User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Unable to see External Drive on Desktop and Finder

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Unable to see External Drive on Desktop and Finder
RickR10

2007-06-22, 22:09

I posted an earlier msg related to this problem. I have a External Hard Drive that's USB/Firewire400/Firewire 800. Earlier I hooked it up to the computer and was able to view it on the desktop or in Finder. I since have hooked it up to a Airport Extreme Base Station and it works fine on there. I have a lot of data to copy to it so tried hooking it up via USB/FW400/FW800 and all ways it won't show up on Finder or the Desktop.

I know it sees the drive. I can hear the hard drive power up when I plug it in. Also, when I remove the hard drive cable it states that I didn't remove the device properly.

What I did is went into the Finder and chose Network, Volumes, and I saw the drive listed there. I also see it listed in Disk Utility.

I chose Get Info for the drive in Finder/Network/Volumes and saw the following:
It has a checkmark under the General Area for Locked
Under Owners & Permissions it says I have no access
Under Details it basically says no access for me, other users, etc.

I know this is probably my problem. I have no idea how it go there but also everything is greyed out. How can I fix this type of problem? DId hooking it up to the base station do this? I formatted the drive as HFS+ on this Mac before hooking up to the base station and it's a Western Digital My Book 500GB.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-22, 23:50

I've not encountered this before, but there should be a lock you can click to unlock the permissions and then change those permission to allow your account access to modify. (This is in the "Get Info" window.)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.