AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPad mini gonna go boom!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad mini gonna go boom!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-25, 13:29

I was using this 1st Gen iPad mini as a weather display. It was a single app in guided access so even if it crashed it would load right back up. This was awesome until I noticed a little bit of light "leaking" near the clamp that held it on my desk. I took it off and kinda freaked out a little. I'm very grateful it didn't literally burn up before I discovered it. Of course it was plugged in 24/7. Guess the battery in it wasn't designed for this.

It is also so old Apple won't replace the battery in it. It had a ghost tap due to toddler abuse so I found a use for it. Don't leave your crap plugged in 24/7 if it has a battery without checking on it. Heck, my Magic Trackpad did the same but I noticed it was starting to wobble so I unplugged it and leave it unplugged most of the time now.

For reference here is where it was on my desk:

Maybe I'll get that Raspberry Pi connected to a small monitor that doesn't have a battery instead.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 14:50

Maybe sit on the iPad a day or two and see if things improve?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-25, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus Wallace III View Post
Maybe sit on the iPad a day or two and see if things improve?
There is an idea, maybe I'll find some encyclopedias somewhere and pile them on. Better yet, while it is still plugged in too!

Wait, what about a table vice and flatten it back out?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:14

Buttocks are considerably warmer than encyclopedias, though (not only weight is a factor here). I recommend not to plug in the iPad while sitting on it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-25, 15:15

Quote:
Buttocks are considerably warmer than encyclopedias, though (not only weight is a factor here). I recommend not to plug in the iPad while sitting on it.
How about heat gun (on warm) and the table vise?
Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
How about heat gun (on warm) and the table vise?
That will straighten things out, I’m sure.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-25, 15:19

Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:20

Why not use sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-25, 15:31

Well, if lasers are getting involved then it needs to be apes and lasers. The apes would be better to compress the battery back into shape while heating the iPad with their lasers!

Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:35

Quote:
Well, if lasers are getting involved then it needs to be apes and lasers. The apes would be better to compress the battery back into shape while heating the iPad with their lasers!
That is shear genius. Apes and lasers. Lasers and apes.
Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:36

Well, glad we got this matter resolved.
Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:37

Wait, what about apes shooting laser beams out of their buttocks?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-25, 15:43

Quote:
Wait, what about apes shooting laser beams out of their buttocks?
That could work, though it might add unneeded complexity. It would require the ape to use their legs to hold the iPad mini to compress it while aiming their butt at it. Possible though with some training.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-01-25, 15:47

Marcellus, are you familiar with the legend of the Robot Laser Apes?
Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:50

Quote:
That could work, though it might add unneeded complexity. It would require the ape to use their legs to hold the iPad mini to compress it while aiming their butt at it. Possible though with some training.
A complex notion indeed, but it would be cool nevertheless.
Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Marcellus, are you familiar with the legend of the Robot Laser Apes?
No, will dive into it now.
Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-25, 15:59

That is awesomely funny. Rest in peace, LoCash.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-01-25, 16:04

My iPhone 6S and first XS did the same thing. They were not plugged in 24/7, so that likely isn’t the issue. These lithium batteries just go bad eventually I think. That said my 3rd gen full size iPad still works fine as a music player.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-01-25, 18:25

Marcellus did you know that laser apes are not allowed in Toledo? We have a similar view of users of unnatural intelligence from Toledo, is that wrong?

Marcellus Wallace III

2023-01-26, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Marcellus did you know that laser apes are not allowed in Toledo? We have a similar view of users of unnatural intelligence from Toledo, is that wrong?

Laser apes not allowed in Toledo? What kind of place is this?
¡Damned!

2023-01-26, 09:16

Quote:
It is also so old Apple won't replace the battery in it. It had a ghost tap due to toddler abuse so I found a use for it. Don't leave your crap plugged in 24/7 if it has a battery without checking on it. Heck, my Magic Trackpad did the same but I noticed it was starting to wobble so I unplugged it and leave it unplugged most of the time now.
If you're feeling adventurous you could replace the battery yourself – I know that iFixit has parts because I've been mulling doing the same myself to one of my old first gens. It's nice to leave around to occasionally surf on or watch a movie, but the battery doesn't hold a charge for shit.

iFixit linky

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-26, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
If you're feeling adventurous you could replace the battery yourself – I know that iFixit has parts because I've been mulling doing the same myself to one of my old first gens. It's nice to leave around to occasionally surf on or watch a movie, but the battery doesn't hold a charge for shit.

iFixit linky
I've thought about doing this actually. I have everything but the heat pad to soften the glue. Given how much swelling has happened I really only need to heat the short sides that still have some adhesives holding it down. My thing is this clearly isn't the best solution for what I'm trying to do.

I mean, for about the same price as the replacement battery I could get a screen for the Pi sitting on my desk and have it just display a web page interface for the weather station. A little more and it can be touchscreen so I don't even need the keyboard and mouse to get it started. I might have to look at that route on here.

I have no attachment to the iPad in my case, it was just so display the weather. Heck, if I could remove the battery and then put it back together and run it without the battery I could consider using it like that then. It is still a good screen for the purpose but I don't want to deal with the battery since it would be on and plugged in 24/7.

Maybe that is what I'll do, try to remove the battery and see if it will work without the battery...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-26, 10:02

Apparently removing the battery will only result in the dead battery graphic on the screen. According to the web, the iPad runs off the battery only so plugging it in just keeps it "topped off".

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-01-26, 10:53

Standard operation now days, even MacBooks have been like that since the days of user swappable batteries disappeared.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-30, 18:58

I'm a glutton for punishment some times...

This is a REALLY old mini running iOS 9. It is now my weather display... via Safari because none of the other apps work on this iPad. At least I get it with this old version of Safari!