User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
laptops.
preston

2006-10-05, 12:27

I bought a Titanuim 15" powerbook the very last day they made them, and it's time for a new one. I want to sell it before I start having issues with it, and while I can still get some money for it. So some questions for you:

• Is ebay the best place to sell it? And how much should I expect for it?
Like I said, it's 15", 40g hard drive, 812 mhz processor, 512 RAM, with a combo drive. My AppleCare ran out 3 weeks ago. The screen has been replaced and there is hardly any wear or scratches on the casing (other than some on the trackpad.)

I want to get a new laptop. Im kind of leaning towards a Macbook, because of the price, but I am weary of the Rosetta factor. I am a graphic designer, and will be doing some Illustrator & Photoshop work on it, but not nearly as much as I did on my powerbook when I was in college. My 'design job' kinda sucks the life out of me and i dont design on my computer too much at home. If I get a Macbook and load it with RAM, do you think that it will work for me? Or should I just suck it up, pay the extra, and get a Macbook Pro?

I am planning on waiting until the Macbooks get updated to purchase, (hopefully within the next few weeks or so) but I do want something fairly soon. I dont know if I want to wait until spring....

thanks!

Last edited by preston : 2006-10-05 at 13:54. Reason: i confuse m's & g's sometimes.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
812 ghz processor
OMG I'LL BUY IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, I don't know about the resale value of the TiBooks, so...

Quote:
I want to get a new laptop. Im kind of leaning towards a Macbook, because of the price, but I am weary of the Rosetta factor. I am a graphic designer, and will be doing some Illustrator & Photoshop work on it, but not nearly as much as I did on my powerbook when I was in college. My 'design job' kinda sucks the life out of me and i dont design on my computer too much at home. If I get a Macbook and load it with RAM, do you think that it will work for me? Or should I just suck it up, pay the extra, and get a Macbook Pro?

I am planning on waiting until the Macbooks get updated to purchase, (hopefully within the next few weeks or so) but I do want something fairly soon. I dont know if I want to wait until spring....

thanks!
Even running under Rosetta, the MacBook will be WAY faster than working with the old TiBook. Rosetta's only slow compared to the very most recent PPC Macs. Don't let Rosetta scare you.

You won't have to wait until spring for the MacBook to be upgraded. Apple is very serious about regaining market share, and they won't go into the holidays with a 6-month-old notebook model. Look for them to be upgraded this month.

As far as the RAM goes, why do you think you need 2 GB? The MacBook Pro offers no major improvements in PhotoShop, as PS is processor-intensive, and the processors are essentially the same. You probably don't need 2 GB of RAM, but it can't hurt. I'd recommend getting a MacBook with at least 1GB RAM, and if you feel like you need it, a nice big display to hook it up to at home.

[edit]Oh, I just noticed you're new. Welcome to AppleNova!

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
preston

2006-10-05, 14:20

Quote:
As far as the RAM goes, why do you think you need 2 GB?
i've read on other websites that Adobe CS2 lags a bit with Rosetta, & jamming it full of RAM helps that situation. But, I suppose, compared to the machine I'm currently on, the speed will make me dizzy.

Thank you....I feel better about not going Pro this time. I kind of purchased my last one without doing research and spent way too much money. And now im perpetually broke and need to be more careful
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
i've read on other websites that Adobe CS2 lags a bit with Rosetta, & jamming it full of RAM helps that situation. But, I suppose, compared to the machine I'm currently on, the speed will make me dizzy.

Thank you....I feel better about not going Pro this time. I kind of purchased my last one without doing research and spent way too much money. And now im perpetually broke and need to be more careful
No problem. I'm glad I could help you out.