AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Pismo Personification Problem

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pismo Personification Problem
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-10-22, 03:32

Here is the scoop. I have a Pismo with 5 years of loyal service. This computer is a great buddy of mine and I take it everywhere. I tend to think of the Pismo as one of the best designed laptops by Apple (features/size/reliability). However, don't tell my Pismo, but it is starting to show its age. I've had my eye on a tempting 1Ghz G3 upgrade (I have 400Mhz) for $375 and 512MB ram for $97 (for a total of 1GB).

This has all been wishful dreaming until the audio port stopped working a few days ago. I found instructions to reach the audio port so I could fix it. (I'm hoping it is just a loose connection that a bend or a bit of solder could fix). Unfortunately, you have to remove every-single-thing to get to it, which makes it super easy to upgrade yet troublesome to fix.

I think these upgrades should kick some new life into my Pismo for at least another few years. I don't really need power (I have a Dual G5 for that) but I don't really need a new laptop either. I use my G5 for video editing, DVDSP, video compression, web serving, and SETI. You know, stuff that needs power. But I use my laptop for E-Mail (under classic), wireless networking on campus/coffee shops, simple photoshop projects, and watching DVD's. (In fact, one of the main reasons for the upgrade is that I can A-L-M-O-S-T play the DVD-quality .AVI's at full framerate that I make on my G5. Now that I have a HDTV card, I can export darn-good, DVD-quality TV to watch on the laptop)

My Question:
"Would this be a good "hold-me-over" until new laptops are released, or am I beating a dead horse?" or "Is it better to buy a new laptop in a month or so, or invest in these upgrades for a few more years of use?" (Perhaps wait for G5 laptops )

Thanks;
-Ebby

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
racepres

2004-10-25, 18:08

Just my 2 cents that may not be worth it??? I upgraded my 1400c awhile back and my experience is that if what you desire is only more speed this is a perfect route. Most people (me too in some ways) really want all the new bells and whistles to go w/ the speed and maybe just the "new". There is no sense of new w/ an upgrade... I would do it again but I would not think that it would hold me for more than a year, before the yearn hits again!!!! You will end up w/ another mac period. It is just putting it off to upgrade. I look at it as a bit of time to save a bit more $$ and the wife and friends don't see upgrades so they are sure I deserve it when I do get a new "book" and of course the "old faithfull" deserves to stay w/ me also cause it served so well and looooong.. :smokey:
Big ass help huh???
Sign me off Greedy!!!!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-10-25, 18:13

You'd be better off putting the upgrade $$, and the $$ you'd get for selling yours, towards an iBook G4, with a much faster bus, bigger and faster HD, waaay better video, etc.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-10-25, 20:25

Personified Pismo, eh?

What's it's name? Is it in character?

As for your conundrum, I'd suggest waiting until MWSF to see what Apple releases.
Your Pismo has 2 bays (a bonus) but as mentioned, crappy bus, gpu, wireless, etc.
You might get a few hundred bucks for it on eBay, combined with what you might spend extending its life and an iBook or PB might be a better investment.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-25, 20:35

the Pismo's are selling for $300 - $400+ dollars on ebay. the upgrades would run you another $475.

that's an iBook right there with a student discount. sorry, but this one is a no brainer. come join the OSX community with real DVD quality playback.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2004-10-25, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Personified Pismo, eh?
What's it's name? Is it in character?
Its name is Portabella, and it defiantly has a attitude. Fortunatly a cooperative one, unlike some computers that will go unmentioned...

I haven't decided yet on what to do. If I were a betting man, I would say G5 powerbooks would come out next year, and that seems like a good replacement for my Pismo. The only dilemma is: I could upgrade and squeeze as much life as possible out of my Pismo until G5 Powerbooks come out, or purchase a new (very tempting) Powerbook now. I'm leaning towards the 2-part solution just a bit.

Decisions, decisions...

racepres

2004-10-26, 09:19

LMK if ya decide to give up yer pismo!!! Good luck in yer decision ... One thing someone told me that made alot of sense. If you go w/ a new machine (or upgrade) You should get twice the performance, or it will not be worth it. Seems like good advice. Me I would do whatever allowed me to end up w/ 2!!! Good luck whatever you decide...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-26, 09:26

I totally have to side with FFL and alcimedes on this. I do understand the feeling of attachment and loyalty to such a reliable, solid performer, but these iBook G4s are quite an unbeatable package right now, besting the Pismo in nearly every way. All the upgrades (some of the them quite expensive) in the world won't get that Pismo to anything approaching the iBook, especially in terms of OS X performance and usability.

Just my honest two cents.

Since you've got a nice G5 for any true "heavy lifting", maybe that new 12" iBook G4 that came out just last week is the ticket? It's $999, but as a student, you'd get it for $50-100 less (I haven't checked, so I don't know the actual discount).

That's what I would do, but I realize it's different for each person, and lots of other things tend to factor in that we're not aware of. Good luck with it.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-03-10, 15:53

A dead horse if I ever saw one.

$500 in upgrades to reach sub-iBook performance is ridiculous, and there's no telling how much more repairs are in store after that. When $1000 buys you a far faster machine and a warranty, the choice is obvious. It's not a sunk cost. You can always sell the iBook. G5 PB or not, dual core G4 PB or not, the iBook is not going to get the same upgrade at the same time and you are going to recoup a lot of the investment when you buy the Powerbook.. that is, if you still want it. You state it yourself: there's not that much need for power in a laptop when you have a powerful desktop.

The only thing I would like to be able to do on the latest gen iBook, and can't, is to watch high-res HD video. Tried 720p, no way it would run. Maybe it's a software issue.. but neighbor's AthlonM 2600+ couldn't do it either, not xvid, not wmv.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-10, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari

$500 in upgrades to reach sub-iBook performance is ridiculous, and there's no telling how much more repairs are in store after that. When $1000 buys you a far faster machine and a warranty, the choice is obvious. It's not a sunk cost. You can always sell the iBook. G5 PB or not, dual core G4 PB or not, the iBook is not going to get the same upgrade at the same time and you are going to recoup a lot of the investment when you buy the Powerbook.. that is, if you still want it. You state it yourself: there's not that much need for power in a laptop when you have a powerful desktop.

The only thing I would like to be able to do on the latest gen iBook, and can't, is to watch high-res HD video. Tried 720p, no way it would run. Maybe it's a software issue.. but neighbor's AthlonM 2600+ couldn't do it either, not xvid, not wmv.
You realize this thread is 5 months old, don't you?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-10, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
Where's the Irony smiley?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2005-03-10, 18:16

Thanks anyways. I decided to stick with it until new powerbooks come out. The screen problem had gotten a little worse, but far from unusable.

I waiting for some revolutionary advancement in Powerbook hardware/software before I upgrade. (Don't think the latest 15" didn't get my intrest...)

AndrewH

2005-05-06, 12:16

Hey Ebby, glad to hear you stuck with the pismo. I've had mine for 5 years as well, and was debating between upgrades or a newer G4 powerbook. After much debate did the G4 550 upgrade, as well as a 7200 rpm 60 G hard drive and 1 G ram. And couldn't be happier, personally. Still goes everywhere like a tank, by bicycle, motorcycle, etc. Will be getting an iMac this year, but for what I use it for, the upgrades worked out great and plan on getting a few more years of loyal use out of it.