User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Magic Trackpad...leaked photos/details of a new product to be announced today?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Magic Trackpad...leaked photos/details of a new product to be announced today?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-07, 06:46

Interesting...and finally some meaty "new product/rumor" goodness (I was about to OD on nothing but iPhone and 4.0 talk)

Here's the story at AppleInsider. Certainly looks real and legit, and there are actual large, clear, non-elevator shots provided!

Basically, it looks like a large, square-ish Apple Bluetooth keyboard...minus the keys. Just a large, MultiTouch trackpad surface. Judging by the battery compartment in the photo, I estimate the size to be about 4-5" or so?

From the article:

Quote:
Photos of a new wireless multitouch "Magic Trackpad" input device -- an unannounced product rumored for months -- leaked Monday before Apple's WWDC 2010 keynote.

Engadget editor Joshua Topolsky revealed pictures of the device, which shares a similar design with Apple's wireless Bluetooth keyboard. The device appears to offer a large, multitouch input surface for Mac hardware.

"What we appear to be looking at is a brand new input device that Apple has dreamed up which connects to desktops (and laptops, if you like) via Bluetooth, much like the Apple Keyboard," Topolsky wrote. "If you take what you see in the photos at face value, it would seem that the folks in Cupertino are making a play for finger-based input in a big way -- taking the work they've done on Mac laptops and the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, and translating it to the desktop realm."

The images also came with a tip that the device would support handwriting recognition, along with "every feature you can find on a Magic Mouse (and possibly features of a MacBook Pro trackpad)." The information reportedly came from a person who claimed to be personally testing it.

This makes way more sense than an iMac or Cinema Display with a MultiTouch display...who in the hell wants to sit for hours holding their arms up to the screen. Try it...your shoulders and wrists will be aching within 5-10 minutes. But a trackpad thingie? Why not? So I guess this would be used in place of a mouse?

Interesting. Is this the "one more thing..." from today? I don't know...

EDIT: Story also up at Gizmodo and Engadget (where more photos, from different angles, are posted)

I'm gonna have to say "legit" on this. Makes sense, seems like something Apple would do, actually fills a role, looks the part, the photos are the same types that have accompanied previous "day of" leaks (5G iPhone, aluminum iMac keyboard, etc.).

If they're charging $69 for a mouse (that doesn't even support all the notebook trackpad gestures), then I'm gonna have to guess this thing will go for $99-129 (it's Apple, after all...it's always gonna be at least $30-40 more than you ever imagine, and that any other company would sell a similar product for).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-06-07 at 07:00.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-06-07, 07:02

Gruber suggested this might be on the way back in the fall, at the same time he accurately called for the Mac mini server:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/10/19/tomorrow

He didn't believe it at the time, but the pictures there look like a pretty damn complete product. I think it's coming tomorrow, and I'm expecting it to be the same price as the mouse -- maybe even less.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-07, 07:23

Well, I'm definitely looking for something to replace this broken scroll-ball Mighty Mouse that came with my iMac 18 months ago. I've been wanting a Magic Mouse, and that's probably what I'll end up with soon, but I'm glad I didn't buy anything this past week or two...just in case.

I don't think I would replace a mouse with a trackpad thing, but I'm willing to see what this does, how much it costs, etc.

Or, even better, if they announce a Magic Mouse software/firmware update that gives it some more functions and gestures!

I suppose I could draw, paint and use the pen tool with a trackpad-like device, if I liked everything else about it (and the price was right).

Should be a fun keynote today. Poor Steve...the harder they try to keep stuff under the wraps, the more it leaks out in big ways.

He probably spent the past month consoling himself with thoughts of "well, the new iPhone is ruined...at least they don't know about this. I'll still have one surprise for them."

Nope.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-07, 07:44

Wow...

A brand-new product, leaked on the day of the keynote, with pics and details galore (in other words, the kind of stuff we live for here). And nobody gives a rip?!

Interesting...

I guess if it had Twitter and NPR integration, this thread would already be 6-7 pages long?

*ducks*
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-07, 08:07

It was early. We were sleeping Paul.

Looks nice, but this thing in particular is going to be one of those products that you just don't know how well it will work until using it. The wrist strain might be frustrating, or it might be completely natural. Do you use it with two hands or one?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Miko
Veteran Member

2010-06-07, 08:12

I think I just found out how they plan on controlling a new Apple TV running apps and iPhone OS!

Remote? Who want's a remote? You need buttons and line of sight yuck!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-07, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
It was early. We were sleeping Paul.

Looks nice, but this thing in particular is going to be one of those products that you just don't know how well it will work until using it. The wrist strain might be frustrating, or it might be completely natural. Do you use it with two hands or one?
That's a bit personal.

I can't imagine the strain being any worse or different than someone who uses their MacBook without a mouse? It's just a trackpad. Looks like they lifted it right off a 17" MacBook Pro (made it a bit larger) and it'll do all the same swipe, rotate, scroll stuff...and probably have the expected preference settings for travel, sensitivity, speed, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
I think I just found out how they plan on controlling a new Apple TV running apps and iPhone OS!

Remote? Who want's a remote? You need buttons and line of sight yuck!
Hey, now...that's something to consider! Hmm...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-07, 08:17

It looks huge compared to a trackpad, that's my main concern with regards to the wrist strain.
arteggio

2010-06-07, 08:22

For about a year I used a Wacom Bamboo as a mouse replacement with no wrist strain, but if you do have problems already I wouldn't suggest overusing it. (As I now know after developing carpel tunnel or whatever in my writing wrist from an unrelated problem.)
Graculus

2010-06-07, 08:23

Finally.

I've been waiting for this for my desktops since the moment I bought the glass-tracked MBP.

It's such an obvious device, but I'd assumed they'd bodged it with the introduction of the magic mouse. Looks like I'll have three of those to ebay now - hopefully.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-07, 08:42

Behold the skills...

Assuming this thing will use AA batteries (I'm not sure on the quantity...could be one or two?), I scaled the Duracell to fit that little cylinder riser/battery compartment. Roughly to true scale. So, knowing a AA battery is right at 2" long, I'm going to guess this trackpad to be about 5" wide...about the width of an average adult hand (mine anyway). Your hand would pretty much reach/cover it without too much arm movement. So it's definitely not a large 8-12" Wacom type of thing, but it's a bit bigger than the trackpad you'd see on a 13" MacBook (I'm not sure how wide the trackpad is on the 17" MacBook Pro, but I'm guessing it's less than 5"?).

Anyway, look for something roughly the size of a standard CD jewel case (if it's to use AA batteries, which I think is a safe bet). That seems like a tight, compact and comfortable size. I've got my hand on a jewel case now, pretending it's a trackpad surface. Feels pretty natural...all four fingers present, swiping, rotating, flicking, etc.

Might be a neat little device for certain types of users. And if they price it the same as the Magic Mouse (I wish they'd just get over themselves and lower that by $10 or so), that would make a nice, evenly-matched decision for folks to make...mouse or trackpad?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-06-07, 11:26

I want one!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-06-07, 11:46

Why would you want to use a trackpad instead of a mouse? I don't get it. It's less precise and you run out of space too easily. I love Apple's trackpads but they're still nowhere near as good as a mouse, especially on a desktop that may have a very large screen. The only advantage I can see is that you don't have to worry about finding the right surface the way you do with a mouse.

At first I thought it was going to be Apple's answer to graphics tablets, but it looks more like a trackpad than a tablet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-07, 11:56

I guess for people who don't require precision pointing (if you're just scrolling, surfing, swiping and flicking your way through the day), they're just looking to take advantage of all those iPhone/iPod touch/iPad gestures that so many people are becoming more familiarly with?

I'll most likely stick with a mouse (99% sure of it), but I can imagine those who aren't drawing, painting or dealing with precise shapes and curves to be okay with it. Notebooks have taken off in recent years, and I guess a lot of people dig the trackpad? I know creative types who don't plug a mouse into their MacBooks and do page layout and similar work all on the trackpad. Maybe it's catering to those people? Plus consumers who just hang out in Safari, iPhoto, Mail and iTunes 90% of the time?

I'm sure there will be some neat "hook" to it that will make it more cool and enticing than we're thinking.

Or not.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-06-07, 12:05

I always thought people with laptops used their trackpads full time because they never even thought to plug in a mouse. I think most computer users are like that... it's not that they're necessarily stupid, they just don't even think about it enough to realize "hey, why am I struggling with this little trackpad and cramped keyboard?" And the reason laptops are even as popular as they are is because they're so simple to set up. It's not hard to plug in a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but people have it in their heads that it's hard so they get a laptop anyway and then never even use it away from the desk.

Not sure what the appeal is of an external trackpad unless you just buy everything Apple makes. I'm sure it'll sell well for that reason alone.
zsummers
Avast!

2010-06-07, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
The only advantage I can see is that you don't have to worry about finding the right surface the way you do with a mouse.
This + two-finger scrolling beats any mouse any day for web-surfing. It's a joy.

I have completely contrary feelings about mouse vs. trackpad. That's because (a) the nature of my work (writing and web-based research) doesn't require the pinpoint accuracy of a mouse, and (b) I've been using trackpads for over 10 years and am very, very, very comfortable with them.

I get what you're saying, and maybe the magic mouse is something we can agree on... but I personally see the use of something like this.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-07, 12:17

Yeah, I think it's less about "being a laptop trackpad" and, instead, moving those iPhone/iPad gestures to the Mac? The Magic Mouse kinda does that. I guess this just takes it further?

It's certainly not for everyone, but, as I said, if all you're doing is flicking, scrolling, clicking big buttons, etc., maybe this feels more "in hand" or something?
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2010-06-07, 15:36

This might fill the gap between the couch and Macs with large screens.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-06-07, 15:53

Possible tie-in with a new AppleTV?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-06-07, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Possible tie-in with a new AppleTV?
hm... we may have a winner here.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-07, 16:06

Is tv something that might be updated at the September iPod event? Kinda fits in with that a bit, doesn't it? Because I can't imagine this "hobby" getting its own dedicated press event. Then again, if they've changed all the underlying OS and use, maybe it does? Or piggyback it onto an event for new towers/displays or something? I don't know...

Off to dinner...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-06-07, 16:12

Quote:
I always thought people with laptops used their trackpads full time because they never even thought to plug in a mouse.
Er, frankly I much prefer a trackpad to a mouse on a laptop. Hell, I'm not sure I prefer a mouse on a desktop computer. I can just flick with my thumbtip and not have to move my hands from the keyboard, not to mention that watching someone with a laptop and mouse without a desk to work on is a comedy show. HIGHlarious.

Quote:
Not sure what the appeal is of an external trackpad unless you just buy everything Apple makes. I'm sure it'll sell well for that reason alone.
As mentioned above, Apple TV. I have a Bluetooth wireless keyboard for running the mini HTPC at home, and use my iPhone as a mouse. This would be an improvement over that. (Before you suggest a wireless mouse or trackball - been there, done that, the iPhone was an improvement over *that*. Couch != desk.)

Throw in the full range of gesture support, with a decent price point, and I see this being quite a popular device.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-06-07, 16:30

I would love this. And i guess that with some practice, it would become more natural/better than a mouse.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2010-06-07, 18:51

Yeah, I'm in the same camp... I prefer a trackpad for general use. Less effort involved, I think. Two fingered scrolling is a wonderful thing.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 06:32

Quote:
I always thought people with laptops used their trackpads full time because they never even thought to plug in a mouse. I think most computer users are like that... it's not that they're necessarily stupid, they just don't even think about it enough to realize "hey, why am I struggling with this little trackpad and cramped keyboard?" And the reason laptops are even as popular as they are is because they're so simple to set up. It's not hard to plug in a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but people have it in their heads that it's hard so they get a laptop anyway and then never even use it away from the desk.

The first thing I did when I got my first laptop (start of 2006) was to buy a mouse to go with it. But then at the end of 2008 I got a MacBook with MultiTouch trackpad and have never plugged my mouse into it. The mouse sat in a drawer for a few years and I eventually gave it to my aunt. I haven't looked back. The MultiTouch gestures feel so natural and having the trackpad right below the keyboard where you barely have to move your hands is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Is tv something that might be updated at the September iPod event? Kinda fits in with that a bit, doesn't it? Because I can't imagine this "hobby" getting its own dedicated press event. Then again, if they've changed all the underlying OS and use, maybe it does?
Rather, I think the iPods will be tacked onto the September AppleTV event! Think about it... do they really have anything exciting left to do with iPods? The main iPod now is the iPod touch, which really just a modified iPhone, and all the excitement there happens months earlier. The classic will probably be killed off this year or next year. The nano gained a camera last year and that's the most exciting thing to have happened to it for years. The shuffle is as simple as it can get - just a clip with a hole to plug in your iPhone-style headphones. The era of the iPod is over. It's the iOS era now. September will be all about the AppleTV + iTunes, I expect.

Getting a bit off-topic now though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-06-08, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
This + two-finger scrolling beats any mouse any day for web-surfing. It's a joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
The MultiTouch gestures feel so natural and having the trackpad right below the keyboard where you barely have to move your hands is awesome.
Exactly. It's gotten to the point where I find browsing with a mouse cumbersome. I've only recently gotten a trackpad with gestures, so I'm only fully used to two-finger scrolling, but pinching and three-finger-swiping seem like big timesavers as well — making it all the more puzzling and unfortunate that Safari Reader does not appear to support pinch (in QuickTime Player, this invokes a full-screen view, which sounds good to me for distraction-free reading).
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2010-06-08, 16:44

Wait a second.

Wouldn't it be interesting if iPhone and iPad would function a bit differently when connected to an external (tv) screen and such a trackpad?

They could suddenly show a pointer on the external screen, for instance. Controlled by the track pad. You could browse the web on your tv while sitting on your couch, needing very little extra hardware.

What I'm also thinking is this trackpad could work as an interface to some kind of Apple TV

So all this would not be running on Mac OS but on iOS in an iPhone, an iPad and/or the rumored little Apple TV brick ($99 screenless, non mobile iPod Touch).

It suddenly looks to me like things are falling in place really nicely...

Last edited by Doxxic : 2010-06-08 at 16:58.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-06-19, 14:46

I've posted before that it makes sense as the next evolution of the mouse, but only with really good precision, a large surface and really well developed gestural support.

I think I'd buy one, mice are fiddly for scrolling web pages and long docs... Something like this could work a lot better for editing, cutting and blocking too.

Now two things that could be fun.

1. If it had accelerometors to make it useable as a gaming control surface that makes iPad/pod games playable through AppleTV ?

2. A keyboard with built in trackpad for couch potato, lazy-boy duty...

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2010-06-19, 15:16

But really, how many of you would buy it if it wasn't made by Apple (third party, does everything you want)?
¡Damned!

2010-06-19, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
2. A keyboard with built in trackpad for couch potato, lazy-boy duty...
I don't think it's coincidence that it's the same depth as the wireless keyboard. Some enterprising third-party (or Apple itself) will offer some sort of "clip" to hold the two together (and on either side...yay for lefties!):

So it goes.