Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

TV tuner app compatible with ATI USB2 Tuner

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
TV tuner app compatible with ATI USB2 Tuner
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-04-24, 19:55

OK...the gist of my problem is this. I bought a stock ATI TV Wonder USB2.0 a while back, mainly for use during an upcoming deployment. After-the-fact, I realized that Elgato sells a bundle that includes the same hardware with their EyeTV application, which they do not sell separately. I would rather not spend another $150 on a second tuner just to get the EyeTV app.

Is anyone here familiar with a decent OS X tuner application that is compatible with this particular tuner? Google seems to have forsaken me on this one, but maybe there's just something I missed (I'm going to keep searching, regardless).
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-04-24, 19:58

Um, they don't sell it, but if I'm not mistaken it's a free download. Have you tried downloading the app?
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-04-24, 20:00

I really wish that was the case; however, it requires a serial # that I believe comes with the bundle.

For clarification: the ATI tuner itself, without the EyeTV software, is only $99.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-04-24, 20:28

These programs don't have the usr-friendliness of EyeTV, but you could check them out:
iTV
XTV
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-04-24, 20:32

Hrm...seeing as the most recent versions of both of those apps were released in 2003 and 2002 respectively, I'm fairly certain that they won't support the newer tuners (heck, most of the current software won't support 'em!). I'll try 'em anyway, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Addendum: It's rather unnerving to see the phrase 'This software may destroy your computer' in any application's installer...

Last edited by SpecMode : 2005-04-24 at 20:41.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-04-24, 20:59

Yea, I have a feeling these are not bug-free programs. However, I did a little research and people did have success displaying video and audio with these programs and your ATI hardware.

It looks like Elgato first sold ATI and Plextor PC hardware and included a serial number to verify you purchased both the hardware and EyeTV software in order to use it with a Mac. Nowadays, the Plextor device has a /MAC added to the serial number in the firmware and EyeTV won't ask for a serial number if it finds that. I haven't found similar information on the "EyeTV Wonder" so I am guessing the firmware is exactly the same as ATI's PC product.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-24, 21:19

I never needed to input a serial number with the program... but I did buy it when they debuted the system at MWNY2001...

Maybe things have changed since then...
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-04-24, 21:41

Well, bugger that...no luck on either app. Guess it's back to plan B: keep bugging Elgato to offer the EyeTV app for purchase without bundled hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Yea, I have a feeling these are not bug-free programs. However, I did a little research and people did have success displaying video and audio with these programs and your ATI hardware.
Is there a chance you could point me in the right direction? Also, FWIW, I should have mentioned at the beginning that I'm running Tiger at the moment. That nixed at least one program I tried, right off the bat.