User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

The cost of an iPhone service plan

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The cost of an iPhone service plan
chun

2007-05-09, 22:53

Here is a good article talking about iPhone service charge from TUAW.

The rub with the iPhone isn't the price of the device itself, but rather the unknown price of the phone plan you'll be required to buy along with it. When I buy an iPod, it is mine free and clear. I don't need to pay a monthly service charge (which is signed in blood) to ensure that the darned thing will continue to function. That won't be the case with the iPhone. I'm almost certain that you will not be able to buy an 'unlocked' iPhone (that is an iPhone that you can use on any network, without having to buy a plan) for at least a year after its introduction.

'But how much could a phone plan cost?'

The truth is, we don't know yet. AT&T and Apple could be cooking up some special deal for iPhone buyers, but for the sake of argument let's just look at AT&T's current rates (as listed on Cingular.com) for the type of services that you would want on your iPhone to take advantage of all those super cool features. Here's the breakdown:
450 minutes talktime per month (includes 5000 nights and weekend minutes): $39.99
Smartphone Connect Unlimited (this is unlimited data transfer, since an internet communicator is sort of pointless with a data transfer cap): $19.99
Messenger Starter (200 text messages per month, unlimited texts to other AT&T customers): $9.99

That's a grand total of $69.97 in services for your iPhone before taxes (and that's kind of on the low end of the available services. I'm sure lots of people will want more talk time, or more text messages.). Now, let's assume that Apple and AT&T will only require that you sign up for a year (I'm betting the iPhone will require a 2 year contract), that translates to about $839.64 for the first year of services (before taxes once again). Tack on $500 for the iPhone itself
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-05-09, 23:17

The awfully named "MEdia Max" plans are a better deal. The same $30 you'd spend on Smartphone Connect + Messenger Starter would get you unlimited data and 1500 texts with MEdia Max 1500. Of course, only time will tell if AT&T will consider the iPhone a "smartphone" (the usual designation is whether the device has a QWERTY keyboard). In any case, plan on paying $70-80 with the base amount of minutes (before taxes and fees and the like).

I'll take my Helio Ocean with 500 minutes and unlimited everything else for $32.50 a month, thankyouverymuch. But then again, I get a rad discount, so I'd be kinda stupid not to. (The best part is that I don't have to sign a contract, so that if I ever decide that the iPhone is worth doubling my monthly bill for, I'll be able to jump ship ETF-free. )

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
bender0069

2007-05-10, 08:07

OK, my husband has a PDA type phone from cingular and I have a plain camera phone. We pay $187 per month. This is how it breaks down, and what I think would be required for an iphone since it is a PDA phone like his only better.
We got this plan before the merge, so prices may change some.
Family Talk 2100 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends -$100
Camera phone-media works bundle- $15 (1000 text message and 5mb media download, wireless web)

PDA phone-(probably similar to iphone package)
extra line- $10
Message Starter 200 (200 txt messages) -$5
PDA connect unlimited -$40 (unlimited wireless web time and download)

Then you add all the necessary taxes.
We have a lot of minutes due to my husbands business and he talks on the phone most of the day. With cingular, each phone on the plan has to have there own media bundle, they won't share those, but with PDA based phones they have their own PDA connection package that's different from the other phones that can only download from the media mall and get weather and such, but nothing major.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-10, 08:44

I have a T-Mobile Sidekick3 and I love my plan so far. Right now my break down is:
1000 anytime minutes & unlimited nights and weekends - $49.99
Data package including unlimited text messaging with anyone, email, and email - $20.00
Phone insurance - $5.99

I am thinking about switching to the "My Faves" plan though which is:
600 anytime minutes with unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited calling to any 5 people for $49.99

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-05-10, 09:28

I only spend $15 a month on my phone (~US$12). I really hope it's available here on something reasonable like a $29 cap... Otherwise there's no chance in hell of me being able to get one any time in the next 3 years...

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-10, 09:42

If the iPhone has a similar plan to what I have (around $80) and eventually have something to where you get a certain amount off with a 2 year deal, then I may jump on board. I just got my Sidekick though and I love it so I wouldnt even be able to get the iPhone until like Jan of 09.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-05-10, 09:43

Wow, reading this thread I see that people are willing to pay an awful lot to use their cell phones. I guess I'm officially an old fart now. My cell plan costs $3/month ($0.10/day, actually) and $0.12/minute. Which, for me, works out to like, maybe $4/month.

Ugh.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-10, 09:48

My cell phone is the only phone I use. I use about 1500+ minutes a month and send there about 1000-1500 text messages a month.
Benton

2007-05-10, 22:30

spotcatbug:
Care to share the name of the carrier?
Thanks
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-11, 14:38

Ok, just to add to the comparison factors:

Family Talk with three lines (2 PDA phones (Cingular 8125) and one Firefly) 700 = $80
MediaNet Unlimited x2 = $40 (total)
Text Messaging 1000 x2 = $20 (total)

Monthly bill total is about $140.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
solinari6

2007-05-11, 14:44

From what I remember when I got a smart phone at cingular, they have 2 types of data plans. Smart phone plans, which are relatively cheap, and Blackberry plans, which are a lot more expensive.

I think the main difference is, it's cheap to give unlimited for smartphones, because they are a pain in the ass, and most people aren't constantly doing internet stuff on them.

With the blackberry, the internet is much easier to use, and you're downloading mail and all sorts of crap. So they charge you an arm and a leg.

My guess is that the iPod phone data charge will be more in line to what the blackberry plan costs than the smartphone plan.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-11, 14:56

There are (last I checked) four data plans. Blackberry, PDA connect and Smartphone. The fourth is for regular cell phone connections; MediaNet. I should have a PDA connect plan but I have been 'helped out' by a friend who works at the store.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-05-11, 14:58

I really hope they'll offer an unlimited data plan, but with prepaid talk time minutes... right now I pay 10 cents per minute (and 5 cents per SMS) via Net-10... it averages about $15 per month.

I'd be willing to pay an extra $20-30 for unlimited data along with that... please, AT&T?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-11, 15:03

If I'm going to have a iPhone, they better have a option for data only plan. I don't want to pay for minutes that I'll never ever use.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-05-11, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
spotcatbug:
Care to share the name of the carrier?
Thanks
stimobile.com

I have rate plan #1 (there are 3).

They use the Sprint network.
datapusher

2007-06-22, 11:09

People actually pay for cell phone service?

i'm with MetroPCS in the bay area and it's unlimited everything for 60 bucks a month. it's much better than my Sprint bill that was 120 a month for 2000 minutes, unlimited text and some other EVDO stuff i really didn't need. i think anyone looking to spend $20 a month on iPhone service is eating the iMushrooms at Jerry Garcia's Salad Bar.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-06-22, 11:26

In all, it sounds like the ol' Apple product matrix circa 1999 needs to be applied to AT&T's service plans. Blargh.