User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Uprading Win7 Home Premium to Win7 Professional.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Uprading Win7 Home Premium to Win7 Professional.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-11-16, 08:47

First of I got a WinPC Desktop (Gateway SX2800) in about August because I destroyed my MacBook as a temporary solution. I'm waiting for an i7 17" MacBook Pro. I guess waiting and hoping, regardless waiting for an upgrade and got an adequate and cheap PC so I can get my work done which unfortunately runs on Windows.

This Gateway apparently gets an upgrade for Win7 when it comes out, but otherwise came with Vista Home Premium and a lot of crap that I soon formatted and installed Win7 Ultimate RC. Strangely enough, when I got the official version of Win7 upgrade it allowed me to upgrade from their RC candidate, never needed to reinstall Vista. Sadly, it didn't upgrade to Win7 Ultimate.

So I needed Win7 Professional at very least and paid the $89 ($138 for ultimate), which I felt was way overpriced, to use that anytime upgrade. Now I was guessing I would have to download or AT LEAST bring the DVD into the picture to upgrade to professional, but no. There was no DVD request, for that matter beyond saying it was sending a new CD-Key (DVD-key? DVD really are still CDs, no?) to my mailbox and a reboot. Seems like everything is already installed just compressed.

My biggest need, XP via ironically Virtual PC, is a 500Mb download! As far as I've heard, it's a download regardless what version of Windows media you own. Why the hell would they do that? Seems like a pretty important aspect. I guess the 500Mb is their cheat to a smaller size, not that I really noticed considering I never used Vista.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-11-16, 14:07

Virtual PC was not included with Vista either, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-11-16, 15:30

I had an Apple running XP mostly, and the Beta of Win7 seemed to make my program crash less than the Real Win7. My program that officially doesn't support Win7 just crashed and froze time and time again. So I broke and upgraded for Virtual PC. :/

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2009-11-16, 22:40

Did you try running the program in compatibility mode?

That usually fixes these sort of things without having to resort to emulation.