Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone: How to Get Ready?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone: How to Get Ready?
Wraven

2007-10-23, 13:03

Hello All,

OK, so I've left my job at Verizon (worked there for 7 years), have ordered my iPhone, and it will be here tomorrow. I've taken all my contacts from my old Verizon phones, and have made contacts out of them in my Address Book on my Mac. I've also beefed up my iCal calendars, and have organized a couple of iPhoto albums and iTunes playlists. I also have .mac and am getting iLife '08 tomorrow with my iPhone to take advantage of the .mac Web Gallery feature. Lastly, I have read all 124 pages of the iPhone user guide.

So my question is, is there anything you recommend me doing, on top of what I have already done? I can't wait to be rid of my shitty Verizon phone (though the network is pretty damned good). Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Cheers,
Wraven
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 13:16

Wait for rev B.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 13:24

Sounds like you're as ready as you can be. Enjoy it.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 14:13

Darn, quitting your job because of a phone... I think you need to switch to decaf.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-23, 14:19

Sounds like you're there, Wraven. You've done all the exact things I did...prep and/or update my Address Book and iCal, create an iPhone-specific playlist in iTunes with ~1GB of my favorite songs and artists, think about which iPhoto album(s) you'd like to have, etc. Like you, I read all the online stuff and watched all those intro videos and "finger tips" clips so I could "hit the ground running".

You sound like you're all ready to go! Enjoy.

The one thing you didn't mention was Safari bookmarks. I took the opportunity, before getting my iPhone, to go through and clean up, declutter, trash, organize, etc. my bookmarks a bit better, as well as making an iPhone-specific folder of various third-party iPhone web apps so I can just go to that folder for movie times, sports, radar weather, etc.

You might want to make sure your Safari bookmarks are clean and tight, because they'll sync over to the phone too and you may as well have them as lean and mean as you can.
Wraven

2007-10-23, 15:04

Paul,
Thanks for the tip on the bookmarks. Mine are pretty much ready to go (though I do need to go cruisin' for some good iPhone web apps). I also pre-ordered The Complete Led Zeppelin and Ratatouille for some rockin' and Pixar action (I've purchased every other Pixar movie and short over the last few years on the iTS - yes I know, I am addicted).

Taskiss,
No I didn't quit Verizon because of the iPhone .

I recently finished grad school, and found a more fulfilling position (career advancement-wise, pay-wise, the whole she-bang). So I just figured now was the time to make the "clean break". My contract with Verizon wasn't up until January, but I used what little clout I had with some VerizonWireless coworkers to have them change the end date to October 24th . Combined with a deep discount from a friend of mine who works for Apple Corporate, I'm a good $350 ahead on my iPhone / Verizon contract termination / Leopard / iLife '08 purchase extravaganza (not bragging, just happy). It's not what you know, it's who.

I can't wait to see what February and it's native iPhone SDK brings in the way of sweet apps.

Cheers,
Wraven