User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook Pro Revision D?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pro Revision D?
Hercules

2006-04-04, 10:48

I want to wait for this revision so Apple fixes up the little problems that the Macbook has... After reading that Acer and Apple are teaming up for releasing the Macbook (non pro) in July... I've decided I don't want to wait that long. Any ideas on this are appreciated, as I'm ready to buy it today but I don't know if I'll get Revision D.

Also for anybody that knows... how does Apple's financing work? I want to buy the new Powerbook on a payment plan, instead of laying out $2000 for it. Also, what do you need to do to get the student discount? I have my student ID and if I walk into the Mac store, is that enough? Appreciate any info!

Last edited by Hercules : 2006-04-04 at 10:56.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 11:05

Yes, you just need to show them your student ID. At least, that's all I had to do.

As for the Rev. D motherboard, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you get a pre-Rev. D motherboard and stuff starts acting up, it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.
Hercules

2006-04-04, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Yes, you just need to show them your student ID. At least, that's all I had to do.

As for the Rev. D motherboard, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you get a pre-Rev. D motherboard and stuff starts acting up, it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.
Thanks for the help. I think I will go down to the Apple store and pick it up today
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-04-04, 11:14

I believe the Revision D MacBooks have a serial number starting with W8612. It sounds like Apple knows that they are in trouble with the earlier versions... and haven't been hesitating to fulfill requests like that at the stores. But, this also means that they are rather accommodating regarding exchanges, too.
rcs

2006-04-04, 13:06

Yes..it is.

From deily tech news, they said that rev D motherboard will begin with W8611. But apple already shipping rev D with W8612 sn

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1584
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-04, 13:23

W8612 is Rev E.
mwe

2006-04-04, 14:10

Mine is W8612. I'm beginning to love this thing more and more every minute. It runs much cooler than my old PB G3 and the battery life is excellent. The bottom is only lukewarm although I've been sitting with this in my lap for hours now.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-04-04, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit

I had to show photo ID as well as a student ID. I thought that was weird since my student ID had my photo on it as well, but I wasn't going to object since they were giving me a $300 discount at the time.

What is all this Rev D stuff? Did I miss a release or something?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-04, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Internal motherboard revisions. They're up to Rev E now. Specs are the same.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-04-04, 14:48

yeah, the later the revision is, the more that is fixed. and usually the cheaper the parts.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-04, 14:59

Man, you don't read any Mac articles for a couple of weeks, then suddenly the new laptop motherboard is on friggin' rev e. Wow.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
I had to show photo ID as well as a student ID. I thought that was weird since my student ID had my photo on it as well, but I wasn't going to object since they were giving me a $300 discount at the time.

They were okay with just my student ID. As I was looking for it, they said they'd accept just about anything that proves you're in college. They mentioned a transcript, schedule, acceptance letter, etc. as working. For any of those, you'd almost certainly need a Photo ID.
tacvbo83

2006-04-04, 16:01

I read somewhere that I can send my MBP back if it gets hot enough that it does not feel comfortable using it. I forgot the link but does anybody know about this? It works great except the temperature gets extremely hot and the whinning noise that gets solved with PhotoBooth.
kosmicki

2006-04-05, 10:54

I just got my invoice, it says my serial number starts with W8614.

Unless I have a revision G coming next week, I don't think this system makes much sense.

Not complaining though, higher number means a newer unit. Better odds of a perfectly working one.

Edit: Over at macrumors they said the last two digits (14 in my case) is the Week it was built. Which makes sense, I ordered mine on Sunday, and this is the 14th week of the year.

Last edited by kosmicki : 2006-04-05 at 13:05.
lectro

2006-04-05, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmicki
...higher number means a newer unit. Better odds of a perfectly working one...
Unless they break something while fixing something else.
davidfalling

2006-04-06, 00:55

mine is a w8612 and it get rediculously hot. like 3rd degree burns hot! haha. but seriously its almost too hot to want to touch with your hand.
kosmicki

2006-04-06, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectro
Unless they break something while fixing something else.
Quite true. But my hope is that while fixing all the other notebooks, they have gotten better at it.

On a side note. My MBP is on the local FedEx truck! Yeehaw! Only... 9 hours till I get home.
autodata
hustlin

2006-04-06, 12:42

Just from looking at reports on various forums, it seems that this whole "revision B, C, etc" thing and the "Apple is making better MacBooks" reports are largely false. They apparently have resolved the display-related whine, but people getting new MacBooks seem to have all of the other problems. Feel free to prove otherwise (I'd like incentive to get one), but there are many reports of people getting brand-new machines with whine, heat, etc.

Last edited by autodata : 2006-04-06 at 13:06.
kosmicki

2006-04-07, 12:56

I've been using my brand spankin' new MBP (W8614) for about a day now.

So far, it seems to be perfect. The screen is dark all the way around. In fact the best LCD I've ever used. I don't hear any whining or anything. Yeah, it gets hot. Hotter then I thought it would, but it seems fine. All the keys are nice and straight, and even the lid closes evenly. If the screen was not on, I could not tell if it was running or not. Super quiet.

Day 1 report: Thumbs up!

grommit

2006-04-07, 19:48

hey Kosmicki, what model did you get? 1.83, 2.00 or 2.16? Additional RAM? Thanks. Got mine today W8614 too and works great...
kosmicki

2006-04-07, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommit
hey Kosmicki, what model did you get? 1.83, 2.00 or 2.16? Additional RAM? Thanks. Got mine today W8614 too and works great...

I ordered a 2.00 with the 7200 RPM drive. And I've been using it all day and it's still just super.
mwe

2006-04-07, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmicki
Yeah, it gets hot. Hotter then I thought it would, but it seems fine.
Resetting the PMU and calibrating the battery seems to help against the heat issue.