User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Port Forwarding

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Port Forwarding
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2007-06-22, 14:12

Hey,

I use an Asanté FR1004/FR1004AL internet router. I'm trying to use Coda's Cooperative Editing state, and Tim Coulter of Panic said I need to allow Port Forwarding so the sharing requests and such don't get stopped at the router. Anyone know how to do this?

King Kovifor.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 14:20

Well, lot of this depends on some specifics:

What is ports Coda will need to have forwarded? You also will need to know which protocols (TCP/IP or UDP or both) you need.

Where is Coda in your network? It may be more easier on your part if you gave the computer that has Coda installed a static private IP so the router know to always forward the needed port to this computer.

How does the router port forward? In my netgear router, it doesn't forward ports; I create a 'service', then modify 'firewall rules' to accomplish exactly same thing. Be sure to read your router's manual on how you would port forward.

HTH.
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2007-06-22, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Well, lot of this depends on some specifics:

What is ports Coda will need to have forwarded? You also will need to know which protocols (TCP/IP or UDP or both) you need.

Where is Coda in your network? It may be more easier on your part if you gave the computer that has Coda installed a static private IP so the router know to always forward the needed port to this computer.

How does the router port forward? In my netgear router, it doesn't forward ports; I create a 'service', then modify 'firewall rules' to accomplish exactly same thing. Be sure to read your router's manual on how you would port forward.

HTH.
Wow... I'm not sure, Tim never said any of that stuff. Coda is on the only good computer on my network (my really old iMac (probably a 4 or 5 years older than this)) and a Wii (which is only connected to the 'Net). I don't know of Any Manual for my router... I'm attempting to do it over the internet, and not my local network. Here's Tim's E-mail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Hey Jeremy,

If your computer is sitting behind a router, you'll probably need to set up your port forwarding so that Coda's sharing requests get routed to your machine instead of just dying at the router.

Let me know if you have any questions!

--
Tim
Panic, Inc.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 14:46

Okay, first things first.

Is your Asante a modem as well? A lot of modems are *also* router as well. If this is the case, here's the guide on how you would port forward for your Asante.

http://www.asante.com/support/router...ortaccess.html

You can go to Coda's support page to find out what ports you need to have open.
King Kovifor

2007-06-22, 14:48

Quote:
Okay, first things first.

Is your Asante a modem as well? A lot of modems are *also* router as well. If this is the case, here's the guide on how you would port forward for your Asante.

http://www.asante.com/support/router...ortaccess.html

You can go to Coda's support page to find out what ports you need to have open.
No it's not. I have a SURFboard Cable Modem. Isn't that page for the "FriendlyNET FR3000" series? I have an FR1004 router. Same thing? Coda's site says it?

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 14:49

Ok, all right. I wanted to make sure we weren't confusing the modem with routers, as lot of modems out there can act as routers as well.

You said the computer is only one in your network? Does the modem support routing function?
King Kovifor

2007-06-22, 14:52

I feel really stupid. But I don't know. The modem has an ethernet port which connects a computer to the internet. The wire connected to that is connected to the Asanté router, which has 4 more ethernet ports. 1 goes to the main computer, a second to the iMac (really old) upstairs, and a third goes to our Wii...

The modem is a SURFboard SB4100, if that helps...

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 14:55

Don't worry. It's the device manufacturers who makes everything unnecessarily complicated.

Now that I know a bit more about your modem, having googled it. It seems to have one ethernet port, so you do need a router.

Did someone installed the router for you or did you just plugged it in and it worked?
King Kovifor

2007-06-22, 14:57

I think my dad just plugged it in and Worked. My dad doesn't let me do stuff with the computer (yet, I know more then him. lol).

In Coda's help it said to allow coda to do this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coda
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences
Click Sharing
Click Firewall
Click New...
For Port Name, choose "Other"
For TCP Port Number(s), enter: 6942-6951
For Description, enter: Coda
Click OK
So I did. Still working on the router.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 15:09

Okay. I'm just concerned that you may be behind two layers of NAT here.

Do you know if your Asante is a router or a switch? That's a big difference.
King Kovifor

2007-06-22, 15:11

Quote:
Okay. I'm just concerned that you may be behind two layers of NAT here.

Do you know if your Asante is a router or a switch? That's a big difference.
The router says...

ASANTÉ FriendlyNET FR1004/FR1004AL Internet Router

... Which leads me to believe that it is in fact a router.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 15:12

All right now do you know how to access your router's configuration page on your web browser?

If so, can you find out if DHCP and NAT is enabled on the router?

Also check if same two are enabled on your modem.
King Kovifor

2007-06-22, 15:12

Well, me and the person have gotten the sharing to work so... Guessing Coda's help work.

Sorry to waste so much of your time.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 15:13

No problem. Glad to help