User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New iPhone line, October 2011 — free iPhone! Sprint iPhone! Scary iPhone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPhone line, October 2011 — free iPhone! Sprint iPhone! Scary iPhone?
Page 7 of 12 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-06, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So... um... looking to pre-order tomorrow ASAP (My iPhone 3G is dying, as of Monday. No, I'm not kidding. No, I did not 'help it along'... I swear...)

Anyone have links to the plans available from AT&T and Verizon? :/ I've been trawling their sites, and holy crap is it obtuse to find any actual information.
Seriously.... i remember trying to do that for ATT... its a pain in the ass.
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-10-06, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Question for those with more cell phone knowledge than I....

I own an iPhone 4, my girlfriend owns a 3GS. We share a family plan on ATT. her contract is up, and she isn't that interested in upgrading, but I'm happy to do so (especially with the trade-in offers online).

If she were to buy an iPhone 4S with a new 2 year contract for her line, would getting my number on the 4S and her number on my "old" 4 be as simple as swapping the SIM cards?
I'm pretty sure it is that easy.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-06, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I'm pretty sure it is that easy.
Yup. They both use the new micro-SIMs, so it should "just work."

The SIM from the 3GS won't fit in the iPhone 4 or 4S, but she'll get a new micro-SIM with the 4S, and those can be switched between the 4 and 4S with ease.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-06, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Yup. They both use the new micro-SIMs, so it should "just work."

The SIM from the 3GS won't fit in the iPhone 4 or 4S, but she'll get a new micro-SIM with the 4S, and those can be switched between the 4 and 4S with ease.
sweet.

Now the question is.... white or black..... i've always chosen black except for iPods... i feel like black is the iPhone's signature look.... but the white is tempting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-06, 18:04

I was big on the white last year (until it kept getting delayed and I had an opportunity/need to go ahead and get the readily-available black model). So I've got the black. It's very nice...like a piano. One of the ways I "justified" it (after yammering so much about how badly I wanted the white) was that "well, it's got the black bezel around it, just like my iMac...it'll fade/melt away into the darkness, while on the couch or in bed at night."

And while that is true to some degree, screw that.

I won't lie. If I was eligible for a 4s and was going to order one tomorrow, I'd go with the white. Hands-down, no question.

Which automatically means you'll probably go with the black...

But seriously...I've now seen two of them in real life in the past few months, and they're really striking. You just don't see that color in a cell phone, and they really look sharp. There's really nothing like them out there (not in any real numbers, anyway). You mostly see cell phones in black or silver (or in some wild, crazy case). But white?

Just screams "Apple" to me, like my Magic Mouse or iPods I've owned in the past.

Speaking of black and white, it seems to me that Apple is highlighting/pushing the white 4s model a lot more this time around. It was featured prominently in that promo video, and it's all over their site. Maybe as "balance", since the black one spent so much time on its own last year due to those delays? But it almost seems like Apple themselves are pushing it just a tad bit too. It seems to be first, top or more prominently displayed throughout their site.

And if you go to AT&T, Verizon or Sprint's sites, their homepages are all showing the white 4s as well. It's that tilted-back Apple-supplied "beauty shot" with the Siri weather display loaded. Seems to be the popular "go to" shot used since Tuesday.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2011-10-06, 18:45

Quote:
Anyone have links to the plans available from AT&T and Verizon? :/ I've been trawling their sites, and holy crap is it obtuse to find any actual information.
They make it impossible, don't they? PC Mag put together a decent comparison: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394224,00.asp

A few things to note:
  • it doesn't include taxes and fees and crap.
  • The final comparison is for 900 minutes. 450 minutes is $20 less all-around.
  • It includes unlimited texting. On ATT, that's a $20 tack-on, and there are no lower tiers available to new customers anymore (but you can get grandfathered in). I don't know about Verizon's texting plan.
  • You can also save $10 on ATT if you scrimp by on 200MB data. I am often under 200MB, but simply bounce up to the 2GB plan if I get close.

Edit: I just saw Scates posted over in the 12:01 thread this more thorough engadget post.

Edit edit: Oh, and you already saw it, too.

Last edited by Majost : 2011-10-06 at 18:56.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-10-06, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I was big on the white last year (until it kept getting delayed and I had an opportunity/need to go ahead and get the readily-available black model). So I've got the black. It's very nice...like a piano. One of the ways I "justified" it (after yammering so much about how badly I wanted the white) was that "well, it's got the black bezel around it, just like my iMac...it'll fade/melt away into the darkness, while on the couch or in bed at night."

And while that is true to some degree, screw that.

I won't lie. If I was eligible for a 4s and was going to order one tomorrow, I'd go with the white. Hands-down, no question.
Paul, I love the candor in your self evaluative posts. This one is gold!

Knowing I was going to buy the new iPhone, I have been tossing up which colour to settle on, but I think you may have swayed me to go with white. If I ever get an iPad, I'll get that as a black model instead - with similar justifications as yours; the bezel fades into the background at night, matches the Apple Display I have... and it will look more appropriate in one of those iCade boxes.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-06, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Paul, I love the candor in your self evaluative posts. This one is gold!

Knowing I was going to buy the new iPhone, I have been tossing up which colour to settle on, but I think you may have swayed me to go with white. If I ever get an iPad, I'll get that as a black model instead - with similar justifications as yours; the bezel fades into the background at night, matches the Apple Display I have... and it will look more appropriate in one of those iCade boxes.
I wouldn't be able to stand not having my iPad and iPhone match, though.

I don't know if it's available wherever you live, but the white iPad does match the Atari arcade stick, which is cheaper and which Engadget seems to prefer, control-wise (though it lacks the iCade's retro charm).

And yeah, I'd totally get the iPhone 4S in white. It stands out from the crowd and goes better with the neon-colored bumpers, IMO. And I just like white electronics. There's so many boring black devices.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wrao
Yarp

2011-10-06, 20:14

Pretty tricky the way the three major providers shake out in terms of what their plans cost vs. what they offer. On the plus side, between the three of them there really is a fair bit of flexibility and options at all price points, but it is interesting how they all sort of average out within spitting distance of each other when you try and even their features out a little.

Still think Sprint's basic plan + 10/month unlimited data is the one for me, too bad there is no mobile hotspot included with that.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-06, 20:21

What does the mobile hotspot mean? That my phone can serve as a modem for other devices? I think that's what it means.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-06, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
What does the mobile hotspot mean? That my phone can serve as a modem for other devices? I think that's what it means.
Exactly Drew.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-10-06, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I wouldn't be able to stand not having my iPad and iPhone match, though.

I don't know if it's available wherever you live, but the white iPad does match the Atari arcade stick, which is cheaper and which Engadget seems to prefer, control-wise (though it lacks the iCade's retro charm).

And yeah, I'd totally get the iPhone 4S in white. It stands out from the crowd and goes better with the neon-colored bumpers, IMO. And I just like white electronics. There's so many boring black devices.
Thanks Robo - I have not kept up with gaming accessories so was good to see the Atari take, although the retro charm was a big draw for me with the iCade. (Also, I don't think the white seems to match perfectly with the arcade stick. </nitpick> )

Re: iPad colour justification - that's part indulgence speaking. I bought a white one for my wife this year (still owe Paul a photo with the white smartcover - haven't forgotten!) and I'm not in any rush to own my own presently. The iPhone serves me well and has truly proved indispensable to me for mobile computing needs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-07, 21:07

Gruber's new piece.

I gotta say, I love the first three paragraphs. Wish I'd thought of that. It does sound oddly familiar, however...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-07, 21:45

Quote:
Gruber's new piece.

I gotta say, I love the first three paragraphs. Wish I'd thought of that. It does sound oddly familiar, however...

I started a new thread for discussion of potential future iPhones, including, of course, my response to his points.
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-07, 22:28

So do the bumpers work well? Do I need a case? Is there a slim case recommendation that isn't annoying? I want protection as I'm paranoid, but I don't want anything that sticks in my pocket or adds a ton of bulk.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-07, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
So do the bumpers work well? Do I need a case? Is there a slim case recommendation that isn't annoying? I want protection as I'm paranoid, but I don't want anything that sticks in my pocket or adds a ton of bulk.
Have you considered AppleCare+?
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-07, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Yeah, this, me too! Me too! I hate to cover up this beautiful phone, but I've heard scary stories of cracking and shattering glass backs from minor falls. Would screen protector type things be enough? Can I just carry it around as is if I'm careful?

EDIT: How much is Apple Care+? Will they replace my phone if it is even microscopically damaged? I haven't lived with one so I'm not inured to the inevitable dings of real world use. I want it to stay perfect forever.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-07, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Yeah, this, me too! Me too! I hate to cover up this beautiful phone, but I've heard scary stories of cracking and shattering glass backs from minor falls. Would screen protector type things be enough? Can I just carry it around as is if I'm careful?
Have you considered AppleCare+?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-07, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
EDIT: How much is Apple Care+? Will they replace my phone if it is even microscopically damaged? I haven't lived with one so I'm not inured to the inevitable dings of real world use. I want it to stay perfect forever.
AppleCare+ is $99. It's a two year warranty and up to two replacements due to accidental damage, each subject to a $49 fee. It's expensive, but it's the thinnest and prettiest iPhone "case" I know of.

I don't know if they'll replace the phone if it's only microscopically damaged, but if it was ever not "damaged enough" you could always just drop it. You'd just have to decide if it was worth the $49 fee, and using up one of your replacements.

In my experience, Apple glass is durable (you know...for glass). It was the plastic that cracked on my iPhone 3G, and it's the metal that's gotten dinged on my iPad. But the glass on both are virtually pristine.

It's up to you, but a case that is super thin and also super protective doesn't really...exist.

Eugene
careful with axes

2011-10-08, 04:13

As someone who dropped and cracked his iPhone 3G a few days after purchase, I can say that a case/bumper will go a long way. It just depends on how much you value the aesthetic. I went ahead and bought an Incase sleeve plus film for my iPhone 3G and will surely be buying a rubberized case for my 4S.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-08, 10:10

Well, it appears to be a solid hit...despite its "shortcomings", which people don't really seem to care anything about.

People know a good thing when they see it, and don't live their lives solely by the spec sheet and numbers.

As mentioned earlier by myself and others (and echoed in some online articles by real writers and reviewers), it's not about iPhone 4 owners being "sufficiently impressed" enough to upgrade...most people don't do that until their contracts are up and they can pay those cheaper, subsidized prices. This is for the tons of 3Gs (and older) iPhone owners, and, more importantly, those who don't currently use one.

Those numbers add up to a lot. There's no reason to think this new iPhone will be anything but a another massive hit for Apple.

However, once these current 4 owners start hitting their early eligibility marks in the coming 2-6 months, there will be additional avenues of sale.

Pent-up demand, platform momentum, iOS 5, a proven winner, great word-of-mouth, a solid accessory market, the whole developer and store ecosystem, etc. all add up.

That's what people see, and buy into. Not any 1-2 particular bits of hardware specs or numbers.

Apple's in a really good spot these days, and it's all paying off nicely.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-10-08, 10:12

One thing Steve demonstrated...

It's the not the length of your feature list, it's how you use it.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-10-08, 10:49

Quote:
One thing Steve demonstrated...

It's the not the length of your feature list, it's how you use it.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-10-08, 11:02

Quote:
Well, it appears to be a solid hit...despite its "shortcomings", which people don't really seem to care anything about.
Solid? It's a massive hit! It broke preorder records on Sprint and AT&T, which basically means it's a extremely desirable among current iPhone owners (AT&T) and new iPhone owners (Sprint) alike. Verizon's been mum but I'll be damned if it hasn't broken their records as well.

1) Apple releases new product.
2) Pundits say product is lame, won't sell, fall from grace, etc.
3) People buy product in record numbers.

Rinse. Repeat. Frankly, it's amazing they keep reacting they way they do. You'd think they'd get a hint after 10 years, but no, they all continue to act as if Apple is teetering on the precipice of failure.

Also, another fun fact: I work on the front and guess what? Most people have no idea what the "pundits" are saying with the occasional exception of Mossberg or Pogue, nor do they care. When the internet gets in a tizzy about Apple, it really only serves to highlight how glaringly out of touch they actually are with the world.

The Apple dichotomy always amazes me. iPhone 4S is a dud, then iPhone 4S breaks all sales records, but it's still a "muted" reaction. If the Bionic pulled in similar numbers (it doesn't) then it would be huge news, but when Apple does it, it's "muted." They expect Apple to fail yet they react to Apple's success as if it was somehow... well, expected, all while clinging to their assessment Apple Product X is a dud. They predict Apple will fail and when they continually don't, it's never a surprise. The level of self-importance and cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Internet pundits have no fucking idea what they're talking about, and this proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. You'd have more luck predicting Apple's success with a Magic 8 ball, and your track record would be damn near spotless if you just went with the opposite of the internet consensus every time.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-10-08 at 11:39.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-08, 11:14

I know. I said "solid" on purpose.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-10-08, 11:18

Quote:
I know. I said "solid" on purpose.
Oh you!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-08, 12:02

Isn't the definition of a pundit someone who doesn't know what he or she is talking about?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-08, 12:27

Can't tell if serious, so: no.

A pundit is like a lobbyist for the media: an expert on a subject matter. In the former case, they screw over the public by having their nonsense spread throughout the media; in the other, they do so through corrupt politicians.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-08, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Can't tell if serious, so: no.

A pundit is like a lobbyist for the media: an expert on a subject matter. In the former case, they screw over the public by having their nonsense spread throughout the media; in the other, they do so through corrupt politicians.
Did you really think that was serious?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-08, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Did you really think that was serious?
Not to lump you into a category, but I've seen a lot of stuff on the Internet. Besides, it's a matter of perspective. One person's Gruber is another person's pundit.