User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

spotlight losing its index temporarily?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
spotlight losing its index temporarily?
chinesebear

2005-07-10, 11:57

I've been having periodic problems with spotlight...of course i can't replicate it consistently, but it seems to happen when i've got multiple users logged on and have been switching back and forth a little bit (my wife and i like to have our own users for all our stuff...) anyways, spotlight seems to lose its index for my home directory. I am using file vault to encrypt it, so this may add to the difficulty. When it seems to lose the index, i've tried to put my home directory to the "private" list and then remove it in order to reindex it. Unfortunately, it won't even allow it to go private. I've got to log out and log back in and then spotlight works fine....it can see my home directory no problem. I can get around the problem fine...but it is a pain . Has anyone else seen or experienced this problem and is there anything i can do instead of logging out and back in?
thanks