Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iChat AV Video problem with AIM

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iChat AV Video problem with AIM
mvalenstein

2005-09-05, 18:39

Hello,
I currently and using a Powerbook 15" 1.33Ghz 2GB RAM... with OS 10.4.2 and an iSight. I am having trouble connecting to do video conferencing with my friends who use AIM (windows). Whenever I initiate a video chat (2-way) it says "Starting video chat with..." and it never connects. It leaves the feed from my camera blank on their screen and I never see them. Also, if they initiate the video chat, I choose accept, and it tries to start it but it gives me the message: "The video failed to start because [i] did not respond."

I know that it works for me because I've videoconferenced with one of my friends who uses iChat with an iSight. This same friend however, has successfully had a video chat with the person using AIM that I am trying to connect to. My friend with the iMac is running 10.4.2 and the latest iChat (so am I). I am at a loss for ideas. Does anyone have a thought why mine might not work and my friend's does?

Thanks
skid_boy_99

2005-09-07, 07:17

I had precisely this problem as well.

Worked connecting to another iChat user but AIM was not working. On the AIM side the video icon for me just disappeared one day.

Tried uninstalling AIM and the video component then reinstalling, no luck. Also reinstalled the webcam, no luck.

Solution? Moved it onto another PC. Overkill, yes. Less troublesome than spending hours to fix some lame-ass windows problem though ;-)