User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Why I ordered a Mac mini.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why I ordered a Mac mini.
bconneen

2005-01-12, 16:45

Well yesterday after reading the news reports, and hearing about the Mac mini, I went to apple.com and ordered one. I've been a PC user for 10 years. I use some Linux and Unix at work, but I've been on the fence about ordering a Mac for about 12 months. I've always liked Macs, but never bought one before. About 1 month ago I almost bought one of the new iMacs but couldn't justify the price.

So I see the anouncement yesterday. Look at the size of the thing. See my spare LCD, and a couple extra keyboards and mice laying around. And... voila, I've placed an order.

I got th 1.42 GHz one
Made it 512MB of Ram
Got the Superdrive.
Got the Airport Express and Bluetooth options.

So what exactly does this mean? What will I be using my new Mac for. Well I already have an Ipod. I have a Digital Camera, and I have a Sony DV Camcorder.

So right now I'm leaning towards using the Mac mini as my all in one media station. Keeping all of my photos on it. Keeping my music and Itunes on it. Using it for editing any movies I take with the Camcorder. Etc. Making slideshows and burning them to dvd etc. Maybe hook my Canon Scanner up to it. It's so small, that I might actually get a USB/DVI KVM switch and use it on my primary monitor.

Will I be abandoning my primary PC for it? Probably not, but give me a couple of months and you never know.

Conneen

Last edited by bconneen : 2005-01-12 at 16:54. Reason: spelling
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-01-12, 16:49

welcome....

your pc will see less and less use i promise....

that mac mini will be perfect for all the things you want to do
and once you use iMovie and iDVD you will make all your PC friends insane with jealously

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-01-12, 17:04

Hi Conneen. Welcome to Applenova. Nice post!
spiff

Send a message via AIM to spiff  
2005-01-12, 17:27

I have a feeling Apple is going to sell a boat load of these and we're going to see an increase in market share.
nomorewindows

2005-01-12, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconneen

Will I be abandoning my primary PC for it? Probably not, but give me a couple of months and you never know.

Conneen
Conneen, I've had my PowerBook G4 for about a month now. Left my PC up "just in case." I haven't touched the thing in serveral weeks. As soon as I bother to figure out where Mov2Mac put all my stuff on the PB, I'll donate the PC. I am a complete convert. Don't be surprised if your PC just ends up collecting dust.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-01-13, 01:07

Well welcome to the mac fold, we don't bite, really! Enjoy your first mac, don't let your PC using friends mess with your head, have fun, and it something goes wrong... well we are here to help just in case

Good Luck!

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
Igorot Warrior

2005-01-17, 17:02

The Mini Mac is cool.....I'm thinking of getting it (I have a 1st gen G4 tower - 400mhz)...but I have been saving up for the iMac the last couple of months....so I'm not sure. If I don't get the iMac...then I could use the extra money for a DV cam.

It would be awesome if Apple could get their market share up towards 6 or 8 percent by year's end (instead of the 3 percent they have now).

"War just in the ring...peace on Earth" - Vanderlei Silva
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-17, 18:07

Quote:
Well yesterday after reading the news reports, and hearing about the Mac mini, I went to apple.com and ordered one. I've been a PC user for 10 years. I use some Linux and Unix at work, but I've been on the fence about ordering a Mac for about 12 months. I've always liked Macs, but never bought one before. About 1 month ago I almost bought one of the new iMacs but couldn't justify the price.

So I see the anouncement yesterday. Look at the size of the thing. See my spare LCD, and a couple extra keyboards and mice laying around. And... voila, I've placed an order.

I got th 1.42 GHz one
Made it 512MB of Ram
Got the Superdrive.

So what exactly does this mean? What will I be using my new Mac for. Well I already have an Ipod. I have a Digital Camera, and I have a Sony DV Camcorder.

So right now I'm leaning towards using the Mac mini as my all in one media station. Keeping all of my photos on it. Keeping my music and Itunes on it. Using it for editing any movies I take with the Camcorder. Etc. Making slideshows and burning them to dvd etc. Maybe hook my Canon Scanner up to it. It's so small, that I might actually get a USB/DVI KVM switch and use it on my primary monitor.

Conneen
Welcome to the fold Conneen - methinks your life has just changed for the better
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-17, 19:55

Quote:

I got th 1.42 GHz one
Made it 512MB of Ram
Got the Superdrive.

Conneen
I'm gonna make sure this is posted just one more time. This people, this is what the Mac mini is all about...

- Prior interest in Apple/Macs... check
- iPod user... check
- Creative digital user interested especially in iPhoto/iTunes... check
- Pays to upgrade from base model... check
- BYODKM... check
- Willing to use a KVM with primary PC... check
- Switcher...? ... Just wait...

Welcome to AN bconneen. Sorry if I tried to push you into too much of a stereotype, didn't mean to cause offence—but I really think that Apple was going after people just like you. I wish my brother was as open minded. Yeesh, if he threw some of his disposable income Apple's way, between us we would be swimming in gorgeous Apple hardware and software.

It would be great if you would stick around and give your impressions as a switcher. Cheers.

bouncy bouncy
MacMan55

2005-01-18, 03:03

The Mac Minis look awesome! I love macs, and smaller is always better! I cant wait to get my mini in the mail!

I got mine for free... you should try it out too.

Just click here: LINK REMOVED

Last edited by Luca : 2005-01-18 at 03:52.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-01-18, 03:35

As a less than recent PC switcher I can tell you that you're in for a lot of fun...

Congrats on the new purchase (and make sure to document the package opening).

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
bearsclover

2005-01-18, 03:38

Yeah, whatever MacMan55

bconneen, welcome! You may find yourself in my situation—you still have the PC, you still use it sometimes, but it's like you're "visiting" it—it's not really your computer, it's just this thing that you have to start up once in a while to get something done. I know that in my case, as soon as I'm done doing whatever I need to do in the PC I switch right back to the Mac, to my computer "home," and I stay there.

Give yourself time to adjust, though. I find myself saying this a lot on various Mac message boards lately, because so many people are taking the plunge with the Mini. I remember when I got my first Mac, it did take a little time. Not that it was hard, but things are different. It takes a little time to soak it all in.

You'll find that the Mac community is very enthusiastic and helpful. Just let us know if you have any questions or problems, and we'll be here to help you out. And once again, welcome!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-18, 03:56

MacMan, consider this your first and only warning. Do not post links to any of the free Mac mini pyramid schemes. We realize they exist, we realize that it's actually possible to get a free Mac mini through them, and we don't want people spamming the forums posting referral links. Find referrers elsewhere.
Paranoid666au

2005-01-18, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
MacMan, consider this your first and only warning. Do not post links to any of the free Mac mini pyramid schemes. We realize they exist, we realize that it's actually possible to get a free Mac mini through them, and we don't want people spamming the forums posting referral links. Find referrers elsewhere.
So how do you do that, get 500 other people signed up.