:
Exactly. It's not Apple's job to contact and wag their fingers at rumor sites or people posting "this is the iPhone 5!!!" mockups. They're one of the few companies who seem to keep their head down, mouth shut and not fan the flames! They don't show up at CES and hype/crow about stuff 8-14 months out, pre-announce their entire year, etc. Their silence, while sometimes aggravating, is their best asset and protection.
same question to you.

Quote:
It wouldn't be like them to issue 48 press releases to respond to every half-assed rumor or alleged leak.
no one ever suggested that is what they should do.

Quote:
There was never any real, hard evidence for this larger screen teardrop iPhone. If people want to latch onto that, based on nothing real...how's that Apple's problem?
of course there has been. its just not what was released.

Quote:
Everything remotely legit - software releases, premature website updates, store inventory tallies/placeholders, etc. - all referenced an "iPhone 4s". Anyone who halfway pays attention, then, should know that, as in 2009, the "s" probably means an under-the-hood refresh to an existing design. That's the only thing that ever crossed my mind when I kept seeing "4s" references..."they're going to give it the A5, I suppose? Probably tweak the camera and graphics a bit...".
I guess you are just a genius, and even your good buddy Robo is a fool for expecting an iPhone 5 right up until the announcement was made.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-05, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
What's with this way of thinking?

Quote:
Apple today may make two-third of the profits in the mobile handset industry, but Android has become a very credible challenger to the iPhone’s market share.
And:
Quote:
Even people who may shy from a pricey iPhone might be tempted to try an Apple service, and then pay to try it some more, and gradually become enmeshed in Apple’s world.
People who are too cheap to pay $200 for an iPhone are not going to be using software as a service and are not going to be a continual source of revenue for Apple. If Apple continues to make 2/3 of the profit from the industry while 10 others fight over the other 1/3, I think they'll be happy, regardless of their marketshare.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-05, 09:49

Quote:
your good buddy Robo
Seriously?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-05, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Yeah, the iPhone 4 was a total dud. Apple hardly sold any of them.

Oh, wait, the iPhone 4 is the best-selling phone in the world, six months running.
is your memory that short?

My point was that Apple NEEDED to respond to the bad PR.

The point others here are trying to make is that bad PR and media reaction doesn't matter, because it will sell either way.

Apple didn't see that true last year.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-05, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Seriously?
seriously what?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-05, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
They're one of the few companies who seem to keep their head down, mouth shut and not fan the flames!
"Beyond the rumor sites, way beyond!"
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-10-05, 09:56

Quote:
Did you not read any of the previous conversation?
What, the WSJ coincidence part? Because yes, I do think it's a coincidence. Conflicting rumors before an Apple event? Yeah, that's never happened before...

Or the part where you suggested that we should take everything that the WSJ says seriously, because Apple has used them for controlled leaks in the past? Which means that you are seriously suggesting that either:

1) The WSJ should seek Apple's approval before posting anything Apple related, so people know that the WSJ is a reliable Apple rumor source, or,
2) Apple should have asked the WSJ to pull the iPhone 5 piece because it wasn't accurate, which would inevitably be interpreted as Apple asked the WSJ to pull the piece because it was accurate?

The WSJ is going to print whatever they want to about Apple, and Apple isn't going to do anything about it. I'm honestly not sure why you are suggesting otherwise, seems like common sense to me.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-10-05, 09:59

Quote:

Dude, that was nearly 10 years ago. You should have gone with "The first 30 years were just the beginning," but, oh, wait, that one was accurate.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-05, 10:05

Quote:
I guess you are just a genius, and even your good buddy Robo is a fool for expecting an iPhone 5 right up until the announcement was made.
I'm not a "genius". Far from it. But I can put a couple of things together and assume, from prior events, that an "s" after the 4 probably means exactly what it did...same design with new, improved guts. Doesn't take a genius. Just someone who remembers the iPhone 3G -> 3Gs upgrade two summers ago. Yesterday was a similar thing. I don't know if it qualifies yet as any sort of pattern. We'll have two wait another couple of years to see...perhaps there's a major redesign, and the following year is an "s" upgrade where the case/design remains the same and the guts are improved? And then an all-new design the year after that.

Maybe. It let's them get the most use and bang-for-the-buck out of a design and manufacturing/packaging setup?

And I'm not really sure what Robo has to do with this? We're not talking about him here at all, or what he predicted/expected.

Yeah, I kinda know what you're doing there with that, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-10-05 at 10:19.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-05, 10:08

Quote:
Yeah, I remember that (the iMac G4?).

It kinda blew up in their face a bit. I remember them taking some heat for it, and getting some ridicule. Especially after the fact, when many were insufficiently blown-away and dazzled.

They haven't really done it much since, probably because of that very reason.

Maybe that "Redmond, start your photocopiers" could be considered a similar thing, but I think it was more of a saucy jab than outright self-bragging/hype.

A lot of people ragged on them for the "Beyond the rumor sites thing." I remember that.

That was 2002. I don't recall repeats of that the past 9-10 years, in any big way.

Maybe that was their "toe in the water" (either to see if that sort of approach fit them, or because they were so amped up about that iMac G4 "sunflower" design, they really wanted to build the hype), and they didn't like how it turned out?

I, for one, thought the iMac G4 design was pretty neat, but yeah...the ramp-up to that Macworld keynote was a departure for them with those website teasers. And I think it didn't turn out as big and dramatic as they'd hoped. They probably still cringe about it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-10-05 at 10:21.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-10-05, 10:08

Quote:
And yet Apple didn't change a thing about the iPhone 4. No recall, no silent update. And it still outsold every iPhone before it, combined. The whole thing was a bunch of hot air; the only reason Apple needed to respond to it was precisely because the media blew it out of proportion... the users, the actual people buying the phone, didn't care, and sales figures reflect that.

I don't think that the media event was necessary, Apple just wanted to shut everyone up, and if it has never happened I highly, highly doubt it would have affected sales. But barring a time machine I can't prove that; what I can prove is that the iPhone 4 is one of the most successful mobile phones in the history of mobile phones, antenna "issue" be damned.

I don't know how short your memory is, but after Apple "addressed" the antenna issue, the reaction was mostly the same: the antenna is flawed and Apple is full of shit. Haters gonna hate.

chucker

2011-10-05, 10:12

Quote:
seriously what?
This isn't some bar.

Quote:
is your memory that short?

The point others here are trying to make is that bad PR and media reaction doesn't matter, because it will sell either way.

Apple didn't see that true last year.
If the two are comparable, it's in that they're overblown. That said, Apple clearly felt that the antenna issues with the iPhone 4 were important enough to address in a press event. They don't feel that (or, thus far, haven't given us reason to believe they do) for the iPhone 4S. Because, after all, what is the issue? That it's not awesome enough?
Jason
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 10:17

Let's face it - This time next week it will have moved onto the iOS5 and iCloud and forums filling up with irate fanboys expressing their dismay that the roll-out didn't go smoothly.
chucker

2011-10-05, 10:18

Quote:
Yeah, I remember that (the iMac G4?).

[..]

A lot of people ragged on them for the "Beyond the rumor sites thing."

That was 2002. I don't recall repeats of that the past 9-10 years, in any big way.
Did any mainstream media even mention that? Sure, it was on their front page for a few days, but I doubt most people noticing it were average Apple customers.

Quote:
Maybe that was their "toe in the water" (either to see if that sort of approach fit them, or because they were so amped up about that iMac G4 "sunflower" design, they really wanted to build the hype), and they didn't like how it turned out?

I, for one, thought the iMac G4 design was pretty neat, but yeah...the ramp up to that Macworld keynote was a departure for them. And I think it didn't turn out as big and dramatic as they'd hoped?
Ultimately, as neat as it was, the iMac G4's design was too complex, too costly, and not sufficiently beneficial. By contrast, the iMac G5 was refreshingly simple.

It's odd, in retrospect, that Jobs would approve something so mechanically complicated. Wherever possible, his era of Apple liked to get rid of extension bays, battery bays, optical drives, and so on.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-10-05, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Well as I said, I can't do that in the office. I have to go outside to have a phone conversation, or presumably to use Siri. In the car, my phone is connected to my car's head unit via bluetooth and the phone itself is stored away under the armrest where the USB port is. I don't believe I'll be able to use Siri that way either.
My iPhone 4's voice command currently works with my bluetooth speaker in my car. I can't imagine Apple removing this feature (since it was only added in iOS4) but stranger things have happened. If this feature was removed, would we say it had been "Steved" or "Timmed"? When is the cutoff point?
Jason
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 10:28

Quote:
So much news, so many sites, so many networks, etc. all going 24/7.
Indeed. And so much of it utterly way off the mark.

"Facebook to Launch iPad App at Apple's iPhone 5 Event [EXCLUSIVE]" Nope. [Mashable]

"The design of the phone is set to radically change... there are strong indications that Apple will surprise a public that's expecting a bump more along the lines of the 3G to 3GS." Virtually identical to the old one. [This Is My Next]

"Apple... is aiming to launch by the end of September, said people familiar with the situation." (October.) "These people said the new iPhone is expected to be similar to the current iPhone 4, but thinner and lighter..." No change in width. Bit heavier. [WSJ]

"Sprint will be getting the iPhone 5 - yes the real iPhone 5, not the iPhone 4S - as an exclusive." (Sprint got the iPhone 4s as a non exclusive.) [Boy Genius Report]

"iPhone 5 Cases Suggest a Much Larger Device with a 4 inch Screen" [MacRumors]

"New iPhone 5 cases indicate a thinner but half inch wider and longer frame." [9to5 Mac]

"iPhone 5 to have radical new design according to Case-Mate images." [Boy Genius Report]

"Apple evolved the form of its flagship device. The iPhone 5... is just skinnier enough to make a fat difference... This [review]... is a little, uhm, hacked-together, but I'll bet you it's not going to differ significantly from the... reviews that come out next week." [Gizmodo]

There'll be multiple models of 'iPhones' because Al Gore said so! [The Next Web, Gawker]

"As iPhone 5 Launch Nears, an NFC Chip Looks Increasingly Likely" No NFC. [ReadWriteWeb]

"Services based on 'Near-Field Communication...' [are] due to be embedded in the next iteration of the iPhone... likely to be introduced this year." [Bloomberg, quoting top billed source]

"BGR has been given information from multiple Apple sources that could possibly sway the argument in favor of an imminent NFC-capable iPhone." Imminent! (No.) [Boy Genius Report]

"This Could Be What Apple's iPhone 5 Looks Like.... Assuming the leaked case designs are accurate, the iPhone 5 should be close in appearance to these renderings." Not a good assumption. [MacRumors]

"Is this the design for the upcoming iPhone 5? Probably. Maybe... We currently believe that the iPhone 5 will be thinner than the current generation, it'll also come with a larger 4 inch display." [Giga.de]

"The iPhone 5 Will Be Shaped Different From The iPhone 4." [iPhone5 Specs].

"What We're Expecting from the iPhone 5 — A New Design." You'd think blogs entirely devoted to the iPhone 5 would be more accurate. You'd be wrong. [iPhone 5 release]

All the above nothing but an attempt to drive traffic and advertising.