Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Combine a G5 tower with an Imac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Combine a G5 tower with an Imac?
sempriny

2008-11-10, 05:31

Hello

I've got a G5 dual 2 GHz PowerPC and my wife has an Intel core Duo Imac. We are moving to a small flat and we're thinking of getting rd of her machine as we only have room for mine. However, I'm using a Formac screen which is pretty much the same size as my wife whole computer. Is it possible for me to run my G5 tower through her Imac, so that a) I can use her screen and b) we can have an almost twice as fast machine?

Probably not I'm guessing but I'm no expert here!

Thanks

S
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-11-10, 05:41

Technically it can be done by using remote desktop software, but that's slow and not practical for everyday use. It's best for occasional maintenance of a server so you don't have to have a monitor hooked up to it all the time.

EDIT: Wait, why would you want to get rid of the Intel machine and keep the PPC one? I know it's a dual processor G5 and it's probably faster for a few things, but the iMac has much more of a future. I'd keep the iMac and sell the Power Mac and the monitor.
sempriny

2008-11-10, 05:51

Really?! Wow, my G5 tower just seems to run so much faster than the Imac, and as I do a lot of video post production then I need all it's juices. I've also upgraded the Imac's RAM to 3G but it's still slow. But maybe there's something I'm doing wrong. Are there clever ways of bringing the Imac back to life?

S
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-11-10, 06:27

As much as it pains me to say it, my mums 2.4Ghz Core Duo 2 iMac kicks my PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz arse. Even with less RAM.

I don't think the processors are to blame, but whole bus and system compenents (such as graphics card) are now quite out-of-date. In my case by 5 years.

Plus more and more programmes are becoming Intel only, so it is a wise idea to keep the iMac as the primary machine.
sempriny

2008-11-10, 06:38

Seems clear enough then. So, my next question is...why is my Imac so slow then!?!

Probably a million and one reasons, but are there tricks I can do to speed the machine up? I've tried removing as much as possible off the machine, and doing the Repair Disk Permissions, but none of this seems to have any effect.

S
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-11-10, 07:14

What are the specs of the iMac?

What type of apps are you running and which in particular seem more speedy on the G5?

Older programmes may indeed run slower if they are still using PPC (non-intel) code, such as old verisons of Photoshop. As your iMac will be "translating" the programme to Intel code to allow it to run.

I am not sure what you level of Mac or IT knowledge is so i have kept things pretty basic.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-11-10, 13:15

I dunno, if it feels faster to you, just keep that one! You can just sell the iMac, and then eventually you can sell the Power Mac as well and get, say, a new iMac. Maybe in a year or two, whenever the Power Mac starts feeling too old. You shouldn't buy a new computer unless you need one.