User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New iPhone line, October 2011 — free iPhone! Sprint iPhone! Scary iPhone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPhone line, October 2011 — free iPhone! Sprint iPhone! Scary iPhone?
Page 8 of 12 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-08, 17:16

I'm not beyond being influenced by others, even when I can evaluate things by myself. It's one of those human quirks that Tori is probably able to describe better than most due to his training.

zippy
Veteran Member

2011-10-10, 21:09

Has anyone seen any estimates about how much data Siri might use? I know it uses a combination of processing things on the phone itself and polling the Siri servers.

I was looking at options between Verizon and AT&T, and AT&T's $15 data offering makes it the lower priced candidate. I just don't know if I could live with only 200 MB, and now Siri could add even more data needs.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-10, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Has anyone seen any estimates about how much data Siri might use? I know it uses a combination of processing things on the phone itself and polling the Siri servers.
From what I've read on the technical front, Siri sends the audio waveform, not just parsed-out data structures, to external servers to handle the speech-to-text translation.

I too will be very curious to see how quickly that adds up.

edit: quote from ArsTechnica, emphasis mine.
Quote:
While these sound like easy things to pull off, the fact is that that these devices may not get Siri at all—at least not in the short term. Besides a relatively beefy processor to power Siri's natural language interpreter, it also relies on speech-to-text recognition technology from Nuance. This works by encoding and sending an audio file to Nuance's servers, which return the interpreted text to the iPhone. Without a constant data connection, Siri doesn't work, period. iPhones are rarely without data connections, but the same can't be said for WiFi-only iPads and iPod touches. Apple will still need to find a way to work the feature into these devices in a way that doesn't frustrate users when it isn't available after leaving the range of a convenient WiFi signal.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-10, 22:08

Good question, zippy! I was wondering the same thing.

I'm actually planning to buy an unlocked iPhone 4S and use it on a pre-paid plan from T-Mobile that has no data, only voice and text. Does this mean that Siri won't work on my phone unless I'm within range of a Wi-Fi network, i.e. only at home?

Seriously, maybe one of the aims of Siri is to generate more data traffic (and thus extra revenue) for the mobile carriers that are paying Apple through the nose for the privilege to carry the iPhone.

PS: Brad's quote from Ars just answered my question. I guess there is no point in getting the iPhone 4S if I'm not willing to pay for a data plan. On the upside, I may save myself even more money than I expected!

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-10-10, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
From what I've read on the technical front, Siri sends the audio waveform, not just parsed-out data structures, to external servers to handle the speech-to-text translation.

I too will be very curious to see how quickly that adds up.

edit: quote from ArsTechnica, emphasis mine.
Whoa, that's even more than I thought. I was hoping that the iPhone would be able to at least handle the on-board stuff, like scheduling meetings, taking notes, setting reminders, etc.. But if it has to use the servers for all of the speech recognition, then that could add up quickly. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though. Both Dragon Dictation and the original Siri app needed internet connectivity to function.

Like I said, 200MB seemed small before Siri but it could be worthless now if a person finds Siri useful. Let's hope they're severely compressing those wave files.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-10, 22:23

It's times like this when I'm glad I still have the unlimited data plan, even though it's costing me a bit more.

With more and more things being "in the cloud," it's only going to use even more data.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-10, 22:42

And it's confirmed that those of us on the unlimited plan can KEEP that plan even if we're actually signing up for a new 2-year contract? Siri sounds like a data plan buster

Eugene
careful with axes

2011-10-11, 00:10

Yes you do have the option of keeping the $30/mo unlimited data plan, but no Mobile Hotspot.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-11, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by splacid View Post
I apologize if this was already addressed in the, um, colorful discussion thus far, but will the existing iPhone 4 cases fit the iPhone 4S? It doesn't look like the dimensions or external button placement changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Sure seems to be exactly the same, although this being Apple we can't rule out the possibility that they moved something a millimeter.
Holy smokes, I was sort of joking, but apparently "iPhone 4s May Not Fit Into iPhone 4 Cases."

Quote:
The hold button and the two volume keys have shifted slightly up the side of the phone. There appears to be a couple of millimetres difference for the hold button, possibly less for the two volume buttons.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-10-11, 10:53

What the hell is a "natural language interpreter?" It sounds like marketing speak to me, to justify "needing" the 4S processor. Given the fact that the data is interpreted by the Nuance servers anyway.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-10-11, 11:01

Here are some benchmarks of the iPhone 4S from Anandtech. Quick summary: The 4S is very close to the iPad 2, performance-wise, especially graphically speaking. It appears to be significantly more powerful than the iPhone 4 in ways you should be able to notice pretty much immediately.

Edit - for clarification: the iPhone 4S is easily the most powerful smartphone on the market, bar none. It's not even close. The only non-Apple device that comes close at all is the Galaxy Tab 8.9, and that's a tablet not a phone. Apple has absolutely done their whole "under-sell and over-deliver" thing with the 4S.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-11, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
What the hell is a "natural language interpreter?" It sounds like marketing speak to me, to justify "needing" the 4S processor.
Natural language isn't marketing at all; it's a branch of AI.

Quote:
Given the fact that the data is interpreted by the Nuance servers anyway.
I thought Nuance was responsible for the speech recognition, not the linguistic analysis.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-11, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I thought Nuance was responsible for the speech recognition, not the linguistic analysis.
This is how I interpreted the breakdown too.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-11, 12:32

So if you're out of range for data you're hosed?
(insofar as voice control goes?)

zippy
Veteran Member

2011-10-11, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

Correct.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-11, 12:54

I've heard claims to the contrary, but everything I've seen from Apple itself, both on the website as well as in quotes of Schiller's from the keynote, seems to suggest that it will only work with a data connection.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-11, 13:41

The one thing that points to your being able to use it was during the keynote it was mentioned that it learns your voice and gets better. I'm guessing it will cache locally some of those common commands/request.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-10-11, 13:44

Quote:
And it's confirmed that those of us on the unlimited plan can KEEP that plan even if we're actually signing up for a new 2-year contract? Siri sounds like a data plan buster

That's what I found when I re-upped with AT&T. Unlimited data for $30.

Now, whether they *HONOR* that... dunno. But that's what I signed up for, and what it says on my order receipt.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-11, 14:41

Quote:

Is that much of a problem, though? I haven't found cell coverage to be particularly spotty these days. And if I'm way off in the middle of nowhere I'd hope I'd have better things to do than talk to my phone.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-11, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Is that much of a problem, though? I haven't found cell coverage to be particularly spotty these days. And if I'm way off in the middle of nowhere I'd hope I'd have better things to do than talk to my phone.
A man gets lonely, 'Box, so very lonely.

addabox
Veteran Member

2011-10-11, 17:09

Quote:
A man gets lonely, 'Box, so very lonely.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-10-11, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Natural language isn't marketing at all; it's a branch of AI.

My bad! Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-11, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Never forget.

From Jason Snell's review.

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-12, 03:38

Nice one, Brad!

I guess that's why Apple has labeled Siri as still in Beta...
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-10-12, 12:11

I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Honestly? Because I don't talk to my phone. I grok that Siri is some serious shit, but it requires you to stand around looking like a complete idiot issuing commands to your phone like you're pretending to be Kirk telling Scotty to beam him up for god's sake because he got all those aliens pregnant and they've almost caught up to him.
Today, Gruber said this:

Quote:
You might wonder, Hey, don’t you feel like a jerk walking around the city talking to your phone? But here’s the thing: Siri, by default, kicks in when you hold the iPhone up to your ear, so you can talk to it and it looks like you’re on a phone call.
Problem solved, complaint retracted. I suppose I should have known Apple would be smarter than I am.
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-10-13, 01:04

Siri might be a serial killer...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-10-13, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

Just came here to post that.

My favorite:

Nice bit of history there on how far the field of NLP has progressed.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-10-17, 03:57

At leasts some of the new iPhones use Sony sensors. The iPhone 4 used an OmniVision sensor. Sony is sort of the Intel of the imaging sensor world, so hooking up with them is a good way for Apple to stay at the cutting edge of developments.

Are you generally impressed with the camera in your iPhone 4S?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-17, 08:14

4 million iPhones in 3 days. Talk about a disappointment.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-17, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
At leasts some of the new iPhones use Sony sensors. The iPhone 4 used an OmniVision sensor. Sony is sort of the Intel of the imaging sensor world, so hooking up with them is a good way for Apple to stay at the cutting edge of developments.

Are you generally impressed with the camera in your iPhone 4S?

I had a few issues with some pictures after I imported them into iPhoto, but damn is this camera impressive.

It's nice to finally have a good camera in my picket at all times. I still love having my DSLR around, but having the 4S on hand for quick things is great.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.