AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

WTF Things You Found On the Interwebs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WTF Things You Found On the Interwebs
Page 50 of 53 First Previous 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53  Next Thread Tools
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-12-10, 15:05

Well, I've read one opinion on the net which suggested that Mandela himself might have thought it would be funny. Personally, I wouldn't have done it, but I also can't help my shadenfreude when my PM makes an ass of herself in public.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-12-10, 15:11

I wouldn't have done it either, regardless of politics or who you're a fan of or not. It's not that type of an event.

And I don't doubt that someone, somewhere, in the interest of defending certain public figures, would go out of their way to say that Mandela would've dug it/approved. My level of surprise = absolutely zero. Does her last name start with an "A", by chance?

But seriously...there's a time to carry on like 15-year-old girls at an amusement park. This probably isn't one.

I'm aware that it was more of a "celebration" type event, in a stadium (vs. a somber church funeral setting). But still. It would feel odd to me. Maybe afterwards, maybe somewhere else. I don't know. I know that I don't want my funeral to be some morbid, blubbering affair. Yet, I still wouldn't want people sitting around taking selfies and acting goofy either, and having it be about them (and their Instagram/Twitter post). It's my day, I'm the one lying here all dead and stuff! Focus, people!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-12-10, 16:20

Looks like W and Bono also did something along the same lines.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-12-10, 17:31

I don't know Paul, if the environment was a cheerful, happy one, instead of somber and quiet, I am not sure I wouldn't have been tempted to snap photos of friends having a good time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-12-10, 18:16

That's why I added what I did to the above. It wasn't a full-on "funeral" like the type I'm accustomed to (and can't stand). If everyone's doing it, and nobody's being singled-out for "breaking protocol" (or bringing shame to their country), then I guess it's okay.

It would just depend on the situation, and the general vibe, as to whether I'd feel right about it. I still don't look at such a thing, joyous and celebratory as it may have been, as "Old Folks Days & Good Time Jamboree Hour", so I'd probably err on the side of not making it about me and my friends (even famous ones, if I had any) snapping pics for our InstaTwit galleries...just doesn't seem to be the place. But I'm kinda traditional and old-school on this sort of stuff, even if it was a joyous/celebratory tone. I'd just kinda be there, in the moment, and not treating it like social hour or an after-party.

I'd be 100% okay with keeping the phone turned off and tucked away in my pocket for a few hours.

Again, just to err on the side of not being inappropriately self-centered, scene-making or disrespectful. I figure in a situation like this, I'm not going to make waves or news by refraining from snapping pics. If others want to be scrutinized and questioned for their decision to do so, have at it.

But I swear to God, if I wake up tomorrow and see a headline anywhere referring to "SnapGate" or "InstaGate" or anything like that, I totally give up. And I'll probably just pack a bag and go find an island to live on, officially giving up on the human race...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-12-10 at 23:32.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-12-11, 16:25

I read in todays newspaper (local danish dead tree edition) that the press photographer who took the picture of the selfie thought it was acceptable behaviour in the context. It was after Obama had given his speech, two hours into the celebration and the general mood was upbeat. He explained that he had taken some 300 pictures at the event and was very surprised that this was the one that went viral.

So while my PM wasn't an ass this time anyway, I can still laugh at the picture, which I find genuinely funny.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-12-12, 11:36

So, between SelfieGate and this sign language guy's "creative" technique, is anything about this memorial service being viewed/remembered for the right reasons? The only thing missing at this point would've been a juggler accidentally setting his own hair on fire.

I'm out of the loop and just learned about the interpreter (SignGate, if you will...) this morning. As with everything else, everyone chooses a side and argues about the details.

Screw all that. What I want to know, from any deaf or signing-savvy AN'ers, was this guy making any sense or not? That's all that matters, and the only question worth asking.

Was his performance/method merely "unorthodox" but still conveyed the speakers' words...OR was he up there signing like I would be (I know exactly two words) and just randomly flailing about for a few hours?

I suspect the latter, because there wouldn't be such an outcry otherwise.

He was there on live TV for 3-4 hours to the entire planet, just moving his hands and actually "saying" nothing?!? How come he wasn't pulled away after it became apparent he was signing in Klingon?

That has to be the greatest troll/prank EVER. Suddenly, streaking during the Olympics opening ceremonies sounds like lightweight child's play. It'll be a long time before someone tops that!

Extra points for the high-profile/visibility factor, in plying your trade mere feet away from world leaders (if this had happened at a Des Moines Chamber of Commerce meeting, it wouldn't have nearly the impact).

Did this guy just play everyone? Was he using an African-based dialect or method? Was he possessed? Did he just pull off the biggest "gotcha!" ever?

Was he vetted/tested beforehand? Did he have credentials? Or do they just hire on-the-spot for such services? Could I have shown up that day, wearing a suit, and talked myself into the gig?

What's the true story on this guy?

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-12-12, 12:27

This is the great challenge Africa, all of Africa, faces: if you wear the right suit and know the right person you can get the best job going.

I mean, it’s a problem everywhere, but in Africa it’s taken to brazen new heights.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-12-12, 13:31

Really? So he truly is a sham and not signing in any known, understood format?

I was making allowances, thinking "well, maybe it's different in African sign language and all the people getting stirred up are looking at it from the U.S./Western approach and failing to take that into account".

But I guess this guy is just a friend of a friend who knew a guy who knew a guy?

Damn.

Should the Secret Service be a little concerned here?

If that's the case, and this guy is totally unqualified and just landed the gig by who-knows-what means...that also means there's a super good chance he wasn't properly checked out (otherwise someone would've said "this guy doesn't know sign language of any sort...we can't put him on planet-wide TV tomorrow, standing next to all these world leaders!"

I see a huge security/safety risk.

Something is fishy/stupid...either he was vetted/checked out and deemed okay to stand next to presidents and world leaders on live TV (but they also should've known he doesn't know what the hell he's doing, so that should've taken precedent over trying to appear "inclusive" or whatever)...OR they didn't know he was a complete hack/sham because they did absolutely no vetting or checking, but that also meant he stood feet away from world leaders for hours.

Whichever one of those is the case, they're both bad/wrong!

This guy shouldn't have had the gig if he were thoroughly inspected. And the fact he did get it automatically means he wasn't. Which, to me, means a huge lapse in security. Somebody - or several somebodies - dropped the ball.

I was joking earlier about me showing up and angling for the gig. But, hell...I guess that's not too far out of a notion. If something had happened to any of the speakers...man.

I've worked in government, on military installations. And I've been present during a few presidential visits back in the 90's and early 2000's. They don't play around, or take anything for granted! Believe that.

I guess "when in Rome"?

"Well, we'd be a little more stringent about all this back in the States. But we're not in the States, so whoever the hell you guys want to put on stage next to the U.S. President, go right ahead...".

There's your diplomacy/protocol silliness taken to the nuttiest extreme.

"We don't want to offend our hosts, so we'll just risk everyone's safety/security because it's not our place to dig too deep on some of these on-stage participants...".

Is that kinda what happened here? That would not happen here in the States, or the UK or other places. I know this for a fact. They don't let just anyone get that close, or granted such access.

I think some heads are gonna roll before it's all over. Serious breach of security protocol/standards, if you ask me. That could've been anyone standing there, apparently (knowing sign language obviously wasn't a requirement ).

Halfway into it, if he produced a weapon and lunged at one of the speakers...my God, can you imagine the fallout from that?!

And it's not enough to say "well, it was a funeral/memorial service...which, by their very nature, have to come together quickly...there wasn't time...".

Uh, no. This was a service for a 95-year-old man who's been quite ill for some time. His death should come as no shock or surprise to anyone in the upper levels who are responsible for these sort of events. You know there are plans in place for the unexpected, sudden death of high-profile world leaders. There has to be. You don't throw these things together "the day before", and just letting anyone wander in. Woodstock actually had some planning and upfront work involved, despite all appearances to the contrary.

Again, that means either this guy was tapped for the job for quite some time (giving people plenty of time to figure out he wasn't a qualified interpreter, and to find someone who was), or they just tapped him for the gig a couple of days ago (and, therefore, he received no serious, legit, vetting or checking out, despite his prominent role in the proceedings, and his proximity to the most powerful leaders on Earth).

It's funny, but it's kinda not. It's a little scary, actually. Thank God he had no sinister motives or leanings, and he's merely a bullcrap artist. Goodness knows I'm not a fan or supporter of this current administration. But I'm an American, and that is my President. I want him protected when he's out and about, to the fullest. I don't want something crazy or bad to happen to anyone because of incompetency, laziness, corruption or whatever else. That would piss me off, I don't care who's sitting in the office. I would take that quite personally.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-12-12 at 13:45.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-12-12, 17:10

Just to be sure, Paul, not every Western country has a shared sign language. Even nations with identical common language use do not share sign languages. There is a British sign language and an American sign language -- there are two languages used in Canada. etc. etc.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-12-12, 17:29

I figured as much. But is he signing in any known language/dialect? I said above that I was making allowances for this very thing (it would make total sense to me that Africa may have a system completely different from what we'd have here in the U.S., etc.), but I've yet to read (in what little I have) that anyone's been able to pin down exactly what he was doing or using. After two full days, you'd think word would come out that "yes, indeed...he was signing properly and here's the method he uses..." or whatever.

That's what I can't find a straight answer on.

Are the people who are "outraged" (deaf activists, etc.) all wet and not grasping all the angles, or is this guy simply full of it (and pulled a top-level stunt in full view of the planet)?

Simple question. Has to be one of the two...

In any case, my original point still stands...nobody remembers a damn thing from this gathering except the two silly episodes of people snapping selfies and this guy doing interpretive hand dance.

Mandela's probably thinking "this isn't exactly how I intended to go out...everyone acting like goofballs at my memorial."
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2013-12-12, 18:17

According to the BBC the signer claims he had "a schizophrenic episode" and "was seeing angels" during the hours he was there ... still a cause for concern

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2013-12-12 at 19:01.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-12-12, 18:22

Really?

Is it an all-day thing, or did it just happen to hit in the several hours he was on live TV? How long is an "episode"? Was he coherent at one part of the presentation, then things went south? Or did he start off shaky then gradually improve? Or was it just gesture-gibberish from beginning to end?

I don't know, I'm asking. I didn't catch the entire memorial.

I hadn't read that angle yet.

Does anyone on this planet have footage/knowledge of this guy doing legitimate, understandable sign language interpretation? In any language, straight up? Yes or no? Why is this so damn hard nail down? It's been two days. Bank robberies and kidnappings have been uncovered/solved in less time.

If everyone's just being nice and not wanting to come down hard on a fraud with possible mental health issues, I understand. But that can't be your sole guiding principle. At some point the other stuff has to factor in, and count, as well. I wanna be a nice guy too, and cut everyone slack when I can. But this other stuff is very troubling. The more I hear/read, I can't believe he was the person selected to do this. Africa's a pretty big place, last I checked. Hell, we probably could've even flown someone in from the U.S. (isn't Gallaudet up in DC...they could've hitched a ride on Air Force One). That would've even been a feather in the cap/good PR for the President ("South African-born student currently studying in the United States provides sign language interpreting for Mandela memorial, viewed worldwide; enjoys once-in-a-lifetime ride on Air Force One to Africa"). Something like that would've been great news to come out of this, instead of all this other.

How severe is his condition? Is it/has it been marked by violence or other troubling episodes?

Are things just more free-wheeling and "it's all good" in parts of the world I'm not accustomed to? I guess so.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-12-12 at 18:33.
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-12-13, 15:36

Oh good, he was once charged with murder. And, true to form, this story sheds no further light on if this guy was a sign interpreter in any way shape or form or just a random lunatic that.... showed up and volunteered? South African officials continue to make harumphing noises about "thorough investigations" and all, but Good God, ya'll.

I'd like to think that this guy is an interpreter by trade who has a history of relatively controlled schizophrenia and was having a bad day (I suppose the day he was charged with murder was bad as well, but we'll have to see about that one). I mean, who among us has not been transfixed by the sight of angels poring form the sky and been reduced to babbling? Even so, it's starting to look suspiciously like this wasn't so much a failure of vetting someone properly as allowing a completely random person on stage, and they know that they fucked up hideously, and they're hoping that they can stall long enough for people to move on.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-12-13, 15:54

No, wait, he's also faced charges of rape, theft, breaking and entering, malicious damage to property and kidnapping! And there's no way to follow up on the murder charges because the case file is "mysteriously empty"! And the agency that hired him has "vanished into thin air"!

Reading that last one, it sort of sounds like that finding someone who is fluent in Xhosa, English and sign is tough, that this guy's English was actually not so good, and that he may have presented himself as having skills he did not to a firm that was doing sign on the cheap with substandard interpreters that they..... culled from the ranks of the homeless? That can't be right, can it?

If I were the South African government, I'd be doing a thorough accounting of everyone I used for contractor services, about now.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-12-13, 17:38

Ohmigosh!

Yeah, it's one thing if it's just a sign-language interpreter. It could've gotten ugly, but it didn't. But if this is the method you use to hire people to build your schools, roads, sewers, run your airports, etc., holy hell.

This story gets crazier with each newly-released detail.

If something had happened the other day, how deep in horseshit would we actually be at this point, hearing from all the involved (and responsible) parties who let this man on the stage?

Eagerly looking forward to tomorrow, to learn what else they've found out about this guy (he has a life-like Andy Griffith sex doll chained up in his attic, etc.).

I know that whatever I write here probably won't even approach the nuttiness...
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-12-13, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
(he has a life-like Andy Griffith sex doll chained up in his attic, etc.)
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2013-12-13, 20:31

North Korean propaganda dept loves hyperbole... Kim Jong Un's uncle executed edition

Footage shown by North Korea's KCTV and released by South Korea's Yonhap news agency shows Jang Song Thaek being removed from a Politburo meeting. (Yonhap/AFP/Getty Images)
When the TV newscast shows you getting ejected and sent to the woodshed, you know there's a message...

Then the actual press release, in all it's over the top glory
PYONGYANG, December 13 06:23 KST (KCNA) — Upon hearing the report on the enlarged meeting of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, the service personnel and people throughout the country broke into angry shouts that a stern judgment of the revolution should be meted out to the anti-party, counter-revolutionary factional elements. Against the backdrop of these shouts rocking the country, a special military tribunal of the DPRK Ministry of State Security was held on December 12 against traitor for all ages Jang Song Thaek.

The accused Jang brought together undesirable forces and formed a faction as the boss of a modern day factional group for a long time and thus committed such hideous crime as attempting to overthrow the state by all sorts of intrigues and despicable methods with a wild ambition to grab the supreme power of our party and state.

The tribunal examined Jang's crimes.

All the crimes committed by the accused were proved in the course of hearing and were admitted by him.
A decision of the special military tribunal of the Ministry of State Security of the DPRK was read out at the trial.

Every sentence of the decision served as sledge-hammer blow brought down by our angry service personnel and people on the head of Jang, an anti-party, counter-revolutionary factional element and despicable political careerist and trickster.

The accused is a traitor to the nation for all ages who perpetrated anti-party, counter-revolutionary factional acts in a bid to overthrow the leadership of our party and state and the socialist system.
Jang was appointed to responsible posts of the party and state thanks to the deep political trust of President Kim Il Sung and leader Kim Jong Il and received benevolence from them more than any others from long ago.

He held higher posts than before and received deeper trust from supreme leader Kim Jong Un, in particular.
The political trust and benevolence shown by the peerlessly great men of Mt. Paektu were something he hardly deserved.

It is an elementary obligation of a human being to repay trust with sense of obligation and benevolence with loyalty.

However, despicable human scum Jang, who was worse than a dog, perpetrated thrice-cursed acts of treachery in betrayal of such profound trust and warmest paternal love shown by the party and the leader for him.

From long ago, Jang had a dirty political ambition. He dared not raise his head when Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il were alive. But, reading their faces, Jang had an axe to grind and involved himself in double-dealing. He began revealing his true colors, thinking that it was just the time for him to realize his wild ambition in the period of historic turn when the generation of the revolution was replaced.

Jang committed such an unpardonable thrice-cursed treason as overtly and covertly standing in the way of settling the issue of succession to the leadership with an axe to grind when a very important issue was under discussion to hold respected Kim Jong Un in high esteem as the only successor to Kim Jong Il in reflection of the unanimous desire and will of the entire party and army and all people.

When his cunning move proved futile and the decision that Kim Jong Un was elected vice-chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea at the Third Conference of the WPK in reflection of the unanimous will of all party members, service personnel and people was proclaimed, making all participants break into enthusiastic cheers that shook the conference hall, he behaved so arrogantly and insolently as unwillingly standing up from his seat and half-heartedly clapping, touching off towering resentment of our service personnel and people.

Jang confessed that he behaved so at that time as a knee-jerk reaction as he thought that if Kim Jong Un's base and system for leading the army were consolidated, this would lay a stumbling block in the way of grabbing the power of the party and state.

When Kim Jong Il passed away so suddenly and untimely to our sorrow, he began working in real earnest to realize its long-cherished greed for power.

Abusing the honor of often accompanying Kim Jong Un during his field guidance, Jang tried hard to create illusion about him by projecting himself internally and externally as a special being on a par with the headquarters of the revolution.

In a bid to rally a group of reactionaries to be used by him for toppling the leadership of the party and state, he let the undesirable and alien elements including those who had been dismissed and relieved of their posts after being severely punished for disobeying the instructions of Kim Jong Il and kowtowing to him work in a department of the Central Committee of the WPK and organs under it in a crafty manner.

Jang did serious harm to the youth movement in our country, being part of the group of renegades and traitors in the field of youth work bribed by enemies. Even after they were disclosed and purged by the resolute measure of the party, he patronized those cat's paws and let them hold important posts of the party and state.
While I dig the retro vibe of ”despicable human scum Jang, who was worse than a dog, perpetrated thrice-cursed acts of treachery", I think the despots desire to diss the dead needs an upgrade. Maybe he can get Jason Bateman to write insults for him.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-02-03, 15:38

Spoiler (click to toggle):

BOO!

(Sleep well tonight, Applenova.)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-02-17, 11:17

Darwin 1 - Snake Pastor 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26224452

Sorry if this seems crass, but
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-02-28, 11:32

It's a bird, it's an F/18 with a glandular problem... NO... it's

[WWFannouncer]BaHHHHttle BLiiiimP![/WWF]

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ight-5#slide-1

Disclaimer: Battle Blimp is aka "Surveillance Blimp" or "constant stare spying from 20,000 feet for 3 weeks with no crew."

Daily Update: Allegedly "scrapped" by the US military, Battle Blimp is now a "civilian enterprise" being launched in the UK. For purely peaceful purposes, we assure you. [MI5]Move along people, this is not the surveillance blimp you were looking for.[/MI5]

Quote:
"They also have a pseudo-military use. Rather than having a police helicopter which are noisy and can only stay up for a limited period of time, these can stay airborne for a long time...."

...into the light of a dark black night.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2014-03-02, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
It's a bird, it's an F/18 with a glandular problem... NO... it's

[WWFannouncer]BaHHHHttle BLiiiimP![/WWF]

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ight-5#slide-1

Disclaimer: Battle Blimp is aka "Surveillance Blimp" or "constant stare spying from 20,000 feet for 3 weeks with no crew."

Daily Update: Allegedly "scrapped" by the US military, Battle Blimp is now a "civilian enterprise" being launched in the UK. For purely peaceful purposes, we assure you. [MI5]Move along people, this is not the surveillance blimp you were looking for.[/MI5]
Bonus: One of the Airship's new "owner/operators" is Bruce Dickinson - commercial pilot... but perhaps better known as the erstwhile vocalist of Iron Maiden

His interview on the BBC News (clip probably not viewable outside the UK) talked about it potentially going pole to pole, staying airborne for weeks, cruising 20ft over the Amazon, etc. Helium filled, but aerodynamically more a lifting body/wing than a pure blimp, and "capable of sustaining 6 ft puncture holes in the side without deflating".

Sounded pretty cool, and this is apparently only a proof of concept for him... He was convinced if it passes all the checkout tests he has in mind he wants to scale the concept up to almost triple the size, capable of carrying many tons of aid supplies to crisis zones without needing a landing strip (since it can land on water and act like a hovercraft too).

He thinks it looks like Thunderbird Two, but no green paint job planned, and no secret island base or super marionation puppets as crew. Yet.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2014-03-02 at 18:25.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2014-04-13, 15:25

Separated at birth?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-04-13, 16:02

Yikes...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-14, 21:32

I think they're the same person, pulling a huge prank (to see who can be the most insufferable shithead in the Western Hemisphere).

Currently it's a dead-tie.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-04-15, 19:04

I thought the story today about the U.S. Airways customer relations tweet was quite something.

Warning probably NSFW even in its edited format:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5148458.html

I wonder exactly how that happened? It seems a bit much to be just a careless mistake. Was it a customer relations rep who just had one too many complaints and lost it? If so, I wonder if they think that it was worth it, as they must certainly have lost their job.

My uncle was actually a behind-the-counter customer relations rep for a big airline for many years and has some stories to tell. On the positive side, however, he met his future wife that way, when she came to the counter to complain about a problem. They have been happily married now since 1972. Presumably he replied to her complaint a little bit more sensitively than the U.S. Airways tweet.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2014-04-21, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
I thought the story today about the U.S. Airways customer relations tweet was quite something.

Warning probably NSFW even in its edited format:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5148458.html

I wonder exactly how that happened? It seems a bit much to be just a careless mistake. Was it a customer relations rep who just had one too many complaints and lost it? If so, I wonder if they think that it was worth it, as they must certainly have lost their job.

My uncle was actually a behind-the-counter customer relations rep for a big airline for many years and has some stories to tell. On the positive side, however, he met his future wife that way, when she came to the counter to complain about a problem. They have been happily married now since 1972. Presumably he replied to her complaint a little bit more sensitively than the U.S. Airways tweet.
If that airline wasn't already a punchline, they are now. Comedians, online, teevee, standup, and everywhere must be loving that story.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-05-11, 01:23

My best friend wrote an blog post on anal sex and it's now the sixth Google result for that search phrase.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/alfred-mac...bout-anal-sex/
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-18, 10:46

SAUSAGE SAMBA

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2014-07-01, 16:33

World Cup Security - Own Goooooooal!

Network Security Epic Fail

Pro Tip: When posing for PR Photos, don't have lame WiFi network password on giant screen in background :/