ESPN Fires Harold Reynolds

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ESPN Fires Harold Reynolds
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-25, 19:38

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14026863/

ESPN had an article on their site for a short time, but they seem to have pulled it.

Does anyone know why this happened? His last on-air appearance was apparently Sunday on Baseball Tonight, but I didn't catch the show. Did he say or do something on-air, or is this some political bullshit that will never come to light?

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
digitalprimate

2006-07-25, 20:03

Maybe he ate the last chocolate bonbon during a meeting with the channel's president...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-25, 20:35

Well, in the article they're being very dodgy and skittish about it all...offering NO info or reasons whatsoever. The standard PR bullcrap thing is to say "we parted ways, but we wish him the best" or "I'm off to pursue new horizons" or whatever.

For there to be such a tight lid on it, makes me think he did something kinda bad. Not necessarily on air (we'd know about it). Maybe bad-mouthed the powers that be? Habitually groped co-workers?

It'll be known in time. Nothing stays a secret forever these days, with the Internet, 24/7 news, blogs, e-mail, etc.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-07-25, 20:50

Wow.

I didn't realize Peter Gammons wasn't on air either. Who's left on that show? John Kruk?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-07-25, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Habitually groped co-workers?
Maybe...

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/w...axe-189733.php

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-07-25, 21:19

Good research all around, have a cookie.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-25, 22:03

I'de rather have

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-26, 08:38

Never one to be quiet, Reynolds has admitted his firing was for sexual harassment, but disputes the merit of the woman's claim:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14026863/

As everyone who's ever been fired for inappropriate contact says, "It was just a hug." Innocent or not, Harold, you can't go around touching people in the workplace, particularly in a way that can be percieved as intimate. That's just stupid.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-26, 09:23

Yeah, but then there are hugs and then there are HUGS. I see people in workplaces act friendly all the time. Or hug upon good news or as a greeting. It's sad that we get to a point where stuff like that can be seen as bad, across the board, no ifs, ands or buts.

It's down to the person, both the giver and receiver.

We've gotten just a little out of hand with all this office/workplace politics and procedure stuff. Yes, there's real harassment. Certainly there is. But every genuine compliment, or every hand on a shoulder doesn't automatically qualify. It shouldn't...that's insane! You take this stuff on a case-by-case basis.

I'd be curious to know if this guy is known as the office horndog, and has a long history of unwelcome, gross advances.

Or if he merely gave someone a "hey, our ratings are up...congrats, gang!" hug and lost his job for it because the person he hugged "felt violated" in some way. Don't think for a minute there aren't people out there - male and female - who adhere to these office "rules" and seem to like nothing better than making a mountain out of every molehill they can. I've worked with these types, both sexes. They're impossible to deal with on ANY level. They constantly create upheaval and havoc. They're constantly down at HR filing a grievance or looking to get someone busted.

Don't get me wrong: if this guy truly did some bad things, he's gone. Fine with me. But I'd like to know the specifics. If his idea of a "hug" involves a neck nuzzle, an ass grab, a gentle pelvic thrust/grind and a whisper of "Mmm-mmm...I wanna tear that booty UP, girl"...then he's a flaming idiot and probably got what he deserved.

That's why I say there are hugs, then there are HUGS...

I'm sure we'll know all the sordid details soon enough.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-26, 09:27

Whatever happened to good old days of boss banging secretary on top of copiers?

Yeah, things were much simpler back then.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-26, 09:32

Hope you're not being a smart-ass, because if you're making that leap from what I said above...

There is real harassment. There are genuine, 100% pervs and horndogs who totally cross the line every single day, and are completely oblivious to it (or simply too arrogant to care). That's a problem. Nobody with a brain denies that. And if this ESPN guy falls into that category, then he's gone. He got what was coming.

But good people have gotten in trouble over NOTHING. There's that side of it too.

And just for general information: in every place I've ever worked the past 15-20 years (except maybe one), it would be the secretary who would be banging the boss on the copier if she had her way! These 20-somethings, raised on "Ally McBeal" and "Sex in the City", turned on by a 40-50 year old handsome guy with power, money and a snazzy car. THEY'RE the ones I hear making the comments, dressing really inappropriately for the job, putting themselves into situations to "get noticed", flirting outrageously, clustered together in the hall or break room gossiping and rumor-mongering, making ass-grabbing or "ohmigod, he's HOT!" gestures when certain guys walk by, etc.

Women can be just as bad - if not worse! - than guys when it comes to the whole "leering, inappropriate horndog" schtick. Seen it with my own peepers (and been on the actual receiving end of it a couple of times too).

I guess that's "progress"? I don't know...

A two-way street, I've observed. It ISN'T all "big mean guys, chasing helpless defenseless little girls". Not by a long shot!

If it's consensual, people can bang on the copier all they want. Preferably not when I'm trying to use it.

But nobody here is longing for "the good old days" of genuine predatory, violating behavior. Just want to make that clear.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-07-26 at 09:45.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-26, 09:46

I was being sarcastic about the whole thing; you already described how the whole affair has gotten complicated, about how there are Ally McBeals, Miss Goody-Two-Shoes-Who-Loves-Lawsuits, Mr. Schwarzenegroper and that filthy custy old man as compared to the "old days".

Not that "old days" are any better than the current affairs; it just seems to be more out in the open. Before, you did it in whispers and in dark corners. Now, you do it by grabbling and flashing your private parts. I seem to hear sexual harrassment case with a Mr. X or Ms. Y maybe once a month lately and I can't help but feel that everyone is going in extremes: half of them are sexually tightwad that would make a nun proud and other half are on a total sex-matic pilot and would put $10 hooker to shame.

Ah, I'm just rambling. I'll shut up.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-26, 09:49

We had a gal at work where we'd place bets as to whether she was going to be wearing thongs or nothing.

It was like trying to guess heads or tails.

However, she made sure that everyone got a really good look, at any opportunity. She didn't last too long though, a number of men and women started complaining.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-26, 09:50

It's weird, because a) in some ways is IS "more in the open", but b) it's countered by all the rules and procedures in place. So it's all messed up. You frankly don't know what's considered "harassment" (vs. what really IS), who to smile to, how long to smile, etc. You're second-guessing every sentence out of your mouth, pre-editing it "just in case". You don't look or stare at anyone, lingering too long on them (because you might be "ogling their titties"). So yeah...it's out in the open, but no one knows what the hell they're doing anymore, on EITHER side of it. It's like a bunch of monkeys trying to do algebra...mildly amusing at first, but ultimately kinda sad and pathetic.

And it's tied to the person too, frankly. I've seen genuine harassers (true predators and clueless horndogs) glossed over and ignored because of who they were in the company, or who they knew. Stuff like that. Yet, I've seen others (who didn't wield any power or influence) totally raked over the coals for a hug or comment that, in a sane world, no one would think twice about. So when you see that happen a few times, it gets really hard to take HR and all the finger-waggers seriously. They wind up harming the very cause they're supposedly seeking to address.

"Oh, I get it...these three shitheads caught yanking it in the conference room get a pass because that's Mr. Kendall's nephew and his two friends. But Ron there in marketing...you're going to send him to sensitivity training and write him up because he told Sherry in shipping that he liked her blouse? Glad you folks are on the job...keep up the good work!"

It's a confusing mess. The best way to deal with it is just to not talk to ANYONE in the course of your workday. Bring your iPod, close your door and don't look at anyone! Then you're just a "standoff-ish geek". But hey, at least you're not "staring at ass!". That there's a hangin' offense 'round these parts.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-07-26 at 10:14.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-26, 09:58

Pscates 2.0, you just got my sentiment I was trying to convey earlier just exactly right.

My hat off to you.

And I don't talk to co-workers strangers.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-07-26, 10:02

I liked Reynolds but his monotone was a bit annoying. They can find better guys...and John Kruk is just lame - even as a diehard Phillies phan, I must say, Kruk is pretty close to being mentally handicapped. I guess he's got the Babe Ruth charm going or something. And Gammons is only gone because he's ill, right?

They should have a guy like Larry Anderson on there (another former Phillie) who is colorful, smart, and knowledgeable.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-26, 10:11

I liked that one guy they had on a few years ago. He had dark hair and appeared to be in his 40's. Sorry, I don't remember his name. But he did a nice job.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about Kruk. The few times I watch him, I just have that "Otis" music from "Superman" in my head. Dum-de-dum-de-doo-doo.

I didn't know Gammons had a brain aneurysm.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-07-26, 10:15

Hasn't this guy seen the training video that Tom Brady put together?

Sexual Harassment and You
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-07-26, 10:33

I've always liked Brady. (Not like that.)

And the video should also disabuse those who are still under the impression that they look good in Fruit of the Looms.

sich für jemanden genieren!!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-26, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I didn't know Gammons had a brain aneurysm.

Good news is, he's recovering well, and he's expected to return. Probably not this season, but his doctors apparently expect him to be able to retun in some capacity next year.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-26, 11:45

I don't know who this fella is, as I am not an american, but from the description, I am picturing him like this:

http://tinyurl.com/jsnqlNSFW if you are scared of seeing a hard on.

Ron Burgundy would actually argue that it is a pattern in the pants.

"Don't act like you're not impressed"

Last edited by Fahrenheit : 2006-07-26 at 12:01.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-26, 11:46

You know... a warning would have been nice.

I don't know, something like NSFW, I suppose?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-26, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
You know... a warning would have been nice.

I don't know, something like NSFW, I suppose?
No kidding. I'm at work right now myself, and that could have been embarassing/troublesome. Good thing I'm imaging a lab and not at my desk.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-07-26, 11:48

If that's NSFW, your workplace is pretty up-tight. Both of you.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-26, 11:51

Don't blame the worker; blame the workplace.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-26, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Don't blame the worker; blame the workplace.
Nah, I blame the culture. I'm not afraid of erections, but I think most people are embarassed by the mere thought of them.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-26, 12:27

Fine. But as a rule of thumb, if your workplace is so uptight that those images cant be seen, then you really shouldnt be looking at non-work websites anyway.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-07-26, 12:29

Since I have spent time working for ESPN, I have heard stories over the years from inside the "campus" in Bristol.

Strange place, couldn't get me to work there in a MILLION years! I met a girl once who was a full time Bristol/ESPN employee, she was good looking, and before any of us "daily hires" got a chance to talk to her, some of the male Bristol/ESPN types let us know that if we even talked to her we ran the chance of being brought up on Harrasment charges!

Seems that she had charged several guys over the last couple of years for just asking her if she would like to go to dinner sometime.

Not trying to excuse Harold or blame him. Just saying that there seems to be an over abundance of whack jobs at that place!!

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-26, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love
Seems that she had charged several guys over the last couple of years for just asking her if she would like to go to dinner sometime.

Not trying to excuse Harold or blame him. Just saying that there seems to be an over abundance of whack jobs at that place!!
Wow... so much for the general "you can ask someone out once" rule. I have a professor that does quite a bit of work for ESPN. Maybe I'll ask him about this.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-26, 12:34

Ha...I KNEW that Linda Cohn was a hardcase!