Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

OS X 10.3.9 - need friendly DSL router

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
OS X 10.3.9 - need friendly DSL router
DirectOR

2005-04-19, 13:36

Hi -

My Dad just downloaded the new OS X update - 10.3.9 - onto his iMac G5 (previously running 10.3.9) and it's blown up his DSL modem drivers. It was a German manufacturer - Herpstadt or something like that.

Applecare won't help him as "it's a 3rd party problem" and the manufacturer has said that it's aware of the problem with 3.9 but can't do anything about it. So my Dad's just going to buy a new one.

Can anyone recommend a dsl modem/router that will work with 10.3.9? If it has wireless capability so much the better.

He's based in UK so it'd have to be available here.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-19, 13:44

DSL modem drivers? Was it USB? Yuck.

Always always always always ask for an ethernet router/modem. They don't need any special drivers and simply work with any computer or device that has a standard ethernet jack.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-19, 13:46

Yeah, to be honest, I'd forgotten that there still *are* specialized wacky devices like that. They're tremendously flaky in general, and a royal pain in comparison to standalone modems with Enet ports.

See if his ISP has a model they offer on a monthly or one-time-fee basis. My ISP gives me mine for free, with a $300 charge if I break it or don't return it.
DirectOR

2005-04-19, 14:18

Thanks. Another question - he was told it would have to offer PPPoA support. Is that right? or can he just get any (wireless) ethernet router from linksys/belkin/dlink, etc?

Also, does it matter if it's a combined router/modem?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-04-19, 14:29

You probably mean PPPoE (PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) over Ethernet).

A combined router/modem should work, too.
johnd

2005-04-19, 15:23

An ADSL modem with integrated router and wireless should give you what you need. You could check http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/ to see what they would suggest for use with your father's ISP.

PPPoA (PPP over ATM) is used by quite a few providers in Europe, so yes, the modem would need to support it if the ISP says so.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-04-19, 15:40

Ooops, sorry. Thanks for the correction. I've never heard of PPPoA before ...