AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

flash rendering on safari - too slow

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
flash rendering on safari - too slow
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2005-12-16, 09:00

hello ppl,

hmm... i was wondering why when i go to a flash site using safari (e.g. www.swatch.com), my computer processor usage is 89% and ram usage is almost 100% ? i have a PB 1.33 Ghz, 1 GB ram and tiger 10.4.3 and yes i have latest softare updates and etc. I mean is there a better, faster browser than safari (not firefox or camino or opera, because i have bad experience with them, use too much of ram even when i don't do anything) that i could use? Let me know.

and yes i read this thread.... but didn't find anything useful. http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...t=flash+safari
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-16, 09:20

The problem isn't the browser; the problem is Flash itself. It's perfectly "normal" for any browser to be pegged at near-100% CPU usage when displaying a page with any Flash content. The Flash plugin for Mac simply isn't doesn't perform as well as its Windows counterpart. This has been a major complaint for, well, years.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2005-12-16, 14:31

so basically there is no solution ? this is awesome
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-16, 14:41

The solution is to deal with it, or stay off of flash heavy sites. I use some sites that are full of flash animations and other CUP intensive things, I just avoid doing other things while on those sites because I know I won't get much done because it'll be too slow.

Come waste your time with me
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-16, 14:49

If you aren't on Flash 8 yet, do update. It is newly-implemented using OpenGL and can thus be a lot faster on newer Macs.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-12-16, 14:50

When you say you "have latest softare updates and etc", does that include Flash Player version 8? If not get it here.

The only solution is to boycott sites that use Flash for no good reason (unfortunately, most of the web disappears with this solution).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-16, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
If you aren't on Flash 8 yet, do update. It is newly-implemented using OpenGL and can thus be a lot faster on newer Macs.
Macs that are how new? What kind of requirements are needed for OpenGL acceleration with Flash 8? I ask because I found no significant improvement after updating my PowerBook back when the updated plugin was released.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-16, 15:04

Supposedly, any Mac with Quartz Extreme. It isn't noticeably faster on my iBook though (which does have QE).
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2005-12-16, 19:33

well yeah i have flash 8 but still i don't think i see anything faster... but anyway let me get use to fact then. thanks for the replies.
Yochanan

2005-12-16, 19:45

Can I get an external Flash player? I've got a bunch of saved Flash presentations on my HD, will Flash 8 allow me to do this without opening Safari?