Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes Podcast questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes Podcast questions
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
SledgeHammer

2005-06-27, 23:21

Is there any word on when the next version of iTunes, the one with the podcasting additions, is set to roll out?

Also, it was clear from the Stevenote that you would be able to search podcasts in iTunes and subscribe to the ones you found there, but it wasn't clear whether or not you would also be able to use iTunes to subscribe to podcasts that weren't included in the iTunes podcast "store." Also, and I don't suppose there's any way for anyone to know this, do you think there will be a means for getting a podcast included in the iTunes "store."

(P.S. yes I know they're not selling podcasts, but I don't know what else to call it.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-27, 23:36

Something tells me tomorrow looks promising...
newMACer

2005-06-28, 03:17

Just downloaded iTunes 4.9. In the What's new section it says:
- Browse, subscribe and listen to podcasts
- Watch music videos

Clarification: got it from the Software Update. The Apple site is still showing 4.8.

Last edited by newMACer : 2005-06-28 at 03:19.
goingin

Send a message via ICQ to goingin  
2005-06-28, 03:30

Yep, it's available! http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ It does say 4.9

And the installer (Windows) says 4.9.0.17

Last edited by goingin : 2005-06-28 at 03:33.
newMACer

2005-06-28, 03:38

Yeah, now it is also listed on http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/. Earlier it wasn't.

By the way, the first time I clicked "What's new" from the Help home page, I got the two things I mentioned in my earlier post. But now, when I do the same, it lists "What's new in iTunes 4.8" and not 4.9! I am confused how it can happen, since it is not a web page that I am viewing that could have changed. Once I have downloaded it should be pretty static.
goingin

2005-06-28, 03:44

Hmm, I still see 'What's new in 4.9?', even when I click a couple of times. About also says 4.9.0.17. But it's not yet possible to download or subscribe to podcasts, is it? I don't see the link in iTMS...
newMACer

2005-06-28, 03:53

No, there doesn't seem to be anything about podcasting on the store yet, although if you click on the Podcasts link on the left in iTunes, you will get an idea of how it might work. The "Settings" and "Unsubscribe" button and the "Podcast Directory" link seem to be explanatory. I am on Mac and "About" for me says iTunes 4.9 (17) too, but the What's new is showing 4.8 and not listing Podcasts that I saw the first time.

Time for me to sleep (its 2 in the night), will catch up with what others find in the morning.

Edit: Couldn't sleep Quitting iTunes didn't help. So I restarted the machine and then on going to What's New for the first time, I saw 4.9. But second time onwards its 4.8 again

Last edited by newMACer : 2005-06-28 at 04:01.
goingin

2005-06-28, 05:09

Podcasts are now available through iTMS, but it's still not completely bugfree... For instance, when I subscribe to Inside Mac Radio, I get an error saying 'This computer is not authorized to play this episode'
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 05:35

You'll have to wait to they announce it. lol
goingin

2005-06-28, 05:53

Yeah, maybe. But I succesfully listened to Adam Curry's Daily Source Code and now I'm listening to iTunes New Music Tuesday
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 06:58

I can't beleive how much stuff they already have on there. And this is BEFORE they announce there MEGA announcement partner in Podcasting.

In two months Podcast will outnumber REAL music lol.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-28, 07:00

So can you only subscribe to podcasts through iTMS? That would suck, because I guess half the podcasts I listen to would never make it there ...
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 07:07

No, you can still subscribe to podcasts outside of iTunes. iTunes is jut being used as a way to advertise, organize and simplify Podcasting.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-28, 07:16

Cool, thanks! Can't wait to get home and download the update
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 07:40

I also notice that you don't have to have to sign in to iTunes to listen to Podcasts in iTunes.

You only have to sign in and have a username and password to subscribe to Podcasts. So it's nice that Apple isn't forcing people to sign up to iTunes to listen to something that's already free...

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-06-28 at 07:42.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-28, 09:26

What good podcasts are out there? I'd love for something like "This American Life" to be there but I doubt it will since episodes are sold through Audible.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-28, 09:31

Who wants to start the official AppleNova podcast?
Batman

2005-06-28, 09:43

Adam Curry's Daily Source Code is a pretty good podcast, even if you aren't interested in technology. He recomends other podcasts a few times every episode, so your bound to find something you like.

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-28, 09:49

If podcasts get big, and they will, the iPod will have a permanent place in history. Sure, they're already huge but give an entire medium a name and you're officially an icon. Cool.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 10:36

Yeah up there with Playstation, Nintendo and Coke....

Cool little feature is that Podcast might be have a chapters list so you can get to a part of the podcast(As seen with Apple's offical New tuesday Music Podcast). That'd be awesome to have the picture change when you get to a part of the Podcast talking about say the iPod and have the iPod mini down there...

So how do you add non-iTunes store Podcast stations to your list?

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-06-28 at 10:59.
Annon

Send a message via ICQ to Annon Send a message via AIM to Annon  
2005-06-28, 11:04

I think this is freaking great!!!!

I bought a Powerbook not to long ago so I can get the student union rebate. With that, I can get a 60GB iPod for $190. Even Creative's old Jukebox Zen Xtra is still $300 for a 60GB model.
goingin

2005-06-28, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
So how do you add non-iTunes store Podcast stations to your list?
Advanced > Subscribe to podcast
Or something like that, I don't have iTunes near me right now. Or you can just drag the URL to iTunes, that should work too.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
If podcasts get big, and they will, the iPod will have a permanent place in history. Sure, they're already huge but give an entire medium a name and you're officially an icon. Cool.
I agree, however...I think the iPod is already an icon. It has been compared to the Walkman, and everyone knows what a Walkman is. In 20 years when my kids are walking around with their 25tb iPods with interactive holographic displays, I'll look back and remember that first brick of an iPod, the on that held 5gb. The original. And even if the iPod doesn't sustain this type of popularity, it will never be forgotten.

Come waste your time with me
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 14:40

So...are we going to get a new menu item on our iPods for Podcasts? I've got a 20GB 3G model and I'd hope they would include it in a software update.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
rasmits
rams it

2005-06-28, 14:53

I'm having trouble subscribing. It keeps giving me an error...
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 15:29

Subscribing to what? That would help. Now I can see why there is a bug button on the Podcasting pages.
rasmits
rams it

2005-06-28, 15:31

Quote:
Subscribing to what? That would help. Now I can see why there is a bug button on the Podcasting pages.
Anything. I can't subscribe to anything.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 15:45

Ah, you got 4.9 and you log into iTunes Music store, right?

The only thing I'm having problems with is CBC news, but it's trying to download issue #5...which iTunes Music Store doesn't have yet, so it's trying to download it from the URL of said website...

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-06-28 at 15:47.
rasmits
rams it

2005-06-28, 15:53

Quote:
Ah, you got 4.9 and you log into iTunes Music store, right?

The only thing I'm having problems with is CBC news, but it's trying to download issue #5...which iTunes Music Store doesn't have yet, so it's trying to download it from the URL of said website...
Well yes... But I click subscribe and nothing shows up in the podcast list. I don't get the error anymore.

It worked the first time I tried it. I subscribed to the Inside Mac Radio thing. Then I tried the Al Franken show and Pete and Geoff and neither work.

edit: I tried New Music Tuesdays and it shows up in my list, but nothing downloads. It says it's an invalid URL.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 15:58

Yeah, maybe it's a server overload...