Mossberg: Apple working on cellphone, media hub

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mossberg: Apple working on cellphone, media hub
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 09:11

http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20060609.html

Very interesting short editorial from Walt Mossberg. Everybody knows he's a big Apple apologist, but he speaks in this article as if he has solid, inside information. He claims rather mater-of-factly that Apple is working on a cellphone and a home media hub.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Mossberg doesn't indicate where he got his information, so it may well be that he's citing rumors without saying they're rumors, but maybe he does know something. I think a home media hub would be great, but I don't understand everybody wanting Apple to go into the cellphone business (then again, 5 years ago we diddn't understand why they might make an audio player).

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? Or is Mossberg just full of it?

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Is it 1981?

2006-05-11, 09:27

Didn't His Steve-ness hint at the media hub recently? "We hear you loud and clear," or something like that?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981?
Didn't His Steve-ness hint at the media hub recently? "We hear you loud and clear," or something like that?
Yes, he did just that at the shareholder meeting. I think a media center makes perfect sense. It's the cellphone part that I can't quite grasp fully. I know if anybody can pull it off, it's Apple, but I don't know why they would want to.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-11, 09:46

I can think of a cell phone in this manner: my ex brother-in-law (who just graduated from college and leaves in three weeks to Redmond to work at Microsoft) has the neatest cell phone.

It's got Wi-Fi, USB, a memory card slot, a camera, e-mail, etc. All this stuff. And the little software/desktop on the screen is like a little Windows XP. Little Windows logo, icons, etc. I've just held it and monkeyed with it in a basic way, so I don't know every little thing. But he loves it and it seems to do just about anything in the world in terms of connectivity, file transfer, communication and new/info access.

It's about $300, but I'd pay that if it were built on a foundation of solid Apple goodness, style, usability, compatibility, etc.

If Apple did something that way, tied in with .Mac and the iCal, iSync, iTunes and iPhoto apps (contacts, appointments, have songs and photos easily transferrable to and from), was solid and "felt like a Mac/OS X" in its basic usage, let me get online or check e-mail from any Wi-Fi spot, etc., I'd throw this cheap little Samsung flip phone I've got out into the street and get one in a heartbeat!

At that point, the bulk of my reasons for wanting a laptop (remote e-mail/Internet access) pretty much go away and I'd just get a nice 17" iMac Core Duo for my "real Mac using" needs (this is assuming Apple never does a little tablet type of thing or full-on PDA).

If Apple's got something truly "Apple-y", from top to bottom/inside-and-out, like THAT in the works (and not some ugly, "who cares?" thing like the Cingular ROKR that they really have nothing to do with, other than throwing some iTunes music on there), I'd certainly be interested...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-05-11, 09:58

Apple needs to have a replacement for the iPod. Music freaks will always want something like an iPod to carry days/weeks(months?) of music on them at all times, but casual music listeners would probably be sated with whatever amount of music can fit on their phone.

Other then number of songs, my concern would be battery life. I like having a phone I can use all week without having to recharge it. If I'm also listening to music on it regularly I imagine I would have to get in the habit of recharging my phone daily.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-05-11, 10:02

Remember y'all that in Europe right now and a lot of Asia teh intraweeb is going wireless - totally! A phone and media hub in light of the iPod is not so far out there...

T-Mobile is rolling out internet phone access in monthly unlimited pacakges which is as fast as a lot of home users wired internet....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-05-11, 10:57

I've never owned a mobile phone, but if Apple did what 'scates described ... .Mac connectivity, iSync, iTunes, iCal, AddressBook, photos, notes, etc I'd feel the same way he does. I'd have little need for a portable computer and could just carry around that one gadget. Perhaps even leave the iPod at home for day to day activities, saving it for long plane trips and the like instead. I'm open to that ... however, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

On another slightly related point:

I'm a Toto nut () and NewMBC has put together this website/network where the band are filming behind the scenes stuff on tour. It also has direct access to the band and other correspondents whom, I think, are using some sort of fully equipped mobile phone to send the video-casts back to the website.

If Apple sees this type of interaction as the future of internet communication services then this could be a good time/opportunity for them to release something of this nature as part of their product line.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
sk8since89

2006-05-11, 12:05

I hope the Moss man is right. I want both. Cool gadgets are whats selling right now. Could there be a better time to release a cell phone?
TednDi

2006-05-11, 17:43

Throw in front row support a la salling clicker and Steve's got my money!

Who am I kidding, he has my money anyway.

....where did i put those ipod socks again?

alschmid

2006-05-11, 17:48

Quote:
It's got Wi-Fi, USB, a memory card slot, a camera, e-mail, etc. All this stuff. (...)

It's about $300, but I'd pay that if it were built on a foundation of solid Apple goodness, style, usability, compatibility, etc.
I'd buy that instantly, especially coming from Apple. But I'd wait for rev B...
Ghost2

2006-05-11, 18:35

Well I tend to think that Mossberg is correct about apples future products because he really does have a special relationship with apple. A good example of this special relationship is his receiving the intel imac several weeks before its actual release. But I still do not think that apple will make a dedicated iPhone, but what I think is much more plausible would be for apple to integrate a phone into the iPod. To me it makes much more sense to put a phone into an already successful music player, rather than branch out with a completely new product. Microsoft hinted that they would release a similar product in the near future. This also paves the way for a mobile itms that is accessible directly on your iPod, which could boost apple's music sales substantially.
rasmits
rams it

2006-05-11, 18:57

Why would Walt risk his 'special relationship' with Apple by telling everyone their super secret plans?

Wouldn't that be the quickest way to Steve's naughty list?
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-05-11, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Why would Walt risk his 'special relationship' with Apple by telling everyone their super secret plans?

Wouldn't that be the quickest way to Steve's naughty list?
Who says Apple doesn't like some leaks?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 19:11

Mossberg has no information that you or I don't already know. However, he's a tech journalist and a big time tech journalist at that. This is simply a prediction based on things he's heard. He knows nothing that isn't already out there for the masses to see.

Come waste your time with me
k squared

2006-05-11, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
It could be, as hiltond wrote, Apple's way of testing the reaction of the public. Politicians leak information all the time about proposed bills/programs -- kind of a non-official poll.
GladToBeHere

2006-05-11, 21:11

The cool part of being an Apple fan is knowing that at it's heat, Apple remains a harware company. That means new STUFF, including new software, leading to more ways to waste time.

I love it. Without this comapny, I'd have a life. :-)
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-05-11, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladToBeHere
The cool part of being an Apple fan is knowing that at it's heat, Apple remains a harware company. That means new STUFF, including new software, leading to more ways to waste time.

Me, too.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-11, 22:47

Quote:
Quote of the day.
nitelight

2006-05-12, 03:37

Could Apple buy a couple of satelites, then launch their own phone and network service world wide?
Ghost2

2006-05-12, 05:00

Quote:
I wouldn't .
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-12, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitelight
Could Apple buy a couple of satelites, then launch their own phone and network service world wide?
If Apple wanted to go bankrupt in the process, sure, maybe.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 06:35

i guess when apple makes an advertisement about you, that affords you special inside information

does walt mossberg have apple stock?
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 10:29

Here's an idea: In a thread somewhere here on the 'Nova, someone posted a mockup of an iPod Mini converted to a phone by virtue of a slide out keypad feature. I rather liked the look of it, and it got me thinking. What if they did such a thing, and replaced the hdd with flash. That could free up some space, and make room for a second battery. One battery to run the phone, and 1 to run the iPod features.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-12, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
What if they did such a thing, and replaced the hdd with flash. That could free up some space, and make room for a second battery. One battery to run the phone, and 1 to run the iPod features.
The price would be insane.
bytor

2006-05-12, 11:30

I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse but ponder it for a moment. It would be nice to have this as a centralized "media source" hooked up to your computer. You could keep all of your media (assuming a giant hard drive) on your mac and would be able to control it in your living room. In addition, having a phone (cradled or wi/fi) would allow you to sync iCal, photos, muisc and whatso ever so everything is updated instaneously so you would never miss an appointment, call, message, etc. If this were coupled with "push" technology, it could all be synced through your .mac account. Then your mac would not only keep your media in check but your life as well. I see tons of people at the gym carrying keys, an ipod, a phone, etc from machine to machine. I am sure this happens elsewhere as well. It would give the individual the ability to consolidate all into one device and would simplify everything. I do this now with a Palm Treo but it takes a little work an some 3rd party software. It would be nice to be able to make a change and have it update everywhere without having to think about it.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
The price would be insane.
Sure, but when you get the Cell carriers to subsidize like they do every other phone, you should be able to get it somewhere around the oringial price of the Mini.
Bancho

2006-05-12, 12:57

Aw, c'mon Chucker, it's not about the price. It's all about the dream!

I think the new device will be an iPhonePodTablet...

ps - Zippy, when those bastard phone carriers subsidize, they also decide what features they "let" you take advantage of.
patrickatm08

Send a message via AIM to patrickatm08  
2006-05-12, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
i guess when apple makes an advertisement about you, that affords you special inside information

does walt mossberg have apple stock?
Mossberg would have to have lots of stock to be considered an "insider" and I doubt that he owns enough to gain this status.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-05-12, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickatm08
Mossberg would have to have lots of stock to be considered an "insider" and I doubt that he owns enough to gain this status.
I think the poster you quoted was talking about inside information, not an insider as it relates to stock trading, the SEC and Martha Stewart.

Walt Mossberg's name was used in the latest round of Apple computer TV ads. (The WallStreet one)
BizMac

2006-05-12, 15:40

One of the reason to sell an Apple phone, despite the technolgy convergence with the Ipod, could be that in Japan:

"Downloading music to mobile phones has proved to be more popular than Apple Computer Inc.'s (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) iTunes music store"

But it is just one reason to keep the downloading rate of the Itunes Music Store
That's why they should deal with Japanese partnerships, before a release in US...

Last edited by BizMac : 2006-05-12 at 16:00.