User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

looking for a software to prioritize processes (UB?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
looking for a software to prioritize processes (UB?)
spinnerlys

2007-10-21, 08:40

Hello everyone.

On my iBook I used "Process Wizard" to prioritize certain processes over others.
Mainly VLC over Handbrake or something.

I have only found another software called "BeNicer" which could do that, but both programs are still not UB.

Is there any other software like "Process Wizard" or "BeNicer" which is already UB?

Thanks for the input.

PS: Now I have an i(ntel)Mac, and Bits on Wheels is taking a shot to the top.
Maybe because it has to go through Rosetta?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-21, 08:52

You can use the renice CLI tool. I'm not convinced process priority is all that relevant these days, though.
spinnerlys

2007-10-21, 09:33

Thanks.
I will look into it.

I thought so too, when I bought the Intel Mac, but this process "Bits on Wheels" was taking almost 190% of the CPU, while Handbrake was encoding.

I'll see.

edit: formatting
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-21, 10:29

Try Transmission if you want a lightweight BitTorrent client. As far as I know, Bits on Wheels hasn't been in development in a long time.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-10-21, 11:37

Personally, I'd go out of my way to avoid having anything run in rosetta, especially with something so prevalent as a BitTorrent client. There are so many different universal clients nowadays so you really shouldn't have to use one that's not been made universal unless it has a 'must-have' feature. I'd emphasise this point further since your original question is with regard to prioritising processes. Why waste CPU time on emulating PPC code when there are dozens of UB apps that can do the job more efficiently.
spinnerlys

2007-10-21, 11:40

@ chucker:

I tried Transmission recently, but it crashed more than enough on me, while Bits on Wheels seemed to be fairly stable (when left alone). All that happened at least on the G4 iBook.
Maybe Transmission is more stable on an Intel.
I'll try again.

PS: Bits on Wheels is on halt since the end of 2005.

PPS: I like on the new iMac, that when something crashes, it crashes faster and doesn't bring the whole system into an almost lockdown-like state (especially the Finder wouldn't like to restart on my iBook).

@ turbulentfurball:

I know, that there are more than enough (almost, uTorrent is still not available) Torrent-clients, which aren't PPC. But Bits on Wheels is at least for me a very good client, with enough preferences, that would satisfy my need for control, and enough information for the actual torrent, that I know what I'm on to.

Transmission is quite good, but lacks certain details it can give me on the actual torrent (in the same window; even the Inspector is lacking some details).

The other one I know is Azureus, but that was really a resource baiter.

BitTorrent and Tomato Torrent are below my radar (I read not so god reviews about them).

Ah, waiting for uTorrent.

On to more important things. Spooks and cleaning the room.

Last edited by spinnerlys : 2007-10-21 at 11:55. Reason: addressing chucker and turbulentfurbal, correcting syntax, making one instead of two posts (n00b with a post count aversion)