User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Conjunction Junction, what's your function...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Conjunction Junction, what's your function...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 10:56

One of the greatest bits of news EVER:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...n?id=123015257

I grew up on this stuff and, to this day, still remember most of the words. Cute, silly animation.

All us 30-somethings are in for a treat. Can't wait to see these again...it's been YEARS!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-02-15, 11:00

I can't see the link (can't install non-approved software at work), but I have the 4 CD set of SchoolHouse Rock and it really does bring back memories of youth. Listening to it now, there is some serious musicianship happening in these lessons.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-15, 11:00

My wife has a "SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK!" sticker on her guitar case. She'll love this.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-02-15, 11:06

I'm a bit too old, but I do remember it, especially "I'm Just a Bill"

a few years ago their was a rock compilation of artist doing the songs.....I know I have it around here somewhere.....

here it is

I remember the Blind Melon tune to be good

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 11:12

Yeah, I just saw it over at MacRumors.com and had to let everyone know.

I just watched a few previews at iTMS...holy cow, I'm four years old again! Those were often more enjoyable than the SuperFriends or Scooby Doo (the alleged reason I'd bounce out of bed at some insane hour every Saturday morning). You'd spend the rest of the day singing these songs. Talk about something "drilled into your brain"!

I love the animation style and graphics. And honestly, that stuff really served a purpose. Between those things and MAD magazine (movie satires and political spoofs), talk about a great education!

I definitely knew what a noun was, even as a newbie, barely five-years-old kindergarten student...

And I also knew what the severed horsehead in the bed meant in the "Godfather", and why Spiro Agnew got in trouble, thanks to MAD.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-15, 11:13

Damn, I thought this thread was Consumption Junction, and I was going to ask who the hell hacked Paul's account.

SKMDC

2006-02-15, 11:17

LOL

"I learned more from a three minute record, than I ever learned in school"

--Bruce--
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 11:21

It's true, in some ways.

Was reading at 3-4, etc. and - up until about the ninth grade, was in the advanced/"gifted" classes (reading and all were always two or so levels higher than my grade).

Yeah, I know...hard to believe, huh?

Of course, I discovered the guitar at 12 and my ensuing junior high and high school academic career took a bit of a nosedive...because, by then, I simply had to rock.

Curses!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Damn, I thought this thread was Consumption Junction, and I was going to ask who the hell hacked Paul's account.

Awww, I ain't that fat!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-15, 11:46

This is a 30-something?

I'm in my mid-twenties, and I still remember them; they sure as hell beat the commericals and had a lot of eye candy- kept my eyes glued to the set- that's for sure!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-15, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
This is a 30-something?
Originally conceived by Thomas G. Yohe in 1972, the shorts were broadcast on ABC television affiliates until 1986. They were then broadcast on occasion throughout the 1990s and part of the 2000s. - wikipedia

So, it's generally for anyone in their 0s, 10s, 20, and 30s. Oh, and their parents too, probably.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 12:02

Well, it was huge (and always on during Saturday cartoons) during my childhood (mid-70's), so, to me, it's "30-something" (I'm 37 now, was 4-8 during its glorious, 70's heyday).

YMMV. Or something like that.

I didn't know it was around until the mid-80's (I'd bailed on the Saturday morning cartoon thing by then). Interesting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-02-15, 12:10

Man, you've painted a very interesting picture of yourself, pscates.

First we have the whole metrosexual angle... now, you reveal that you enjoy "those campy seventies throwbacks that appeal to Generation X'ers" (as Lisa on The Simpsons put it).

Hehe.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 12:24

Metrosexual? Huh?

I don't think anyone would classify me with that term (if it's used in the popular, understood way).

And I "enjoy those campy 70's throwbacks" because I was in on it the first time around, and it's a neat childhood memory. So I come by it honestly.

Metrosexual? Me? Been called quite a few things, but never one so off and inaccurate...

Can you even be that with faded jeans, untucked flannel shirts, 2-3 day stubble and my choice of fine dining being a Subway tuna and a Dr. Pepper? I don't know, I'm asking...

If anything, I'm the "before" version, before the Queer Eye guys go to work and do their thing.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-02-15, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
One of the greatest bits of news EVER:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...n?id=123015257

I grew up on this stuff and, to this day, still remember most of the words. Cute, silly animation.

All us 30-somethings are in for a treat. Can't wait to see these again...it's been YEARS!

"I got three favorite cars that get most of my job done."

I bought the DVD last year...

"I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill."

That is my favorite I think

Mile 1
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 12:35

I always liked the Adverbs one a lot, but it never seemed to get played as much as some of the others (Nouns, I'm Just a Bill, The Shot Heard Around the World, etc.).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-02-15, 12:45

Really... I don't know, you always seemed to come off as perhaps having a metrosexual leaning. Guess I was way off.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-02-15, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
I'm a bit too old, but I do remember it, especially "I'm Just a Bill"

a few years ago their was a rock compilation of artist doing the songs.....I know I have it around here somewhere.....

here it is

I remember the Blind Melon tune to be good
"I'm Just A Bill" is actually a Randy Newman classic...

some of the best stuff on the Electric Company dates earlier and is a product of the brilliant brain of Tom Lehrer

L-Y and Silent E remain classics, but of course Lehrer is known for other gems like "The Elements Song", "The Vatican Rag", and "So Long Mom"

sadly a no-show on iTMS, but Amazon has some WMA clips, and the wikipedia page has links to some video and interviews as well as lyrics.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Really... I don't know, you always seemed to come off as perhaps having a metrosexual leaning. Guess I was way off.

Yeah, by about 475 miles or so!

I mean, I shower regularly and am always clean and smell nice...but I don't have an extensive collection of face and eye creams, charge cards to fancy clothing boutiques or an uppity wine collection and things of that sort.

And that's not me "engaging in stereotypes"...simply repeating what the various articles articles seem to frequently cite as specific traits or identifiers of the trend.

For crying out loud, I get $8 haircuts at the local "old man" barbershop because they do it in that cool 1930's "short on sides/back, longer on top" look I prefer and don't turn it into a big production.

"Bzzz, bzzzz...snip, snip...bzzzz...snip...okay, young feller, you're all done! See you next time."

SKMDC

2006-02-15, 13:12

I've always liked your 'do.
It's kind of modern but has a 50's feel to it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 13:16

Ha...you should see it now! I've discovered the joys of Bumble & Bumble texturizing pomade...

Okay, that sounds a bit metrosexual...

"I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill...and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill..."

*whistles* and tries desperately to lurch thread back on topic with everything I got...

SKMDC

2006-02-15, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
"I'm Just A Bill" is actually a Randy Newman classic...
Dave Frishberg wrote "I'm Just a Bill"

Bob Dorough wrote most everything else, Lynn Ahrens and George Newell each wrote a couple as well.

I was too old for Electric Company and Sesame Street, my cartoon enjoyment was Warner Cartoons saturday morning and local television (Captain Ernie's Cartoon Showboat) in the afternoon which was usually Popeye & 3 Stooges (I'm a remarkably peace loving guy for someone raised on such violence) other stuff on Saturday morning was Sky King and Roy Rogers.

I remember feeling sorry for my sister watching crap like Scooby Doo, The Archies & Josie & the Pussycats, even as a teenager I thought it was unwatchable. It was like all the Hanna-Barbara stuff that competed with Warner toons. I could really tell that Bugs and the gang were far more clever that Fred Flintstone.

I never saw Sesame Street until I had kids, and I have never ever seen Electric Company, which amazes my wife.

I do remember watching these little music ditty's (they were shown at the end of the hour, right?) and thinking "well maybe my sister will have a chance..."

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 13:44

I always loved "The Electric Company" over "Sesame Street". Just always seemed earthier and cooler somehow, and not as hokey (less puppets, maybe?).

And, for goodness sake, it had Morgan Freeman as Easy Reader.

He was cool before we knew he was cool!

And Rita Moreno was a cast member too. And Spiderman episodes...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-02-15, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Dave Frishberg wrote "I'm Just a Bill"

Bob Dorough wrote most everything else, Lynn Ahrens and George Newell each wrote a couple as well.
Writers of class, definitely...

OOPS... just checked here... looks like Jack Sheldon on vocals on "I'm Just a Bill"...

Lehrer's Electric Company tracks are all his, though.

Unless you're talking about the modern covers... Schoolhouse Rock Rocks!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-15, 16:55

Just by the DVD special collector's edition of School House Rock. Much better, has all the episodes in 5.1 and alternates, music only, and is less money.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-16, 00:29

Am I able to put it on my iPod? Via some converter utility thing, I guess..
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-02-16, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I always loved "The Electric Company" over "Sesame Street". Just always seemed earthier and cooler somehow, and not as hokey (less puppets, maybe?).
I just noticed this the other day...

Though given current trends, it's not surprising.