User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Does Leopard have Resolution Independence?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does Leopard have Resolution Independence?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
JK47

2007-10-17, 21:04

The Leopard Technology Series states that:
Quote:
In Leopard, the system will be able to draw user interface elements using a scale factor. This will let the user interface maintain the same physical size while gaining resolution and crispness from high dpi displays.
However, resolution independence is not amongst the 300 new features, nor is it listed in the technology portion of the Leopard page.

Does anyone have a concrete answer?
MSFT

2007-10-17, 22:02

It is my belief that it was originally going to be shipped in 10.5, but they later decided to either not ship it at all or ship it with an update (eg 10.5.1, etc...). Not really sure.
duyvan82

2007-10-18, 05:22

It looks like they have dropped it altogether
they have actually dropped quite a few cool features. I remember they were saying Bootcamp would allow instant OS switching at first but then they decided to pull it off later on :/
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-18, 05:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by duyvan82 View Post
It looks like they have dropped it altogether
The UI elements are resolution-independent; there merely isn't a UI at this point to let the user scale it.

Quote:
I remember they were saying Bootcamp would allow instant OS switching at first but then they decided to pull it off later on :/
Boot Camp does have a special Switch to Mac OS command.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-18, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The UI elements are resolution-independent; there merely isn't a UI at this point to let the user scale it.
What about the magnification function (part of Accessibility)? Does that still just magnify the pixels, or does it render the UI on a different scale?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-18, 07:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
What about the magnification function (part of Accessibility)? Does that still just magnify the pixels, or does it render the UI on a different scale?
I don't know. I'm obviously hoping it's the latter, but I don't believe so.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-10-18, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Boot Camp does have a special Switch to Mac OS command.
When the Leopard Web site first went live, there was a mention on the Boot Camp page of a feature where you could put one OS to sleep and restart in the other. The implication, of course, would be much faster switching between OS X and Windows. Rather than starting from a cold boot every time, you would just wake from sleep. I believe that is what he was referring to.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-18, 07:52

I don't see the contradiction. The "Switch to Mac OS" function in Boot Camp could do exactly that.
chucker

2007-10-18, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
I don't see the contradiction. The "Switch to Mac OS" function in Boot Camp could do exactly that.
I'm not sure a "Switch to Windows" exists at this point, however.

(I'm afraid I can't check right now.)
duyvan82

2007-10-18, 08:18

The current switch to Mac OS that is in Bootcamp beta isn't quite the same as what was promised last June (at WWDC). Steve was saying that the new feature would allow booting Windows while putting mac osx into sleep mode which would make it significantly faster to switch between the 2 OSes. That feature was removed from the Bootcamp's website... You could have a look at those rumour sites, I'm sure they still have those articles
chris e boy

2007-10-18, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by duyvan82 View Post
The current switch to Mac OS that is in Bootcamp beta isn't quite the same as what was promised last June (at WWDC). Steve was saying that the new feature would allow booting Windows while putting mac osx into sleep mode which would make it significantly faster to switch between the 2 OSes. That feature was removed from the Bootcamp's website... You could have a look at those rumour sites, I'm sure they still have those articles
Steve never said that, it was posted on the Apple website shortly after the keynote and taken down shortly after that.

On the Resolution Independence front, i'm pretty sure that it can be used on a per application basis, since all the OS widgets and frameworks are in place. Any developers want to chirp in on this one, or is the big bad NDA still in place 'til next week?
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-10-19, 01:05

I remember a blurb from Apple telling developers to be ready for Resolution Independence in 2008 which means I think they turn it on in a future 10.5.x update.

omgwtfbbq
chucker

2007-10-19, 01:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
I remember a blurb from Apple telling developers to be ready for Resolution Independence in 2008
Yup.

Quote:
which means I think they turn it on in a future 10.5.x update.
That, and it probably means they're planning to introduce monitors in the 150 ppi and beyond range around mid- to late-2008.

For the current screens, it really isn't that big of a deal anyway.

As I said, though, the UI widgets have already all been rewritten to be scalable. (You can see this in slight differences in the detail.)
tsa

2007-10-23, 00:41

It is a big deal if you connect a TV to your laptop and suddenly all your windows fly everywhere. Resolution independance would solve that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 00:53

Yes, but unfortunately it wouldn't solve being able to see the content... a TV (NTSC) is what, 640x480, roughly speaking? You'd get RI, alright, but the result would be big blobs of blurry blotches. RI is *great* moving to higher-resolution devices, but it creates an impressionistic painting on moving to lower-rez displays.
tsa

2007-10-23, 02:16

Certainly, but that can be solved with the fantastic zoo-in option
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-10-23, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Certainly, but that can be solved with the fantastic zoo-in option
How would animals solve anything?!

I'm hoping for fast boot camp switching at some point with a .x upgrade, but I'm afraid Apple may be worried about killing parallels.

Also I like the idea of having higher resolution monitors, the idea of moving toward print quality is always a good step. Does anyone know how windows rendered fonts look like on high resolution monitors? Since it works harder for the pixel grid, I'd figure it would actually be harder to read than something like Apples which will appear even more like printed text.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-10-23, 08:29

My understanding is that the stuff for resolution independence is mostly there, but there are lingering bugs, and without serious need for it yet, it's basically turned off. Most of the elements are becoming vector elements, but the full implementation has not arrived.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-10-23, 09:57

Yeah... TrueType will still look like it evolved from the pixel-grid primordial ooze.

Postscript will lurve resolution independent displays.

Yay for NeXT Display PostScript revival!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 11:24

I am a bit disappointed with the fact that resolution independence will not be a part of Leopard in its the initial release. Previous information indicated that it it would be. In light of previous discussions on this board, I am not surprised that Apple has not been fully able to achieve this, but I am still a bit disappointed.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
chucker

2007-10-23, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
I am a bit disappointed with the fact that resolution independence will not be a part of Leopard in its the initial release. Previous information indicated that it it would be. In light of previous discussions on this board, I am not surprised that Apple has not been fully able to achieve this, but I am still a bit disappointed.
Considering there aren't any mainstream displays where resolution independence is particularly useful, I think Apple has plenty of time left. I'd rather see them get it right than rush it.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 11:39

I've recently worked with a hirez 17" MacBook Pro (1920) and I dare say that resolution independence would be a nice thing to have on that particular screen.
siddhartha

2007-10-23, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
How would animals solve anything?!

I'm hoping for fast boot camp switching at some point with a .x upgrade, but I'm afraid Apple may be worried about killing parallels.

Also I like the idea of having higher resolution monitors, the idea of moving toward print quality is always a good step. Does anyone know how windows rendered fonts look like on high resolution monitors? Since it works harder for the pixel grid, I'd figure it would actually be harder to read than something like Apples which will appear even more like printed text.
Can we please leave the animals out of this?

They have problems enough as it is
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 11:54

My 17" MBP with the hi-rez display is awfully difficult to see when displaying print. Either that or my > 50 year old eye-balls are hardening.

naw, that can't be it!

I figure that there will be some solution in Leopard though, even if it's not a full featured resolution independent interface.

There's NO place like home... there's NO place like home...

Are we there yet?
Partial
Stallion

2007-10-23, 13:16

I thought this was supposed to be the shining achievement of Leopard.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-10-23, 13:39

According to whom?
Partial
Stallion

2007-10-23, 13:52

Word on the street.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 15:03

The problem with the word on the street, is that the street is generally populated by nincompoops.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
The problem with the word on the street, is that the street is generally populated by nincompoops.
I think in that case someone needs to move to a better neighborhood.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-23, 15:35

And with "the street", tensdanny probably referred to websites like this one here ...