User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

What is the best way to view iTunes Library from remote?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What is the best way to view iTunes Library from remote?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-16, 00:56

I know this has been talked about long ago but I'm looking for what is the best way now. Sure I can sync my phone or iPad to the library and get the movies I want on there and have them with me, but what about when I'm still away and watched them all. Or I just don't think about the fact that I wanted to watch that movie while I was gone so I didn't download it.

So what I would love to see is how others view their iTunes Library from remote. I'm open to third party software since it seems like the only route to use but maybe I'm just not thinking of all the options. Since this will likely be looked at by others, please be specific about the setup you have in mind. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about this even with Netflix, Prime Video, HBO GO and other streaming services out there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-17, 22:06

... crickets ...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-07-18, 09:12

I legitimately have no idea about this, hence, no response.
¡Damned!

2015-07-18, 11:22

What are you talking about I don't even
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2015-07-18, 13:18

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming turtle want's to access an iTune's library while away from home.

I suspect the best solution would be a home cloud server setup to support iTunes and then tunnel into your home network with a VPN.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-18, 19:54

Yeah, looks like a VPN set up might work with Home Sharing. Sadly, My VPNs won't put me on the same subnet as the rest of the network.

Plex is an option, but I don't really want to pay for Plex Pass if I don't have to. Basically I want it to be cheap as possible. Using what I already own is even better.

What I'm looking for is using my iTunes library like Netflix rather than having to pay for/use Netflix. I have more movies than I know what to do with and would like to be able to watch them on the go. I have iTunes Match for my music so I'm not worried about the music, just the Movies and TV Shows.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.